TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Half time report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m watching a ‘live’ replay (if that makes any sense at all). I missed the game yesterday but, thanks to I follow  I’m watching the complete replay.

After a frantic start by Exeter, we gradually started to come into the game. We seem to have learnt how to pass again. Good news!

Humes excellent effort on goal sparked a real threat from Pompey. Tunnicliffe and Dale driving at Exeter consistently after that.

Not all one way traffic though. Dale is definitely not a wing back (at least not a good one) and he was consistently caught wanting on our hitherto weak right side. He got booked for a challenge, later on in the half. Regardless of the commentary teams opinion, it was a foul because he was second to the ball and nowhere near a shoulder to shoulder challenge, as he claimed. A booking though…?

Our midfield were threatening and produced almost all the real threats on goal (ably aided by our defenders).

Our attackers were pretty ineffective, tbh. Bishop huffed and puffed. Pigott spent most of the time losing the ball or putting it out of play. He had one moment where he caught a defender in possession but that was completely the defenders fault. If anyone was hoping that there is a magical understanding between him and Bishop…sorry, they were perfect strangers.

Defensively ok in the middle. Morrison doing well. Our flanks are very exposed. We need a fit Swanson asap.
...... and we left the subs too late, it did seem that they were making good chances.
(27-12-2022, 09:44 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’m watching a ‘live’ replay (if that makes any sense at all). I missed the game yesterday but, thanks to I follow  I’m watching the complete replay.

After a frantic start by Exeter, we gradually started to come into the game. We seem to have learnt how to pass again. Good news!

Humes excellent effort on goal sparked a real threat from Pompey. Tunnicliffe and Dale driving at Exeter consistently after that.

Not all one way traffic though. Dale is definitely not a wing back (at least not a good one) and he was consistently caught wanting on our hitherto weak right side. He got booked for a challenge, later on in the half. Regardless of the commentary teams opinion, it was a foul because he was second to the ball and nowhere near a shoulder to shoulder challenge, as he claimed. A booking though…?

Our midfield were threatening and produced almost all the real threats on goal (ably aided by our defenders).

Our attackers were pretty ineffective, tbh. Bishop huffed and puffed. Pigott spent most of the time losing the ball or putting it out of play. He had one moment where he caught a defender in possession but that was completely the defenders fault. If anyone was hoping that there is a magical understanding between him and Bishop…sorry, they were perfect strangers.

Defensively ok in the middle. Morrison doing well. Our flanks are very exposed. We need a fit Swanson asa
Thanks for the report Cunning. I only heard on Solent the start & end of the game while travelling back from Pompey yesterday. Definitely agree about Dale Not being a Wing back as has trouble defending. Hopefully, Swanson is nearly back up to full pace for Ipswich on Thursday. Scarlett being ill gave the chance to pair Piggot & Bishop which obviously didn't work. Guy kept saying they're missing Scarlett's pace. 
It sounded a much improved performance from MK dons at least. We just need some cutting edge up front to turn pressure into goals. Let's hope we can get on the front foot from the start against Ipswich & score an early goal to settle the nerves & with a packed Fratton Park behind them they can gain a long awaited win!
For me there are two main problems; too many changes in the line-up and formation week to week and an over-elaboration in the final third of the pitch.

Whether because of inury, illness or tactical, we haven't had a settled side for a long time so there are always new partnerships to forge, new roles to learn and new understandings to form. As a result, we often look like strangers playing together. 

When we reach the danger areas, we are looking for an extra pass, trying to get past another defender basically trying to force the issue instead of being brave and confident enough to play the early ball in or take a shot.

There have been some moments - maybe four or five occasions yesterday, when we strung some passes together to take the ball into their danger areas but all too often we resorted to hoofing it up field. There is an air of desperation about our play and we need someone in the middle of the park to put their foot on the ball and wait for the right pass. 

Yesterday showed that we are not that far off. I don't think anyone - including Bishop and Pigott - did badly and a settled side with a calm influence pulling the strings is key to us turning things around. But Cowley will be unable to resist chopping and changing again for Ipswich with the inevitable result.
But Pigott will be out on Thursday.
I thought yesterday it really stood out how loath all of our wingers are to go outside and whip in the cross. Exeter had less chances to do so but got crosses along the six yard line several times. If we mixed it up a bit we might be less easy to defend against.
(27-12-2022, 09:44 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’m watching a ‘live’ replay (if that makes any sense at all). I missed the game yesterday but, thanks to I follow  I’m watching the complete replay.

Defensively ok in the middle. Morrison doing well. Our flanks are very exposed. We need a fit Swanson asap.

Slot in unwanted and unused striker and expect him to form a partnership immediately.
(27-12-2022, 11:54 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Slot in unwanted and unused striker and expect him to form a partnership immediately.

A lot who think he did it immediately in the first few games, 

He just looks lethargic, to me. Offers very little And certainly not in any sort of form.

I’ll watch the second half later and see how it progresses. At least the first half was watchable and, for the record, the wingers were attempting to get to the byline.