TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Would it be so wrong to
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Go down to league 2 again?
On the balance of it, I'm mad right?
But I'm looking at Plymouth. They went down.
They came straight back up, were unlucky last season and still pounding it out this season and are top for a reason.
Their football is attractive and they have been shrewd with player recruitment.
When they went down, they were just finishing the last part of Home park, the mayflower stand. We are doing the same. When this round of ground improvements are done the Eisner's can concentrate on the playing side.
I'm fed up with watching the odds and sods we seem to have assembled. We need our own ideas of play from top to bottom with all teams playing the same way so that youngsters can ably come into the side.
Get those that want to grow and fight with us as a team.
I'm just so turned off with our attitude, play and athleticism. 
To get that, I'd go down again. 
It seems preposterous to say so but who can deny Plymouth are in anyway behind us?
It would be a disaster.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be but I cannot ignore what has happened to a side like Plymouth.
We are very similar sides in more ways than one.
In a perfect world we wouldn't have to but for those looking north in the table, I'd suggest we are somewhat further south so to speak.
Putting our heads in the sand that it could not happen is ridiculous.
Presently, that's the direction we have been heading and without any sort of brake
You've lost the plot Yak lol
Now that's a valid point Pedro!
And certainly one I'm not going to argue
After watching MK Don's and the Bolton game I'm finding it hard to see any positives
I'd like to see Wilder here but I think that's fantasy now.
I don't like this DoF. You need a team for that to work and it's got to be hard to find the right people. Maybe it's me who is the dinosaur but managers in the prem still control who the club buys or goes after. This just seems the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and that's what it looks like on the pitch too
I may also be mad, but I feel like we might be about to bottom out.
IF our midfield and right back are close to fitness we could see a step upon Saturday, especially with a new voice in their ear.
Pack and Thompson for starters.
Lowery and Morrell maybe.
Raffery would be nice but Swansom is due a good game.
Our only goalscorer is fit and overdue a goal, Dale is overdue an assist or a goal.
Especailly at home, once we get one win we are quite capable of going on a run.

The big worry is if we can keep a clean sheet or hold on to a lead. Yet properly organised we probably have defenders good enough to do it.

Always look on the bright side and all that!
And you're as nuts as I am! ???
you're crackers my lord
(15-01-2023, 07:23 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]After watching MK Don's and the Bolton game I'm finding it hard to see any positives
I don't like this DoF. You need a team for that to work and it's got to be hard to find the right people. Maybe it's me who is the dinosaur but managers in the prem still control who the club buys or goes after. This just seems the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and that's what it looks like on the pitch too

Prem managers have a whole team of people who go out and find players for him, it’s not like it used to be.

Plenty of teams drop in to L2 and don’t come out, some fall out of the league.
(15-01-2023, 07:23 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]After watching MK Don's and the Bolton game I'm finding it hard to see any positives

It depends on how the DoF is set up. I think it makes sense if it allows the manager/coach to manage the players. If the two can see eye-to-eye, it's a clear benefit to the manager to not have to shoulder all footballing matters at a club and be able to concentrate on team performance and tactics.

BTW, on your other post, I get your point but do you remember how hard it was for us to escape League Two? It's a very risky strategy.
(16-01-2023, 08:02 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Prem managers have a whole team of people who go out and find players for him, it’s not like it used to be.

Plenty of teams drop in to L2 and don’t come out, some fall out of the league.

Like Scunthorpe.
The DOF is there to maintain continuity. So, when it's all gone to shit, he keeps it that way.
Rich Hughes is a non-league/league 2 player market analyst. I'm sure he would be delighted get paid Portsmouth money whilst continuing his Forest Green remit.
(15-01-2023, 07:08 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Go down to league 2 again?
On the balance of it, I'm mad right?
But I'm looking at Plymouth. They went down.
They came straight back up, were unlucky last season and still pounding it out this season and are top for a reason.
Their football is attractive and they have been shrewd with player recruitment.
When they went down, they were just finishing the last part of Home park, the mayflower stand. We are doing the same. When this round of ground improvements are done the Eisner's can concentrate on the playing side.
I'm fed up with watching the odds and sods we seem to have assembled. We need our own ideas of play from top to bottom with all teams playing the same way so that youngsters can ably come into the side.
Get those that want to grow and fight with us as a team.
I'm just so turned off with our attitude, play and athleticism. 
To get that, I'd go down again. 
It seems preposterous to say so but who can deny Plymouth are in anyway behind us?

Don't give the eisners idea!,they are already scared to go up because we might get relegated!
(16-01-2023, 09:03 AM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]The DOF  is there to maintain continuity. So,  when it's all gone to shit, he keeps it that way.

Shouldn’t he get the sack if it all goes to shit?
No. He can call the shots, take the credit if it goes well and use the coach as a scapegoat if it doesn't. I'd like to be a DOF.
(17-01-2023, 03:46 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]No. He can call the shots, take the credit if it goes well and use the coach as a scapegoat if it doesn't. I'd like to be a DOF.

He is not a Director of Football.  His title is Sporting Director and if you listen to his interview on the OS soon after he started he appears to have very little say in first team affairs other than helping with recruitment. The job seems to encompass more of a data analytical role and working with the academy & women's team. All a bit vague but nothing there to suggest he is higher in the hierarchy than the head coach - both report directly to Cullen - so I suspect people are making assumptions based on what they think the DOF role is at other clubs, but he is not a DOF. 

But I can't say he comes across in the interview as particularly dynamic.
(17-01-2023, 04:29 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-01-2023, 03:46 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]No. He can call the shots, take the credit if it goes well and use the coach as a scapegoat if it doesn't. I'd like to be a DOF.

He is not a Director of Football.  His title is Sporting Director and if you listen to his interview on the OS soon after he started he appears to have very little say in first team affairs other than helping with recruitment. The job seems to encompass more of a data analytical role and working with the academy & women's team. All a bit vague but nothing there to suggest he is higher in the hierarchy than the head coach - both report directly to Cullen - so I suspect people are making assumptions based on what they think the DOF role is at other clubs, but he is not a DOF. 

If he is involved in the hiring and firing of the head coach that would suggest he is above them.
(17-01-2023, 04:52 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

If he is involved in the hiring and firing of the head coach that would suggest he is above them.

Who says he is ?  Not aware of any evidence that he was in any way involved in the sacking - that was a board decision and he is not on the board. 

I'd expect him to be consulted for any views on the hiring of a new coach, but again he is not part of the decision process to appoint because that is a board decision.
So would he have done the Towler deal, or would that have been someone else?
(17-01-2023, 06:18 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]So would he have done the Towler deal, or would that have been someone else?

Yes, he will have done the Towler deal. In fact I think he was quoted saying it was too good a deal to miss out on by waiting until the new coach was in place.
So, of the board, which of the Eisners will be playing an active role in this?
(17-01-2023, 05:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-01-2023, 04:52 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Who says he is ?  Not aware of any evidence that he was in any way involved in the sacking - that was a board decision and he is not on the board. 

I'd expect him to be consulted for any views on the hiring of a new coach, but again he is not part of the decision process to appoint because that is a board decision.

Pretty sure it was in the news with quotes from Cullen.
Hughes and Cullen are doing the interviews according to The News
Pages: 1 2