TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Should the FA/EFL etc introduce a time keeper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know some games in the WC had 10-15 mins of extra time , however I think that’s a good idea. An independent time keeper should be used at games to ensure the correct amount of time is played, after all we pay a lot of money to watch 90mins of football, not time wasting, histrionics, fake ( & real ) injuries. If the players haven’t the stamina for actual 90 mins of play then maybe reduce it to three sections of 30 mins so they get an extra break. 
I believe over time , players wasting time and scrupulous tactics would soon be reduced radically. 
Anyway just a thought whilst having a Christmas pint or three.
Merry Crimbo all.
(24-12-2022, 02:42 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I know some games in the WC had 10-15 mins of extra time , however I think that’s a good idea. An independent time keeper should be used at games to ensure the correct amount of time is played, after all we pay a lot of money to watch 90mins of football, not time wasting, histrionics, fake ( & real ) injuries. If the players haven’t the stamina for actual 90 mins of play then maybe reduce it to three sections of 30 mins so they get an extra break. 
I believe over time , players wasting time and scrupulous tactics would soon be reduced radically. 
Merry Crimbo all.

In the present situation most of us have had enough after an hour.
No thanks.
The ref is the timekeeper.

I’d support the idea of sendings off for time wasting and diving. Straight reds!
'Should the FA/EFL etc introduce a time keeper?'

Yes - the ref's got a lot going on so might as well have someone with nothing to do but stare at a timer sorting out timing.
Yes
And I'm now in favour of reducing the game to 60 mins but with a very strict timekeeper. Only run the clock when the ball is in play.
Then there is zero advantage to time wasting and all the rest.
The game against Ipswich comes to mind when they scored late and their fans wouldn’t give the ball back when it went out of play. If that had happened in the Prem something might have been done about it by now
In any other walk of life, you'd be entitled to compo if something or a product didn't do what it was supposed to, yet footie fans Gladly put up with losing countless minutes of a game due to nefarious actions of teams. I think the world cup demonstrated that the paying public are entitled to their money's worth when watching a game of football that's the full 90 minutes, after all players get humungous wages, like us all they should earn them.PUP
Why not appoint the 4th official as designated timekeeper?

They don't appear to do very much bar get screamed at by opposing managers ..... !
(24-12-2022, 02:42 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I know some games in the WC had 10-15 mins of extra time , however I think that’s a good idea. An independent time keeper should be used at games to ensure the correct amount of time is played, after all we pay a lot of money to watch 90mins of football, not time wasting, histrionics, fake ( & real ) injuries. If the players haven’t the stamina for actual 90 mins of play then maybe reduce it to three sections of 30 mins so they get an extra break. 
Merry Crimbo all.

Brilliant idea and just what we need.  Fed up of timewasting.
The referee has to be person to decide how much time to add and for what. Giving that decision to someone else just weakens the ref's authority.

I really can't see anything wrong with the current system, and it was the ref making the decisions in Qatar so that proves it can work without adding any more officials which could never be replicated lower down the football ladder.
(26-12-2022, 11:12 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]The referee has to be person to decide how much time to add and for what. Giving that decision to someone else just weakens the ref's authority.

I really can't see anything wrong with the current system, and it was the ref making the decisions in Qatar so that proves it can work without adding any more officials which could never be replicated lower down the football ladder.

if the referees were backed 100% but they never are beyond the first couple of weeks of the season. 

I'd actually go for a team of 4 linos, a time keeper and the big ref in charge. with a TV pitch side for him to check