TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Who in their right mind…
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
would want the job of Head Coach at Fratton Park? Their only target will be to avoid relegation and that is looking more and more a possibility with each passing game. The pressure on them is going to be intense from day one. Who of the current candidates looks most likely able to withstand the pressure and more importantly will they still be a candidate by the end of today? Over the years we’ve suffered some poor teams but this current squad defies description. Major squad  rebuild needed and already half way through current transfer window. How have Pompey arrived at this utterly ridiculous situation?
Totally agree. From Clarke, Burgess, Lowe at al to this rabble in 4 easy years.
Someone with a bit of know how and charisma is what’s needed. And a willingness to tell Hughes to keep out of his way.
Their wage demands have gone up dramatically!! I would of quite liked manning but it would be so hard for a inexperienced manager to take this on. Going to have to go all out and spend the money on wilder give him what he wants and the players he needs to build on next season.
(14-01-2023, 04:47 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Totally agree. From Clarke, Burgess, Lowe at al to this rabble in 4 easy years.

And who was the manager for the majority of those 4 years.
Pompey managers in recent years seem intimidated by the expectation.
(14-01-2023, 04:47 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Totally agree. From Clarke, Burgess, Lowe at al to this rabble in 4 easy years.

Ben Thompson too
(14-01-2023, 04:46 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]would want the job of Head Coach at Fratton Park? Their only target will be to avoid relegation and that is looking more and more a possibility with each passing game. The pressure on them is going to be intense from day one. Who of the current candidates looks most likely able to withstand the pressure and more importantly will they still be a candidate by the end of today? Over the years we’ve suffered some poor teams but this current squad defies description. Major squad  rebuild needed and already half way through current transfer window. How have Pompey arrived at this utterly ridiculous situation?

I agree, the person coming in is under a massive amount of pressure based on team performance and recent results. It’s a shambles and i don’t see a head coach type being the person we need right now.

Get a manager in who has full control until the end of the season whilst looking for a head coach who hopefully has a better place to start.
The more it goes on, the more I think getting Colin Wanker in for the rest of the season is not such a bad idea. He might just ruffle a few feathers and drag the club out of it's current comatose state.
If we are down to the bare bones, its an ideal time for Harry to arrive
(14-01-2023, 07:01 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]The more it goes on, the more I think getting Colin Wanker in for the rest of the season is not such a bad idea. He might just ruffle a few feathers and drag the club out of it's current comatose state.

Would make a lot of sense to me if the Eisners would pay for him, something needs to be done
Perhaps a double act? Would at least be a laugh.
(14-01-2023, 04:46 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]would want the job of Head Coach at Fratton Park? Their only target will be to avoid relegation and that is looking more and more a possibility with each passing game. The pressure on them is going to be intense from day one. Who of the current candidates looks most likely able to withstand the pressure and more importantly will they still be a candidate by the end of today? Over the years we’ve suffered some poor teams but this current squad defies description. Major squad  rebuild needed and already half way through current transfer window. How have Pompey arrived at this utterly ridiculous situation
“ major re build” AKA just about a new team. Look at the reason for that, not enough contracted players and not enough contracted players with quality. Shopping in the bargain basement, sifting through the league one and lower cast offs and supplementing them with loanees was never going to work and rarely would. If that is all that the Eisners can provide then its best that they fuck off.
(14-01-2023, 07:01 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]The more it goes on, the more I think getting Colin Wanker in for the rest of the season is not such a bad idea. He might just ruffle a few feathers and drag the club out of it's current comatose state.

Yep Colin Wanker is the only manager I can think of who has the bollocks for what is lurching towards a relegation battle.
Hard to believe that it is only 7 days since a battling perfomance at Tottenham had everyone saying we were in a good place for a new manager to take over.
What manager of any consequence would want the job as it stands. A director of football picking players for you, a restricted budget that’s already been spent and a squad that are failing. Hardly enticing for any established manager, leaving us left with the desperate and or the cheap.

