TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Kenny Jackett appointed DOF at Gillingham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
God help them
He might be better at that job
I'd be more afraid of their new owners - weirdo's.
The man who signed downing, Bolton, raggett, Morris, marquis, Harrison.

Hopefully he can balance their squad with summer footballes as well as winter ones.
Leave Raggers alone! He’s a star at this level as long as we don’t ask him to play out from the back too often.
I would think he would be good in that role, ideal for supporting a young up and coming type. He built a very good team here that always got in the play offs and might well have done in his final season. Did it all on a budget and made enough from cup runs to finance a couple of big deals. Like so many managers he actually got better players when he did not spend big.
(05-01-2023, 06:30 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I would think he would be good in that role, ideal for supporting a young up and coming type. He built a very good team here that always got in the play offs and might well have done in his final season. Did it all on a budget and made enough from cup runs to finance a couple of big deals. Like so many managers he actually got better players when he did not spend big.

A smaller budget than who came after him and turned us in to Loan FC.
Both Jackett & Cowley used all available loan slots ... no difference there in the numbers. The differece was Jackett tended to use them to bulk out the squad wihile Cowley used them to try and strengthen the first team.  Both valid approaches IMO.
(05-01-2023, 06:52 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Both Jackett & Cowley used all available loan slots ... no difference there in the numbers. The differece was Jackett tended to use them to bulk out the squad wihile Cowley used them to try and strengthen the first team.  Both valid approaches IMO.

I suspect Kenny had more contacts so was better at getting in the main players on a budget.
It’s a terrible approach, the spine of the team should be owned else you can never progress. You can’t be a team around loan players.
(05-01-2023, 07:15 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a terrible approach, the spine of the team should be owned else you can never progress.  You can’t be a team around loan players.

gotta agree
Although building a team is really difficult now, if you just miss promotion your best players are often poached with double the pay in the champ. Too much difference in finances from level to level these days
(05-01-2023, 06:46 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2023, 06:30 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I would think he would be good in that role, ideal for supporting a young up and coming type. He built a very good team here that always got in the play offs and might well have done in his final season. Did it all on a budget and made enough from cup runs to finance a couple of big deals. Like so many managers he actually got better players when he did not spend big.

A smaller budget than who came after him and turned us in to Loan FC.

That’s probably not true, given the money he spunked on just Marquis and Harrison alone.

Both managers were (in hindsight) guilty(?) of purchasing players with a reasonable track record but who (for whatever reason) failed dismally at Fratton.

Tyler Walker was a very good player, (apparently) for Cowley, before he arrived on loan Portsmouth. It’s easy to understand his eagerness to persuade the board to back him paying out huge wages on ‘guaranteed’ goals. Cowley must have been utterly dismayed to realise that Walker wasn’t the same player. Thank god he didn’t have the chance to buy him!!
The player and style philosophies will now come from Jackett. Have we forgotten the one up top, arms folded, emotionless Jacketball? Score once then sit back and try and defend it out for a 1-0 win? That's not football IMO. Maybe Gills are happy with that but If I lived in the area and my kid was on their youth setup, I'd be gutted and fearful of the damage they would do to them.
I really didn’t enjoy his brand of football. It was undeniably effective (as far as results go) but you couldn’t put it under the bracket of entertainment.

Personally, I’d sacrifice a few lost games, in the pursuit of goals, over tedious 1-0 wins.
The most attractive football I’ve seen at Fratton Park, since the trust took over, has been this season, up until the Ipswich game. The high press was so effective up until then and then it stopped and we’ve been subject to (as Gaffer rightly says) balls across the back and back again. We just can’t seem to get it and keep it much over the half way line.
I don’t particularly want to see hoofball either but sometimes you have to mix it up when one route isn’t working.

But what happened to Cowleys much vaunted press?

I’ll confess that I’m not sure exactly what a DOF actually does. We’re now being told that the coach should have a say in who gets bought. So who ultimately decides? Does the coach have to be a yes man? In the event that results become poor, who gets sacked?
Worth adding that whilst Kenny has been appointed as Director of Football, Andy Hessenthaler has been appointed as Head of Recruitment, so Kenny's wonderful eye for talent might not be utilised that well.

Oh, and cunning...Kyle Walker plays for Man City and England.
Kenny’s team went a goal up and sat back, Cowleys teams just sat back until we went a goal down.
(05-01-2023, 04:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]The man who signed downing, Bolton, raggett, Morris, marquis, Harrison.

Hopefully he can balance their squad with summer footballes as well as winter ones.

In a nutshell that's where Cowley went wrong...different formation, different players but regularly expecting Raggett to play out from the back. Raggett is an out and out defender (certainly at this level) and a significant threat to the opposition at set-pieces.
(06-01-2023, 08:36 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Worth adding that whilst Kenny has been appointed as Director of Football, Andy Hessenthaler has been appointed as Head of Recruitment, so Kenny's wonderful eye for talent might not be utilised that well.

Oh, and cunning...Kyle Walker plays for Man City and England.

What a plonker!

Cheers Simon, I’ll put it right.
When Jackett was appointed I thought he'd get us up, for me the craziest thing that happened in his time here was the Morris/Naylor debacle v Oxford in the playoffs. Why did Jackett go for Bryn Morris rather than the virtual ever present Naylor who bench warmed for both games ? In an article I read Gareth Evans thinks it wasn't the summer/winter idea but it was because Morris had done the yards training at home during the shutdown, his stats were more than any other player. At the time Gareth thought Naylor would be on his way out of the club very quickly. However when pre season training commenced Naylor returned and normality was resumed, it was like nothing had ever happened Gareth said. Then we had the Pitman/Jackett shambles, probably as crazy given Pitman's goal scoring record. As for DC playing Ogilvie at right back when Rafferty was injured plus as has been posted expecting Raggett to play out from the back. Pigott isn't good enough, nor is Griffiths, Scarlett for me over hyped. Plenty to sort out whoever gets the job here