TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The Ides of March.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a tough month!! But who should beware, us or the opposition. That's Oxford out of the way, but I very much doubt it to be the beginning of a 50 game unbeaten run. Peterborough are looking much more likely on that front, and they are up on the 16th. The 15th is traditionally when debts are settled, and Caesar was assassinated.
Northampton would look the easiest game, but they are professional footballers fighting for survival in this division!!
And then there is that Trophy. You want to win silverware, but it's THAT Trophy.
We will have a far better idea of how we stand at the end of March, and it is going to be very, very tough; and it's the 3rd Division.
I doubt Oxford are out the way and a scrappy 1-0 win doesn't make us promotion contenders yet. There are a lot of teams just around or below us who could make a go of it, even Ipswich in 10th.
(24-02-2021, 11:24 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt Oxford are out the way and a scrappy 1-0 win doesn't make us promotion contenders yet. There are a lot of teams just around or below us who could make a go of it, even Ipswich in 10th.

The fact we're 4th with 17 games to play makes us promotion contenders
Yeh, promotion contenders but its an outside shot of top two. We are far too inconsistent and both defence and attack are having problems at the moment.

Current performances will not see us promoted. There has to be a significant improvement for that to happen.
Everybody's taking turns to trip up, Hull, Lincoln, Donny and ourselves are up and down atm, while Posh and Sunderland are on good runs. Chances are there'll be plenty more twists and turns yet
(24-02-2021, 12:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh, promotion contenders but its an outside shot of top two. We are far too inconsistent and both defence and attack are having problems at the moment.

Current performances will not see us promoted. There has to be a significant improvement for that to happen.

Out of interest our odds for promotion are still evens.  3rd favourite behind Peterborough and Lincoln so plenty to play for with 17 games to go, and I'm far from convinvced Lincoln will last the pace.
(24-02-2021, 12:53 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody's taking turns to trip up, Hull, Lincoln, Donny and ourselves are up and down atm, while Posh and Sunderland are on good runs. Chances are there'll be plenty more twists and turns yet

You're sounding like Paul Cook, Tomsk. Next you're be telling us nobody wins anything in February
What surprised me last night was how lacklustre Oxford were (or did we just make them look lacklustre), I expected a much tougher evening than Pompey in fact had.

Better performance by The Blues but not the stuff that Autos demand, still onwards and upwards.
(24-02-2021, 02:53 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-02-2021, 12:53 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody's taking turns to trip up, Hull, Lincoln, Donny and ourselves are up and down atm, while Posh and Sunderland are on good runs. Chances are there'll be plenty more twists and turns yet

You're sounding like Paul Cook, Tomsk. Next you're be telling us nobody wins anything in February

Yeah true, a bit obvious and typical bland manager-speak, but accurate. Sometimes the glass-half-empty doom merchants on here need to be fed a little bit of obvious
Do you really believe we'll go up Tomsk?. I don't enjoy being pessimistic ,however, the last 3 seasons under Jackett have made me so. I honestly believe we're not going up this season and definitely not automatically. If it is via the play off route then all i can hope is that Kenny has learnt his lesson and plays our strongest team to win and not play to prevent a loss. I would love us to go up and if we do ( and definitely if we don't) I really hope Jackett gets binned, for the good of our club and the standard of football we play.
The trouble is that our experience of play offs is a total let down and dead end. But we don't really look good enough for top 2.
But then again, neither do any of the other sides

Yep the fat lady is not even in the theatre yet
(25-02-2021, 08:37 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a marathon not a sprint, there's a lot of points still to play for, judge us on where we are in May, not (delete as necessary) September/ October, we're still in the mix, we'll be there or thereabouts......

There, I've run out of cliches.
(25-02-2021, 09:21 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2021, 08:37 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a marathon not a sprint, there's a lot of points still to play for, judge us on where we are in May, not (delete as necessary) September/ October, we're still in the mix, we'll be there or thereabouts......

There, I've run out of cliches.

Good
I'm sick as a parrot he's run out of cliches
I'm over the moon he's run out of cliches Tomsk
(24-02-2021, 09:31 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]1. Do you really believe we'll go up Tomsk?.

2. I don't enjoy being pessimistic. 

1. Dunno, but I'm prepared to see how things pan out without having a constant hissy every time we drop points

2. Bollocks, you love it
I think you’ll find I’m consistent in my outlook about Jackett. I never want us to lose but I hate the Welsh twat for the style he’s making us play. I’ve rarely missed a game for decades and love going to FP but Jackett really does his best to ruin the afternoon.