Poundland Pompey!
(14-01-2023, 07:15 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe that it is only 7 days since a battling perfomance at Tottenham had everyone saying we were in a good place for a new manager to take over.

There's that way of looking at it but also possibly, giving everything when you're in the shop window. Hope it was the former.
(14-01-2023, 07:21 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]What manager of any consequence would want the job as it stands. A director of football picking players for you, a restricted budget that’s already been spent and a squad that are failing. Hardly enticing for any established manager, leaving us left with the desperate and or the cheap.

Poundland Pompey!

We aren’t looking for an established manager though, you’d think after 2 weeks you might have heard this.  It’s had to be stated on here about 15 times a day.

It’s a head coach position so we are looking for a coach to step up in to a head coach role, like Ipswich.
Perhaps they've got a good dof
(14-01-2023, 07:21 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]What manager of any consequence would want the job as it stands. A director of football picking players for you, a restricted budget that’s already been spent and a squad that are failing. Hardly enticing for any established manager, leaving us left with the desperate and or the cheap.

Poundland 
The answer is a  desperate one as you say. Can you see someone like Wilder bowing to the superior knowledge of a 34 year old DOF who apparently discovered a couple of nippers while at Forest Green  and also scouted for Tamworth? Me neither.
(14-01-2023, 06:26 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-01-2023, 04:46 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]would want the job of Head Coach at Fratton Park? Their only target will be to avoid relegation and that is looking more and more a possibility with each passing game. The pressure on them is going to be intense from day one. Who of the current candidates looks most likely able to withstand the pressure and more importantly will they still be a candidate by the end of today? Over the years we’ve suffered some poor teams but this current squad defies description. Major squad  rebuild needed and already half way through current transfer window. How have Pompey arrived at this utterly ridiculous situation?

I agree, the person coming in is under a massive amount of pressure based on team performance and recent results. It’s a shambles and i don’t see a head coach type being the person we need right now.

Get a manager in who has full control until the end of the season whilst looking for a head coach who hopefully has a better place to start.

Harry?
Wilder....no brainer
Forget the inexperienced and unproven
(14-01-2023, 11:41 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]

Poundland 
The answer is a  desperate one as you say. Can you see someone like Wilder bowing to the superior knowledge of a 34 year old DOF who apparently discovered a couple of nippers while at Forest Green  and also scouted for Tamworth? Me neither.

No, but....

.....isn't that the whole point of a job interview? Wilder will know about the DoF situation here and if he gets interviewed it shows that he is willing to negotiate around that part - if the club are. There is still the hope that Wilder can thrash out a deal with the club about the extent of Hughes' influence and one that Hughes himself is on board with. For example, while Hughes could recommend signings, Wilder could insist on the final decision on all transfers. 

But concern with this DoF relationship is a red herring when we witness the kind of shambolic performance we saw yesterday. Most of these players had us top of the league in September. You cannot say someone like Marlon Pack wouldn't give his right arm to bring success to his hometown club. It is 80% about coaching and man management, not signings. It is about getting inside the heads of these players and finding what makes them tick individually and collectively. Who can explain why defenders, coached in fitness and tactics every week, end up as bemused spectators when danger threatens like rabbits gazing into the headlights on an on-coming car.

What will get us out of this downward spiral is a great motivator and communicator. Great coaches don't always make great managers. Yes, you can be pedantic and say that we are touting for a Head Coach, not a 'manager' but in addition to being tactically astute, that person will undoubtedly need to manage people.

As I write, I feel I am describing Harry Redknapp. If we can find a way for Chris Wilder to work with Hughes, he could our next Harry.

Poundland 

What sort of job is “director of football” at our level? If it’s merely talent spotting then just about every fan in the stands could do it!
(15-01-2023, 10:40 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]

Poundland 

What sort of job is “director of football” at our level? If it’s merely talent spotting then just about every fan in the stands could do it!
It's just job creation,gives the chief executive less to do
Pages: 1 2