TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Played off the park
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well that was a tad embarrassing . All ( well  very slightly ) huff and puff. Other than the first 10mins we were out played and out classed. Ipswich played the tactics they way Cowley wishes he could get us playing. They closed us down,passed the ball with ease,played out the back in 3 or 4 passes and had pace on the wings. We in turn spent most of the match chasing shadows. I have never known a Pompey team to give away possession like this lot. Yes Pack scored a great free kick and Raggett did well to head the ball across goal for Bishop to knock in,but that was it.

We are not going up, I very much doubt we'll reach the play-offs especially if we continue with our style of play.
The best thing we could now is get rid of DC,he doesn't appear to know how to motivate or get us out of this mess (these are his players and his tactics). I know he'll talk about coughs and colds and injuries and how we can build on this blah blah blah blah! but he hasn't got a clue.
If you read Neil Allens player review of the game then myself and those around me in the FE were watching a different game.

Being totally honest, a draw flattered us and a if we had held on for a 2-1 win then Ipswich would've been robbed. They are going up unless something drastic happens,they were by far the best team at FP this year.

There's always next season.
Danny didn’t hear any boos at full time, I think he needs his ears cleaning out.
Ipswich are where they are because of one primary fact - hard work, hard work and more hard work .
(30-12-2022, 09:43 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Ipswich are where they are because of one primary fact - hard work, hard work and more hard work .

That and a good manager with good tactics who gets his ideas across to his players in a way they can understand. And a team built around their own players (not loans in crucial positions), and players without awful injury histories.
I think Kieran McKenna is a lucky general. He is a a 36 year old rookie who has inherited the nucleus of Cook's side, which began a new cycle after the Jacketball of Paul Lambert. This is his first managerial post in senior football.

This is the group's second season, and they have added 3-4 upgrades in key areas.

Harness splits their fans with his blowing hot and cold, as he did for us.
(30-12-2022, 09:43 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Ipswich are where they are because of one primary fact - hard work, hard work and more hard work .

A wage bill nearly double the size of ours helps a bit too.
(30-12-2022, 10:14 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]I think Kieran McKenna is a lucky general. He is a a 36 year old rookie who has inherited the nucleus of Cook's side, which began a new cycle after the Jacketball of Paul Lambert. This is his first managerial post in senior football.

This is the group's second season, and they have added 3-4 upgrades in key areas.

Harness splits their fans with his blowing hot and cold, as he did for us.

McKenna was Spurs U18 coach then Man U's U18 coach then promoted to assistant manager under Mourinho . So he's had a very good education. i know its not as good as being a PE teacher and manager of Lincoln City,but we can hope.

Nothing to do with paying shedloads for ex championship players and high wages then? They paid a six figure fee for harness and bought ahadme for the hell of it. Venture capital owners that will bleed that club dry when they fail to do the same in the championship.

Also, they didn't beat us. Some pfc fans I think are genuinely gutted that they didn't do so.
Ipswich haven't spent the money you think they have.They sold a lot of players for good money pre season. They also have almost 20K STH's and regularly get gates of over 30K. I always want Pompey to win but I can also admit when we're out classed and yes Ipswich did deserve to win last. If we played like Ipswich last night then FP would be buzzing.
Unfortunately this is about our level now. We are just not good enough. Since the Eisners took over we have never really had the level of investment necessary in the playing squad to truly challenge for promotion. It was clear yesterday that our squad is seriously lacking in depth. We should have been able to close out the game but sadly didn’t have the players to do it. If anything, all things considered we have probably over achieved.

