TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Simon Bassey - the easy and cheap option?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering amid all the new manager speculation if the Eisner's wouldn't go for him. From their perspective he's already at the club and knows the players, as well as being an inexpensive option. If he can shine against Spurs, will he become the obvious choice?
(06-01-2023, 05:06 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering amid all the new manager speculation if the Eisner's wouldn't go for him. From their perspective he's already at the club and knows the players, as well as being an inexpensive option. If he can shine against Spurs, will he become the obvious choice?

I'd hope they're raising their sights higher than that.
I’d highly doubt it and the Eisners aren’t involved, the CEO and SD will handle the recruitment process and make their recommendations to the board.

I love how people think the Eisners are sifting through CV’s.
If you thought the cowleys were out of their depth, I'm not sure what the logic is in thinking Bassey wouldn't be too.
(06-01-2023, 05:16 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]I’d highly doubt it and the Eisners aren’t involved, the CEO and SD will handle the recruitment process and make their recommendations to the board.

I love how people think the Eisners are sifting through CV’s.

Bless ‘em. They probably think they take the time to read a message board too.
I'd rather have Shirley Bassey
There is absolutely no way a new DOF and CEO is going to do a hire from within
Leave him in charge till the end of the season.
Then decisions can be made, the current list of prospective managers bar Wilder are very uninspiring.
Give Bassey a chance, the players have just put in probably the best performance of the season for him.
(07-01-2023, 05:27 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]Leave him in charge till the end of the season.
Then decisions can be made, the current list of prospective managers bar Wilder are very uninspiring.
Give Bassey a chance, the players have just put in probably the best performance of the season for him.

No way.

I don't even see Bassey as a candidate, and I suspect neither does he. He will join the Cowleys wherever they end up.

We need to get a manager in who will be here next season so he can build in the summer with full knowledge of what he has got to start with. 

I'm encouraged by the fact that WIlder is still in the running - he must be our first choice.  

Less inspired by the prospect of Lee Bowyer though, I'm not sure appointing a man with his off-field record fits the image of the club the Eisners want, however long ago the horror stories are. It's not as if he has been that successful on the pitch either.
It’s one game against a Prem team away in the cup and bears no relation to games in Div 1.

We set up to get men behind the ball today, understandably. That is totally different to setting up a team to win games in the league.

I’m not saying Bassey couldn’t do the job, but you can’t judge that on one game, especially a game in a fantastic stadium with a big crowd. The players would lift themselves for a game like that whoever was the manager.

Personally I would set my sights higher.
(07-01-2023, 05:41 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]It’s one game against a Prem team away in the cup and bears no relation to games in Div 1.

We set up to get men behind the ball today, understandably. That is totally different to setting up a team to win games in the league.

I’m not saying Bassey couldn’t do the job, but you can’t judge that on one game, especially a game in a fantastic stadium with a big crowd. The players would lift themselves for a game like that whoever was the manager.

When was the last time we set up a team to win a league1 game and got it right ,apart from beating the mighty FGR.
I'm not saying he is a long term manager option, but is now the the right time to give a new manager a 2 or 3 year contract.
(07-01-2023, 06:00 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2023, 05:41 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]It’s one game against a Prem team away in the cup and bears no relation to games in Div 1.

When was the last time we set up a team to win a league1 game and got it right ,apart from beating the mighty FGR.
I'm not saying he is a long term manager option, but is now the the right time to give a new manager a 2 or 3 year contract.

If it's Wilder then yes it's absolutely the right time. He will not be out of work for long.  I'd certainly be surprised if he still unemployed by the summer.
Now is exactly the right time to give a manager a 2 or 3 year contract. I can’t believe anyone is suggesting giving Bassey the job to the end of the season we need a manager to come in and show leadership plus Cullen has already stated we will not be appointing someone to the end of the season
(07-01-2023, 05:27 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]Leave him in charge till the end of the season.

You’ve had too many beers.
(07-01-2023, 06:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2023, 06:00 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

If it's Wilder then yes it's absolutely the right time. He will not be out of work for long.  I'd certainly be surprised if he still unemployed by the summer.

It’s not going to be Wilder.
Probably not, but if it was then now is the time to get him.
(06-01-2023, 05:06 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering amid all the new manager speculation if the Eisner's wouldn't go for him. From their perspective he's already at the club and knows the players, as well as being an inexpensive option. If he can shine against Spurs, will he become the obvious choice?

No
(07-01-2023, 06:40 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

You’ve had too many beers.
nah
Just seen Bassey’s post match interview, what a breath of fresh air.

Plain English spoken with confidence, not a stat or a buzz word in evidence.

I like him and I get the impression the players do too.

I wouldn’t be too distraught if they gave him the gig until the end of the season.

I would prefer Wilder if we could get him mind.
It’s not going to happen, we set up not to get beat heavily today completely different to setting a team up to win a league game no disrespect to Bassey but he doesn’t have the experience we need now
(07-01-2023, 10:59 PM)JamesPLewis Wrote: [ -> ]It’s not going to happen, we set up not to get beat heavily today completely different to setting a team up to win a league game no disrespect to Bassey but he doesn’t have the experience we need now

That is almost word for word what I posted earlier.

I don’t think it will happen either but wouldn’t be too worried if it did.

As for setting up to win league games we shall see that soon enough won’t we?
We get bassey I and the owners would get absolutely slammed!!

They get slagged off all the time but Imagine the hate taking the cheap option!!
(08-01-2023, 09:26 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]We get bassey I and the owners would get absolutely slammed!!

They get slagged off all the time but Imagine the hate taking the cheap option!!

If you own a football club it goes with the territory that someone will slag you off.

You just have to make the decisions you believe in and take whatever flak comes your way.

If success is achieved the slagging off magically disappears of course.
You can't make a judgement on one game but he (Bassey) did acheive one thing yesterday and that was vindification to sack Cowley. Can you give him the job on the strength of one game?
No, of course, you can't.
The appointment of a new manager more than a week into the transfer window is now of paramount importance but I expect in reality we've probably had a number of knock backs. This is likely to be in terms of salary, playing budget and the fact that, in all probability, we've 'missed the bus' (again). We will see.
Bassey is pretty active on Twitter and would enjoy our politics section by the looks of it! https://twitter.com/simonbass10
Pages: 1 2