TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Next season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking at our squad it looks even worse for next season. In my opinion we only have 8 players good enough for league one and 4 of them are centre midfielders.

Cowleys have built a terrible squad and we are seeing it now.

Then we also have high wages on shit like Freeman, tunni, Curtis, jacobs (wouldn’t be here if he could stay fit)

And don’t get me started on our loans Id hate to think how much we are spending on wages and agent/loan fees!!

People may say that’s on the owners but cowleys have signed most of these players and lots of ex championship players we most have a half decent wage budget it’s just massively wasted!

Who ever we get in as manager they have got a massive job to rebuild a squad and make it balanced!!!
You're talking about the guy who signed 3 right backs and then said he was prioritising a right back in this window.
And used a left back when he had 2 fit right backs in the squad...
And played the same left back at left back when he had 0 fit right backs, and moaned he had nobody to play at right back.
And all that after letting a perfectly good right back leave.
(11-01-2023, 09:15 AM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]And all that after letting a perfectly good right back leave.

Forgot all about Callum Johnson!!
(11-01-2023, 06:39 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at our squad it looks even worse for next season. In my opinion we only have 8 players good enough for league one and 4 of them are centre midfielders.

Cowleys have built a terrible squad and we are seeing it now.

Then we also have high wages on shit like Freeman, tunni, Curtis, jacobs (wouldn’t be here if he could stay fit)

And don’t get me started on our loans Id hate to think how much we are spending on wages and agent/loan fees!!

People may say that’s on the owners but cowleys have signed most of these players and lots of ex championship players we most have a half decent wage budget it’s just massively wasted!

Who ever we get in as manager they have got a massive job to rebuild a squad and make it balanced!!!

Id just like to point out that until mid October nobody had a problem with our team. You can fluke the odd win but we were great for 3 months. The problem is that we only had 11 decent players so when one got injured the decline started to set it. That's the board's failure to invest (unlike Ipswich who when Harness got injured, responded an bought a replacement) in a full squad that can do enough over 46 games.

Personally, with just lowery and rafferty to come back, I'd sit the the team down and show them the video of us thumping Cambridge or Bristol Rovers and tell them to do the same thing again.  Simple innit? I do think we had too many loans but then again we'd never have got Hirst or Carter would we?

I know you haven't mentioned it but it's also hilarious that everybody was slagging off Cowley for not picking Piggott before Christmas and now everybody hates Piggott's guts and thinks he's shit.
I would still like to see Pigott given a run in the side, preferably with Bishop. He is the one player who hasn't had one. Players like Scarlett, Koroma, Dale and Curtis have all had good runs without effect. I will say it again, give Pigott a decent chance before writing him off.
We all know when the team is fit and available we can give most teams a game in this league.
But having just a first 11 isn't going to get you anywhere.
Ipswich seem intent on buying the league. And before anyone says but they have sold a few, they are about to spend a seven figure sum on Hirst!
Sheffield wed, Derby and Barnsley all came down with some championship players.
How Bolton are there is beyond me but Plymouth have done everything well in the last two seasons.
Pompey have been treading water and in the last two years, literally going backwards!
We are in a relegation battle this season and anyone else who says different has not got their eyes open.
No manager and very little time in the market to help when he arrives.
Unfortunately because Cowley failed miserably in his task to a build a team, next year will be a struggle whilst we do actually build a team. Loans should supplement a squad, not be a race to fit them all in the starting 11.
I suppose the point is about Pigott (about whom I'm undecided), is,, if Cowley was not happy to pick him, why did he sign him? Thinking back to the summer, I remember a lot of concern about having no strikers on our books, and most posters being quite happy with those we ended up with.
(11-01-2023, 01:24 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose the point is about Pigott (about whom I'm undecided), is,, if Cowley was not happy to pick him, why did he sign him? Thinking back to the summer, I remember a lot of concern about having no strikers on our books, and most posters being quite happy with those we ended up with.

Scarlett may not be as bad as he looks but we have to play to his strengths, passing back to griffiths wont see Scarlett get any goals. He really does need some time out of the team though.

I still believe The Pig and Bishop can work but Piggot needs game time.

To score goals we need to be moving the ball forward quickly.
Heard the one about the bishop and the pig...
Yak I believe Hirst is on loan but they have paid a 7 figure fee to Everton for Nathan Broadhead.