TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Boxing Day memories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Top of my list....
1-0 v Brighton 1976. Fratton Park absolutely stuffed to see Kempie's winner. What an atmosphere.
Fantastic game. 32000 I seem to recall
2001 beaten at Gillingham 2.0. Awful display despite having Prosinecki and Crouchie, mind you we did have Yoshi in goal and Carl Tiler plus Jamie Vincent on view. 3 days later came a Grimsby 3.1 loss before the infamous Orient at home 4.1 Cup defeat
(26-12-2022, 01:29 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Top of my list....
1-0 v Brighton 1976. Fratton Park absolutely stuffed to see Kempie's winner. What an atmosphere.

With Maitland Pollock on hand.
or Brighton away. Freezing, got squahed by a police horse and a bring nil nil in a decrepit ground!
(26-12-2022, 01:47 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]2001 beaten at Gillingham 2.0. Awful display despite having Prosinecki and Crouchie, mind you we did have Yoshi in goal and Carl Tiler plus Jamie Vincent on view. 3 days later came a Grimsby 3.1 loss before the infamous Orient at home 4.1 Cup defeat

...well, I suppose nobody said it had to be 'good' memories.

Thanks for all that  Sad  Wink
(26-12-2022, 01:47 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]2001 beaten at Gillingham 2.0. Awful display despite having Prosinecki and Crouchie, mind you we did have Yoshi in goal and Carl Tiler plus Jamie Vincent on view. 3 days later came a Grimsby 3.1 loss before the infamous Orient at home 4.1 Cup defeat

I remember going to that game. Really small ground & was standing at pitch level so not a great view! Also remember getting stuffed by Orient in the F.A. Cup game. Dreadful run.
I often wondered how Harry would have managed a team with such stars but also weaker areas. Apart from going to the owner and telling them he was down to the bear bones and needed 4 players each window
(27-12-2022, 07:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I often wondered how Harry would have managed a team with such stars but also weaker areas. Apart from going to the owner and telling them he was down to the bear bones and needed 4 players each window

Harry was at the club for the games mentioned, but as DOF managed to distance himself from anything going on on the pitch.  But we saw how he would manage them pretty soon after and it was by selling the most valuable player and spending the money wisely on better players.
(27-12-2022, 08:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-12-2022, 07:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I often wondered how Harry would have managed a team with such stars but also weaker areas. Apart from going to the owner and telling them he was down to the bear bones and needed 4 players each window

Harry was at the club for the games mentioned, but as DOF managed to distance himself from anything going on on the pitch.  But we saw how he would manage them pretty soon after and it was by selling the most valuable player and spending the money wisely on better players.

sounds a plan if you can do it. AB benefited in just the same way, and by also already being part of the club so knew what needed to change.
He genuinely backed the manager too. Rix wanted Crouch, Milan thought he was a basketball player, Rix was backed by Harry on that one