TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Transfer window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have no time for the idiots on here who simply revel in the decision by foul mouthing DC and his brother. Nevertheless the correct decision has been made but several weeks too late in terms of where we are in the season and, arguably more importantly, the opening of the tranfer window.
Since Cowley had a ringing vote of confidence just two weeks ago I'm guessing we haven't got anyone lined up for the job and that leaves with the new man having to have his own ideas or lean (and rely) on Hughes on who will be leaving through the revolving door and importantly who might be coming in. There is an argument for letting all lfive oans return to their respective clubs. Then there's Tunnicliffe and Freeman and people like Curtis, although I think he'll stay under a new manager. And what do we desperately need? Ideally a keeper, a central defender and some genuine flair and pace in the middle of the park and up front.
Eisner Junior seems to think that the play-offs is not a lost cause. Well he and hundreds of others that deal in misplaced optimism need to get into the real world and hope that this decision and what follows should just about keep us out of relegation fight. Eisner also needs to get used to the idea of spending some money and providing the new sucker with a playing budget appropriate to a big club with home gates averaging close to 20,000.
The play-offs are perfectly practical with the present squad. We have already seen they can be decent enough. The constant chopping and changing of the team and the persistence with poorly performing Premier League loan players was what did for Cowley and the team.
(03-01-2023, 08:11 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]The play-offs are perfectly practical with the present squad. We have already seen they can be decent enough. The constant chopping and changing of the team and the persistence with poorly performing Premier League loan players was what did for Cowley and the team.

Agreed. Look at Reeco, I think the only position he hasn’t played this season is CB and GK.

All we can realistically do in TW now is replace the loans.
I think there would be takers for Freeman, Curtis, Jacobs and Tunnicliffe. We need to sell to free up spaces. Otherwise we’re stuck with loans again.

I believe we currently have only space for one senior squad player, at the mo.
(03-01-2023, 03:30 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I think there would be takers for Freeman, Curtis, Jacobs and Tunnicliffe. We need to sell to free up spaces. Otherwise we’re stuck with loans again.

If somehow we brought wilder in I’d imagine Freeman would be sticking around till at least the summer
(03-01-2023, 03:30 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I think there would be takers for Freeman, Curtis, Jacobs and Tunnicliffe. We need to sell to free up spaces. Otherwise we’re stuck with loans again.

Trouble is Curtis thinks he should get a move to the Championship and despite the twice yearly talk nothing ever materialises. Will he take a move to Oxford?

Scarlett, Griffiths and Koroma need to go ASAP. I don’t think we can send Piggot back. I’d like to see Dale in a team that goes forward rather than backwards or sideways.
connor wickham Is the sort of player we should look to bring in. a experienced goal scorer Him next to bishop would be great. 9 goals in 20 and bags of experience also the right side of 30 (just).
According to Cullen there is a board meeting tonight to discuss player recruitment and Hughes has already identified targets.
I’m almost more interested in who we get rid of than who we recruit. Get rid of the rotten apples.

We do need a leader on the pitch. Robertson is not captain material.
(04-01-2023, 08:00 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’m almost more interested in who we get rid of than who we recruit. Get rid of the rotten apples.

We do need a leader on the pitch. Robertson is not captain material.

Harry often signed decent players, sometimes has-beens and occasionally shockers but he always fielded leaders and that was his secret to success.
Apparently George Hurst has been recalled by Leicester.
I read somewhere that by the Lge1 rules we only have one over 21 yo space in the squad, so there will have to be departures before any major rebuilding.  

And I don't know how close we are to the 60% of turnover rule on wages, but I'd be surprised if we are not pretty close to it so the departures will need to be high earners.  

I'd aim to get rid of Freeman, Tunnicliffe, Curtis & Jacobs and a couple of loans (Koroma & Piggott) and get 6 or 7 new players in.
(04-01-2023, 09:36 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I read somewhere that by the Lge1 rules we only have one over 21 yo space in the squad, so there will have to be departures before any major rebuilding.  

And I don't know how close we are to the 60% of turnover rule on wages, but I'd be surprised if we are not pretty close to it so the departures will need to be high earners.  

I'd aim to get rid of Freeman, Tunnicliffe, Curtis & Jacobs and a couple of loans (Koroma & Piggott) and get 6 or 7 new players in.

Add Griffiths and Scarlett to the loans. I don’t think we will be able to send Piggot back unless Ipswich can find him another club and agree to it.
(04-01-2023, 09:42 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2023, 09:36 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I read somewhere that by the Lge1 rules we only have one over 21 yo space in the squad, so there will have to be departures before any major rebuilding.  

Add Griffiths and Scarlett to the loans. I don’t think we will be able to send Piggot back unless Ipswich can find him another club and agree to it.

As a Pigott fan I was hoping the new manager might make good use of him.
Boot cleaner?

Goal post?
Give everyone a chance under the new manager.  I'm sure that prospective candidates will look at our squad and wonder how the Cowleys have managed to fock things up.
(04-01-2023, 12:35 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Give everyone a chance under the new manager.  I'm sure that prospective candidates will look at our squad and wonder how the Cowleys have managed to fock things up.

Unless we appoint the new manager quickly there is not enough time for giving everyone a chance. Transfer window doesn't last long
(04-01-2023, 01:09 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2023, 12:35 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Give everyone a chance under the new manager.  I'm sure that prospective candidates will look at our squad and wonder how the Cowleys have managed to fock things up.

Unless we appoint the new manager quickly there is not enough time for giving everyone a chance. Transfer window doesn't last long

In fact, if you made a list of the worst weeks of the year to sack a manager, the first week of the january window would be high on the list.
Deep is right, not a great time to sack a manager. The window closes at 11 p.m on Tuesday 31st Jan
(03-01-2023, 04:02 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]According to Cullen there is a board meeting tonight to discuss player recruitment and Hughes has already identified targets.

That sounds great but whoever the new manager is will want to have some input on recruitment surely?
(04-01-2023, 11:43 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Boot cleaner?

Goal post?

I had goal scorer in mind. I believe that's what he is noted for.
‘Input on recruitment’ unless they’re already in a coaching position on the staff already.
(04-01-2023, 02:52 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2023, 04:02 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]According to Cullen there is a board meeting tonight to discuss player recruitment and Hughes has already identified targets.

That sounds great but whoever the new manager is will want to have some input on recruitment surely?

The key here is they won’t be a manager, they will be head coach, playing the way Hughes wants them to play.
Well, this is what Hughes said a month ago:
“We've been working diligently towards January. We've got a clear picture of where we want to improve. It won't be a massive overhaul of the squad, it will be a little tweak. I'll be very hands-on with recruitment”.

Of course we hear this before every transfer window and it usually takes us until the late stages to actually do anything. In the absence of a manager it’s likely Hughes will go with what he’s already decided.

Hughes has made his role integral to everything at the club. Not many managers like that kind of interference. Did it do for Cowley? Will it make it difficult for the next man? One things for sure, since the very moment he arrived we’ve been turd.
Which is why no one should discount Bassey and Rehman being offered the job at some point.
Pages: 1 2