TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Next Manager/Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(11-01-2023, 05:25 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 03:49 PM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]The time it has taken so far to appoint a new manager, smacks to me that they don't have a clue and cannot make their minds up on who to appoint and more importantly for us fans 10 days of the widow gone!

Yeah they should have just appointed the first person who phoned up, definitely not taking time to get it right.

Possibly, but you dont sack the current manager if you have not got someone in mind. DC was on borrowed time for months. They should have at least had a number of candidates who were interested?

Yeah nothing wrong with touting round for a new manager whilst the current one is still in post. Maybe the could have popped something on LinkedIn.  Christ there are still people crying over the clowns sacking, imagine if it had come out that we’d been looking for months!

We don’t know that they hadn’t been looking so we? We don’t know anything!

The club can do no right.
Liam Manning set to be appointed Pompey’s new head coach today according to Alex Crook on Twatter.

FFS…rinse and repeat. One good season at MK Dons and 60% less games managed than Cowley. Why the fuck bother?
I quite concur if that shows ambition, I would like to be explained to how this is, I said a long time ago it would be manning
welcome to another mediocre season Pompey fans
12 months ago appointing Manning woud have looked a decent appointment ... but his failure this season raises huge question marks. 

Still presumably he showed something in the interview process that means he might be able to prove everyone wrong who just want to slag off anyone appointed that wasn't a big name.

My fear is that the fans will not give him a chance.
He'll be given a chance, but it will still be a disappointing appointment.
Actually, reading Cullen's quotes this morning they do not sound like they are about to appoint, sounds more like excuses for delaying a bit longer. 

Which makes me wonder if we are reading too much into BV closing the book,  maybe they were just spooked by a large bet on someone. Bookies will close a book if they think someone knows the outcome, but it could actually be anyone. 

Cue Manning announcement at lunchtime !
If it is Manning then the board have learned nothing from the last 2 appointments. We will have become a low budget nursery club, a place for inexperienced managers to cut there teeth, whilst developing inexperienced players for other clubs.

What a great season this has turned out to be. Not only do we sack our manager just as the window is opening, but now it appears that having lost our first choice goalkeeper and another supposed goal scorer, we are about to appoint an inexperienced manager that has absolutely no chance of signing the replacement required, given his lack of connections and the timescale.

What an absolute joke.
And apologies for transferring an earlier thread but..

Billy Manning - The funfair option

Will it be a rollercoaster.... or a gentle ride on the merry-go-round?
It's a good job some of you premierised, depressive, negative doom & gloom mongers weren't around  in the 1970's when John Mortimore followed by Ian St John were in charge.................

If you think this is bad now, you should have been around then ffs.
Wow, those were the days! It felt like the club had absolutely no future. Hardly anyone could remember a successful season unless you could go back to the 50s. I suppose the difference now is we have fairly rich owners and some expectation of being upwardly mobile. I don’t think I had any such hopes back in the 70s.. and then came Frankie Burrows.. what a joy that was, goals galore, and yet even then we scrambled up 4th on the last day!
(12-01-2023, 12:33 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]It's a good job some of you premierised, depressive, negative doom & gloom mongers weren't around  in the 1970's when John Mortimore followed by Ian St John were in charge.................

St John was an arrogant twat who would have someone on trial for a week after they'd been spotted playing for their university team. He wouldn't see the lad play football, or cross a ball , tackle or shoot. He would have no way of seeing the lad's vision. And he would reject the lad because his touch wasn't great doing 1940s style training exercises using balls more similar to medicine balls than footballs. Dark days indeed.
(12-01-2023, 12:43 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, those were the days! It felt like the club had absolutely no future. Hardly anyone could remember a successful season unless you could go back to the 50s. I suppose the difference now is we have fairly rich owners and some expectation of being upwardly mobile. I don’t think I had any such hopes back in the 70s.. and then came Frankie Burrows.. what a joy that was, goals galore, and yet even then we scrambled up 4th on the last day!

Yes exactly, from c1972-c1979 it was all downhill, relegation, SOS Pompey, sub 10,00 crowds ...................and all this was under what could then be considered rich owners in those days "The Deacons" .  

So to us "more mature supporters" it ain't nothing new mooshes !!

I blame it on the I want now, I must have, I can't wait culture that we live in these days !!
(12-01-2023, 12:53 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2023, 12:33 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]It's a good job some of you premierised, depressive, negative doom & gloom mongers weren't around  in the 1970's when John Mortimore followed by Ian St John were in charge.................

St John was an arrogant twat who would have someone on trial for a week after they'd been spotted playing for their university team. He wouldn't see the lad play football, or cross a ball , tackle or shoot. He would have no way of seeing the lad's vision. And he would reject the lad because his touch wasn't great doing 1940s style training exercises using balls more similar to medicine balls than footballs. Dark days indeed.

Were you one of his rejects then Kingo Big Grin
A friend of mine, Billy Eames, was one of St.John's cast off. A nippy, stylish midfielder who would have flourished under a more nuanced manager. He doesn't have much good to say about St.John for sure....
(12-01-2023, 01:29 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2023, 12:43 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, those were the days! It felt like the club had absolutely no future. Hardly anyone could remember a successful season unless you could go back to the 50s. I suppose the difference now is we have fairly rich owners and some expectation of being upwardly mobile. I don’t think I had any such hopes back in the 70s.. and then came Frankie Burrows.. what a joy that was, goals galore, and yet even then we scrambled up 4th on the last day!

Yes exactly, from c1972-c1979 it was all downhill, relegation, SOS Pompey, sub 10,00 crowds ...................and all this was under what could then be considered rich owners in those days "The Deacons" .  

So to us "more mature supporters" it ain't nothing new mooshes !!

I blame it on the I want now, I must have, I can't wait culture that we live in these days !!

Not so much the “I want now, I must have …” just that Portsmouth FC is a business and for the last few years the product that we use to know and love as football has been sadly lacking. 

How many years under the Eisners do we have to wait for an experienced manager with the necessary investment ON THE PITCH.
Rings a bell. Small blond lad

I was there in the youth team under the St. John regime. All we did was run. Run and more running. Training three times a week was running. I never saw a ball. It was awful.
(12-01-2023, 02:05 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]

I was there in the youth team under the St. John regime. All we did was run. Run and more running. Training three times a week was running. I never saw a ball. It was awful.
With those balls, you didn't miss much.
(12-01-2023, 01:52 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of mine, Billy Eames, was one of St.John's cast off. A nippy, stylish midfielder who would have flourished under a more nuanced manager. He doesn't have much good to say about St.John for sure....

Billy Eames lived in Emsworth as a nipper, my great aunt lived just up the road. When we came down to visit relatives  from London (where we lived at the time) played football in the road against him a few times. 

Within a few years he was playing in St John's team.

Roughly 20 yrs ago came across him at Cams Hill School Fareham when my son got in to trouble at school  :D . 

Your right he didn't have a good word to say about St John. 

He ended up Head of Sports Dept at Cams, last I heard he had retired.
(12-01-2023, 01:31 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

Yup.
(12-01-2023, 05:10 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2023, 01:31 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

Yup.

so despite all the other flaws he was a good judge of a player?

I was, and even though it hurt like hell, there was always hope that the tide would eventually turn. I do not get that feeling this time around. The Eisners current legacy is that they are squeezing hope out of the playing side of things.
(12-01-2023, 02:05 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]

You're not Clive Greene by any chance, are you?
I think Clive Greene was in St John's first team, not the youth set up. And to Hammie, no, after seeing the players at close quarters for a week, he definitely was not a good judge.
Edit. Wrong thread
Pages: 1 2 3