They may say they want us to climb the league, but season after season we patiently await the quality signings constantly linked to the club, only to be outbid by most of our rivals. This season has been no different and I don’t expect any marquee signings in January either (really hope I’m wrong).
We might make the play offs (half the league could) but we are miles away from a team that genuinely competes for top 2 spots. For all his talk of a high press, energetic team, Ipswich had that and we didn’t. There were some positives though. Improvement on MK thank God! Swanson decent and improving. Ogilvie found his form. Morrell back playing. Pack much better. Sunday is a new year and desperately needs a home win or the knives will be out. Thankfully it’s only Charlton who have beaten us 6 times in a row here!!!
(30-12-2022, 11:40 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ipswich haven't spent the money you think they have.They sold a lot of players for good money pre season. They also have almost 20K STH's and regularly get gates of over 30K. I always want Pompey to win but I can also admit when we're out classed and yes Ipswich did deserve to win last. If we played like Ipswich last night then FP would be buzzing.

They have spent over 5m on players on transfer fees alone in the past two seasons, and signed some very high earning free transfers on top of that.   Yes, some of that 5m will be offset by sales but it still remains a fact that their wage bill is in a completely different league to ours.  

They are gambling big time on getting promotion this season. but so are the likes of Sheff Wed & Derby so they are no certainty to go up, especially if they fail to win games when they are on top like last night.
I have no idea what Ipswich are paying their players and neither do you
(30-12-2022, 04:52 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what Ipswich are paying their players and neither do you

Press reports are that Sheff Wed & Ipswich are have 9m+ playing budgets. 

We know ours is around the 5m mark. 

But as you say no-one knows the exact amounts, including you, so you can't say with any certainty that the press reports are wide of the mark.
(30-12-2022, 10:17 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

A wage bill nearly double the size of ours helps a bit too.

But you need to speculate to accumulate! If you want better contract players you need to pay the wages.

Pompey owners not prepared to splash the cash enough.

Our only chance ofthe play offs is to get all our injured players back + 2-3 transfer window signings/loans.
(30-12-2022, 11:28 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Nothing to do with paying shedloads for ex championship players and high wages then? They paid a six figure fee for harness and bought ahadme for the hell of it. Venture capital owners that will bleed that club dry when they fail to do the same in the championship.

Also, they didn't beat us. Some pfc fans I think are genuinely gutted that they didn't do so.

Suggest you read the Ipswich Supporters recent in peace post. He points out that the owners aren't a VCT Co but a Pension one so less risky decision making. They are also investing in the club infrastrucure. The Eisners would be well advised to follow their example.
Let's see if they support D.C. in the January Transfer window.

We have the cups runs & tv money but the owners need to at least match that amount.

If they don't we'll definitely be stuck in Div 1 for yet another season.
The Eisners have said right from the start that the days of throwing money at players in the form of transfer fees wasn't on. They are investing in the infrastructure through equity i.e. Fratton Park & The Training ground, that in time will provide income to be spent on the playing budget i.e Transfer Fees & better wage for better players.

I was fortunate enough to sit in one of the new £35 padded seats in the South Lower last night, me & my son spent c£30 on one pre-match drink and a rather tasty sausage roll & drink at half time. Only 18 months ago we would have had zilch to spend money on in the ground. If 25% of that goes to the club (£7.50) & you replicate that by 7,500 that is £50K per match, times by say 20 matches , a cool £1m on the playing budget. Add the cup runs, tv money and other commercial income to that and you have....... £2m?

That is the harsh reality for you I want, I must have, I can't wait brigade - it isn't going to change so cut the bellyaching support the owners & the management & the team.
(30-12-2022, 07:22 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]The Eisners have said right from the start that the days of throwing money at players in the form of transfer fees wasn't on. They are investing in the infrastructure through equity i.e.  Fratton Park & The Training ground, that in time will provide income to be spent on the playing budget i.e Transfer Fees & better wage for better players.

I was fortunate enough to sit in one of the new £35 padded seats in the South Lower last night, me & my son spent c£30 on one pre-match drink and a rather tasty sausage roll & drink at half time. Only 18 months ago we would  have had zilch to spend money on in the ground.  If 25% of that goes to the club (£7.50) & you replicate that by 7,500 that is £50K per match, times by say 20 matches , a cool £1m on the playing budget. Add the cup runs, tv money  and other commercial income to that and you have.......  £2m?

