TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Safe, stale blues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking about this and I reckon I know what the problem is.

It's us - the supporters.

Wtf?!

Let me explain.

As Pompey fans we are at our best when we are fighting to go up, and fighting to stay up, or worse, to exist. Backs to the wall, siege mentality, attracting the plaudits of the great and the good in the press, their pundits and their broadcasters. 

In between those extremes, we have seen a couple of years where we have pushed to qualify for Europe and we have been to Wembley about five or six times, including two FA Cup finals. If you could pick a time to be born and watch Pompey, we have won the lottery without question.

I don't think that spoils us, but we have been overstimulated in relative terms to other clubs because what is extreme for them is normalised for us.

We also have to take into account now that the late 20s/early 30s bracket started out their Pompey following in the Premier League - no tonkings by Leyton Orient or Oxford in sight in those formative years!

So then, fast forward to today. We are languishing in League 1, the middle of the third tier - yes the the third fooking tier. We aren't going up and we aren't going down. We are also-rans, and we aren't used to it. The Premier League 25 man squad rule has affected all layers of the professional pyramid and the division. Is now a venerable who's who of well funded former Premier League teams who fucked it. That said, the league is fooking shit and we are a solid 5 out of 10 in it's quality.

Unsurprisingly then, we are bored! We aren't going down so we expect to be going up, but we aren't. We aren't used to this. Somehow throughout the last few decades, we have barely ever existed as midtable fodder. Unsurprisingly again, our boredom has turned to anger, and we are looking for someone to blame. Cowley is in the cross hairs for someone, the Eisners for others.

I almost think it would be a better season if we nose dived and became embroiled in a relegation battle, in entertainment terms, to give this season some meaning and to galvanise the fans.

Obviously I hope for the opposite and we make some sharp, shrewd changes in the next couple of weeks that turns us around and has us aiming up again, trying to collect that missing item in our Pompey panini books - a fooking play off game win!

Then maybe we can return to the Championship, getting a hiding every week playing the Christmas tree formation, fighting to stay up, probably away to someone like Bradford or Barnsley - old school!

PUP
All I expect is 100% effort and hope that we will improve, it’s the hope that’s missing at the moment.
Excellent post.
In short we have a suspect goalkeeper who just happens to be an England Under 21 international; a good defence in open play but can't defend set pieces; a midfield without any genuine flair and little up front except a consistent goalscorer, when and if he presented with a chance. Overall we lack pace and fitness in combination with strategy that fits the skills and technical ability of the current squad.
So why do we find ourselves in this position?
Shouldn't be too hard to work out. The players themselves but also a manager who is out of his depth and an owner who steadfastly refuses to invest or show any genuine ambition for reasons that have been well documented and, quite frankly, won't give a toss if nearly 19,000 turn up for an evening game. You pay your money you take your choice but without fundamental change or proper investment this is our lot for the forseeable future.
We are light years behind Ipswich and the reason for that is any of the above.
Never mind, perhaps we'll scrape a 1-0 on New Years Day!!
All true but at heart football is supposed to entertain and to give some sense of pride in your team. The problem isn't the Eisners or the players (they're Div3 ffs) or unreasonable supporter expectations, it's the wrenching disappointment of seeing your team at home, in their own third, behind the ball and just waiting for the opposition to come at them like rabbits in the headlights. This is coaching and tactics so it's Cowley.

I'd have much preferred to see us go for it and lose 2-3 last night. At least I could have left with some pride in the team.
BlueWight it is difficult to argue with your prognosis ....Sadly !

The keeper :- I carried the flag for BASS but obviously DC didn't rate him, and it is unfortunate for our keeper but I find him frustrating - ( spends a lot of time looking at his feet) also, to my ignorant view of goalkeeping not damned fearless enough, - doesn't want to come for the ball.

Fitness - very apparent again last night IPSWICH totally at it all through WHY ?

DC just not getting the best out of players.

DALE last night much better than Harness - Until, until that final decision pass...pass... or try a clever trick - or fail to make a killer pass to a teammate. It has been going on long enough, can Danny not see it ??

PUP
Dale has one trick,his little turn inside,which Ipswich sussed the second time he tried it and always had an extra man on his inside.
Koroma needs to go back doesn’t he? He seems a waste of time to me or is that unfair?
We seem to like signing wingers who always cut inside so very easy to set up to defend against them. The only one who has consistently set up chances or scored goals is running out of contract.
As mentioned, a keeper who is super glued to his line putting pressure on the defenders whenever a half decent cross comes into the box.
And throwing the advantage of our crowd to the wind by failing to give them any hope of improvement or any real attacking intent to get behind.
And a constant stream of excused and promises to do better.
Sad,
(30-12-2022, 12:30 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Koroma needs to go back doesn’t he? He seems a waste of time to me or is that unfair?

He is a waste of time yet he keeps getting starts, does DC think he’s doing well?!
(31-12-2022, 11:20 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-12-2022, 12:30 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Koroma needs to go back doesn’t he? He seems a waste of time to me or is that unfair?

He is a waste of time yet he keeps getting starts, does DC think he’s doing well?!

It feels like he does not much care f they do well as long as he can keep the parent club happy and get another similar player next season. If we were focussing on the likes of Chelsea and Spurs that might be fair enough but Blackpool and Huddersfield?