TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Is it just me or.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it just me or is our Club a total shambles and becoming a bit of a laughing stock in the EFL.
We justifiably sack our manager ten days ago and still haven't managed to come up with a replacement despite the fact that we're one of biggest clubs in this league, our current form and the fact we're nearly half way through a transfer window.
I'm assuming that this wasn't just a knee jerk reaction by our CEO and the absentee owners even though he (Cowley) should have gone perhaps five or six weeks ago.
If that's right, in the current circumstances, a properly run club would have had a replacement lined up before he was shown the door...no, not us!!
The media, the pundits, even the bookmakers know this club too well.  Before the Cowleys were even at the top of Frogmore Road the bookies had produced their list of runners for the next manager and what a totally uninspiring list it was because they know how we work in our well documented 'sustainable' fashion. That is why we've got a list of managers that have been sacked in the last eighteen months and others with no real experience at all. Anyone who looked even a remote possibility quickly flagged up, not suprisingly, that they weren't interested.
Why? Well my guess is that they know the owners won't pay out if the guy is currently contracted, the won't pay the right sort of money for anyone that might make a significant difference, the options are not improved by an inadquate playing budget not comparable with clubs that should be regarded as our compeitors, currently largely occupying the top five or six places, and this season, yet again, we've aleady probably missed the boat!
Of course, I'm prepared to admit that I may be completely wrong and nobody will agree with me.
Whilst you (and me and many others) may turn out to be wrong I think plenty will agree with you, and rightly so.
(11-01-2023, 06:27 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or is our Club a total shambles and becoming a bit of a laughing stock in the EFL.
We justifiably sack our manager ten days ago and still haven't managed to come up with a replacement despite the fact that we're one of biggest clubs in this league, our current form and the fact we're nearly half way through a transfer window.
I'm assuming that this wasn't just a knee jerk reaction by our CEO and the absentee owners even though he (Cowley) should have gone perhaps five or six weeks ago.
If that's right, in the current circumstances, a properly run club would have had a replacement lined up before he was shown the door...no, not us!!
The media, the pundits, even the bookmakers know this club too well.  Before the Cowleys were even at the top of Frogmore Road the bookies had produced their list of runners for the next manager and what a totally uninspiring list it was because they know how we work in our well documented 'sustainable' fashion. That is why we've got a list of managers that have been sacked in the last eighteen months and others with no real experience at all. Anyone who looked even a remote possibility quickly flagged up, not suprisingly, that they weren't interested.
Why? Well my guess is that they know the owners won't pay out if the guy is currently contracted, the won't pay the right sort of money for anyone that might make a significant difference, the options are not improved by an inadquate playing budget not comparable with clubs that should be regarded as our compeitors, currently largely occupying the top five or six places, and this season, yet again, we've aleady probably missed the boat!
Of course, I'm prepared to admit that I may be completely wrong and nobody will agree with me.

Who that isn’t on the list do you want to be the next head coach?
You're likely right. However I'm going to wait until the appointment has been made before passing judgement based on bookmaker predictions.
It's bad but it isn't Nathan Jones bad.

Even when we are useless, you can always rely on the church mice to embarrass themselves further.
Its not looking great, no. Ask again in a week.
Yes it's all a bit of a shambles. A win would do us the world of good, the trouble is a win with these players doesn't appear likely
(11-01-2023, 06:27 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or is our Club a total shambles and becoming a bit of a laughing stock in the EFL.

If you sack a manager in January you should not be surprised when clubs who have loaned you players because of that manager recall them.   

It's going to be a chaotic 3 weeks till the window closes but there is absolutely no reason why we cannot finish the month with a better manager and a better squad and still in reach of the playoffs with a decent run.
(11-01-2023, 06:34 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Finally you may a legitimate point. It's hard to imagine how anyone operating in the EFL wouldn't want to manage a very famous club whose fans are admired all over the world. But then you examine the attractiveness as a career move and the constraints imposed in terms of salary, level of control and playing budget then, I have to admit, it's difficult to identify anyone of any true quality
(11-01-2023, 06:54 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]

Finally you may a legitimate point. It's hard to imagine how anyone operating in the EFL wouldn't want to manage a very famous club whose fans are admired all over the world. But then you examine the attractiveness as a career move and the constraints imposed in terms of salary, level of control and playing budget then, I have to admit, it's difficult to identify anyone of any true quality

When will you make a legitimate point?

So who is the manager not on the list that you want?
Whoever they bring in, it can't be much worse than seeing the players struggling to be a team again at Bolton. They desperately need a new start under a new voice.
We also need a decent forward coach and defence coach. That was Harry's strength when he brought in Joe Jordan and Tony Adams. We could do with Whitts as forward coach and Mr Nasty as defence coach.
(11-01-2023, 06:58 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

The thing is, none of us know who is on the list, or if a list even exists any more.  The bookies cannot be a true yardstick for the likely successful candidate.

The OP is a valid one though.  It's amazing, given the run we have been on and the fact the sacking had become inevitable, that faster progress has not been made.
There is a sticking point here somewhere.  Are we an incredibly unattractive option for a budding manager? I'd hope not, though I am quite concerned about Hughes influence and standing here. Are we in serious but lengthy negotiations with someone? Shouldn't really take that long should it, especially with the need to get a squad rebuilt in the next 2-3 weeks. So what is the effing issue here? 

This could turn into a huge own goal, not just in relation to the forthcoming games but the recruitment issues too.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome very soon.
(11-01-2023, 10:52 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 06:58 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

The thing is, none of us know who is on the list, or if a list even exists any more.  The bookies cannot be a true yardstick for the likely successful candidate.

The OP is a valid one though.  It's amazing, given the run we have been on and the fact the sacking had become inevitable, that faster progress has not been made.
There is a sticking point here somewhere.  Are we an incredibly unattractive option for a budding manager? I'd hope not, though I am quite concerned about Hughes influence and standing here. Are we in serious but lengthy negotiations with someone? Shouldn't really take that long should it, especially with the need to get a squad rebuilt in the next 2-3 weeks. So what is the effing issue here? 

This could turn into a huge own goal, not just in relation to the forthcoming games but the recruitment issues too.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome very soon.
Get Paolo Di Cannio in, absolutely mental and would beat them into shape. Would also be more entertaining on the touchline than most!
Would rather have Colin Wanker than a Cowley clone
The club need a reset Hughes wasn’t here for the shower of shit that was the summer transfer window. Looks like he’s started 2 loans out 1 in.

Hopefully we can send piggott and scarlet back dale will work in a front 3 not at wingback
I can't see why taking ten days to consider an important managerial appointment makes the club a total shambles. You could argue that the sacking of Cowley had been in the works for ages and PFC should have had someone lined up. You could also say that the club were giving Cowley every chance to come good, which reflects well on them.
If they rush in someone without proper consideration and it doesn't work out then you'll be moaning that a few months down the line they should have taken their time.

If they approach a manager currently in employment before they sack the current manager then they'll risk that news getting out (as they have to ask permission from the target club) and destabilising the team.

If they approach someone currently not in work you'll moan they are appointing a failure.

About the only good time to get rid of a manager is after the last game of season when there's time to appoint someone new. Mid-season is always difficult, whoever you are. I'm glad they are taking time in getting this right.

All this panic when it's only been 10 days since Cowley was sacked.
Off the pitch good.
First team needs a new leader.