That is the harsh reality for you I want, I must have, I can't wait brigade - it isn't going to change so cut the bellyaching support the owners & the management & the team.

I take your point but if Ipswich can progress at the rate they're going & supporting the infrastrucure as well there's No reason Pompey can't. The only difference is they have a much larger capacity than us. After all the Milton redevopment work we'll only be adding approx 2,000 max to capacity so 20-21K max capacity. 

They regularly get 26K+. They've also appointed a good manager & given him a decent budget. In a nutshell we can't compete with them. We will have to wait another 3 years minimum to be in a stronger position without out any guarantee of promotion.
(30-12-2022, 09:05 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-12-2022, 07:22 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]The Eisners have said right from the start that the days of throwing money at players in the form of transfer fees wasn't on. They are investing in the infrastructure through equity i.e.  Fratton Park & The Training ground, that in time will provide income to be spent on the playing budget i.e Transfer Fees & better wage for better players.

I was fortunate enough to sit in one of the new £35 padded seats in the South Lower last night, me & my son spent c£30 on one pre-match drink and a rather tasty sausage roll & drink at half time. Only 18 months ago we would  have had zilch to spend money on in the ground.  If 25% of that goes to the club (£7.50) & you replicate that by 7,500 that is £50K per match, times by say 20 matches , a cool £1m on the playing budget. Add the cup runs, tv money  and other commercial income to that and you have.......  £2m?

I take your point but if Ipswich can progress at the rate they're going & supporting the infrastrucure as well there's No reason Pompey can't. The only difference is they have a much larger capacity than us. After all the Milton redevopment work we'll only be adding approx 2,000 max to capacity so 20-21K max capacity. 

They regularly get 26K+. They've also appointed a good manager & given him a decent budget. In a nutshell we can't compete with them. We will have to wait another 3 years minimum to be in a stronger position without out any guarantee of promotion.

So what is wrong with waiting,when we go up we want to stay up,  we are building on a solid footing, putting down the foundations for future growth over many years. I've no doubt once the Milton End refurbishments are complete and Andy Cullen can demonstrate to Tornante the money that can come in to the club from a properly re-built North Stand that will be next on the agenda

If the money markets go pop so do the Dipswitch Pension Pot owners !!
talking Ipswich, they seemed a physically big side from watching on iplayer. There is that old saying that a team of good bigguns will usually beat a team of good littluns.

The I can't wait brigade?? Bullshit. They've been here 6 years and wouldn't know a decent manager if it bit them on the arse. We've got worse in that time, not improved. If Eisner thinks the supporters are going to be appeased with comfy seats and a sausage roll then he can FRO. Time to invest in the team, after all, that's what it's all about!!
(31-12-2022, 10:22 AM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]

That is the harsh reality for you I want, I must have, I can't wait Big Grin brigade - it isn't going to change so cut the bellyaching support the owners & the management & the team.

The I can't wait brigade?? Bullshit. They've been here 6 years and wouldn't know a decent manager if it bit them on the arse. We've got worse in that time, not improved. If Eisner thinks the supporters are going to be appeased with comfy seats and a sausage roll then he can FRO. Time to invest in the team, after all, that's what it's all about!!

Yeah the I must have, I I can't wait brigade - you one of them then Spunk Bubble  Big Grin

What don't you understand about Tornante saying right from the off about not spending big money on the playing side you thick coont.

It ain't going to happen like you want it moosh, so you may as well FRO and save your smelly breath yfc !!
I didn't say anything about spending big money, just that he should invest in the team instead of trying to do it on the cheap. We've been out of the championship for 10 years....if that qualifies for "I can't wait" then you're a bigger twat than than I though. Going backwards on the pitch. League one forever.
Don't be such a "poor tool" you Premierised Spunk Bubble - think about something for once in your sad lonely life.

The investment (equity) is in the ground & training ground - that in turn will produce a lot more more income for the club which will then be invested in the playing side.

Patience and looking at the bigger picture is quite obviously beyond your capabilities- poor Spunk Bubble !!!
Pages: 1 2