TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: What a Total Shambles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So 2 weeks on from sacking the Cowleys we still don’t have a new Manager/Coach. It Might have been wise to have put a few feelers out before the event, especially as we needed to strengthen and the transfer window was already open. Surely if giving the Cowleys the push was a possibility, which it had been for some time, then looking at potential candidates should have been visited long before January 1st, but I guess we are where we are. 

If the huge list of probable candidates is to be believed, it appears that for whatever reason, none of them have been able to agree terms. You cannot blame them if this is budget related. It’s pretty obvious that a main condition of any potential replacement would require a reasonable budget/time (14 days to go) to carry out the task of trying to push for the playoffs.
Good luck with that now.

It’s incredibly poor management at all levels leaving our club in this situation, and getting weaker by the day. Personally I don’t think the Eisners wanted promotion, but what we might end up with now is a relegation battle. I think their brick by brick approach is more like footballing jenga and we are very close to tumbling down again.

Really hope I’m wrong and Wilder or someone of similar proven experience is appointed within the next 24 hours.
More chance of Deontay Wilder getting the job
We'll never know but it would be interesting to learn if Pompey have made job offers and been turned down.
Apparently still interviewing, today and tomorrow.

I very much doubt anyone has knocked us back or failed to agree terms, they’ll have known from the agent what they are expecting.
It’s best to interview everyone this might be 2nd/3rd interview’s we also have to idea who or how many have applied there might be 2 outstanding candidates and need multiple interviews to choose
(16-01-2023, 05:31 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]It’s best to interview everyone this might be 2nd/3rd interview’s we also have to idea who or how many have applied there might be 2 outstanding candidates and need multiple interviews to choose

Much better just to slag the club and owners off.
There are only 2 candidates who can do a better job than the Cowley (Wilder & Richardson). Neither look to be in contention any more. Doesn't really matter who gets chosen now, because we'll still be in L1 (or worse) in 2 years time with any of them.

Like the title says... totally shambolic.
(16-01-2023, 05:46 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]There are only 2 candidates who can do a better job than the Cowley (Wilder & Richardson). Neither look to be in contention any more. Doesn't really matter who gets chosen now, because we'll still be in L1 (or worse) in 2 years time with any of them.

There’s 8 billion people in the world, I’d wager most of them would do a better job than that pair of clowns.
(16-01-2023, 05:46 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]There are only 2 candidates who can do a better job than the Cowley (Wilder & Richardson). Neither look to be in contention any more. Doesn't really matter who gets chosen now, because we'll still be in L1 (or worse) in 2 years time with any of them.

Out of interest why do you think Grant McCann couldn't do a better job ? 

He won league one and the league one manager of the year only the season before last. 

Yes, he has some failures too but he can at least do it, and has done it recently.
Jackett had three promotions on his CV which worked out well.
(16-01-2023, 05:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

He won league one and the league one manager of the year only the season before last. 

Yes, he has some failures too but he can at least do it, and has done it recently.

We'll let it play out and if he is manager and gets us up, I'll openly admit I was wrong. The bloke has no identity of playing and totally bombed out at Peterborough. Rigidly stuck to a formation that clearly didn't work for the players he had and had no plan B whatsoever. Its going to end in tears.

Just like we all knew (except you, it appears) in pre-season.
(16-01-2023, 06:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2023, 05:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

We'll let it play out and if he is manager and gets us up, I'll openly admit I was wrong. The bloke has no identity of playing and totally bombed out at Peterborough. Rigidly stuck to a formation that clearly didn't work for the players he had and had no plan B whatsoever. Its going to end in tears.

Just like we all knew (except you, it appears) in pre-season.

The news article I read seemed to suggest that the chairman told him to play that formation so was he in full control of the team.
I'm guessing that through his coaching career, Foster has probably been told what formation to use. So he's had players privileged to be there, and a style dictated by someone else. Only guesswork, mind.
Sleepwalking to disaster, unless we get an appointment soon. IMHO its poor to have sacked Somone without having options in place for a replacement. come on Pompey get a grip!
My point exactly. Very unprofessional, looks like the club is run by accident. Peterborough sacked McCann 2 days after the Cowleys went and appointed Ferguson pretty soon after.
(17-01-2023, 10:51 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]My point exactly. Very unprofessional, looks like the club is run by accident. Peterborough sacked McCann 2 days after the Cowleys went and appointed Ferguson pretty soon after.

He’s managed them about 4 times to be fair.
Agreed, so obviously his replacement was arranged before hand. Not just knee jerk
The Eisners have never given the impression of being knee jerkers.
Normally I’d agree, like most American businessmen the Eisners generally come across as confident, organised and forward thinking.
Leaving it until 2nd January to Sack Cowley doesn’t appear to ring true with Mr Eisners message to fans about promotion being the goal this season.
Having no replacement lined up smacks of incompetence and also wastes vial time in the recruitment process. Can’t helped think we’ve been played yet again.

Fratton park is looking nice though, every cloud …..
(17-01-2023, 11:16 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, so obviously his replacement was arranged before hand. Not just knee jerk

So they probably didn’t have to go through a recruitment process did they? One quick call.
(17-01-2023, 11:53 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Normally I’d agree, like most American businessmen the Eisners generally come across as confident, organised and forward thinking.
Leaving it until 2nd January to Sack Cowley doesn’t appear to ring true with Mr Eisners message to fans about promotion being the goal this season.
Having no replacement lined up smacks of incompetence and also wastes vial time in the recruitment process. Can’t helped think we’ve been played yet again.

Fratton park is looking nice though, every cloud …..

The Eisners aren’t making all these decisions though, they have 2 experienced directors who are running the club. The idea Michael is picking up the phone and telling Cullen to sack him isn’t how it happens.

They’ve clearly wanted to go out and find the best person, you can’t do that behind closed doors and without Cowley finding out.

We’ve had 1 league game without a Head Coach and already signed a player.

Things are still moving forward and final interviews concluding today.
I’m really hoping the person appointed is someone not mentioned and will be considered a good appointment. Feel if it’s Manning, McCann etc they won’t be given much chance. Foster at least knows the club and has had good experience with the FA
I thought it was worth putting some perspective into the title of this thread. Here some stats for you regarding clubs and how long it took them to appoint a new manager recently:

MK - 12 days
Swindon - 13 days
Charlton - 15 days
QPR - 13 days
Wigan - 19 days

We're currently at 14 days and new appointment is imminent, nothing out the ordinary here and a far cry from being a shambles methinks. I would much prefer the Eisners make the right decision than a rushed wrong decision.
(17-01-2023, 03:16 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was worth putting some perspective into the title of this thread. Here some stats for you regarding clubs and how long it took them to appoint a new manager recently:

MK - 12 days
Swindon - 13 days
Charlton - 15 days
QPR - 13 days
Wigan - 19 days

We're currently at 14 days and new appointment is imminent, nothing out the ordinary here and a far cry from being a shambles methinks. I would much prefer the Eisners make the right decision than a rushed wrong decision.

Ffs we don’t want context, we want to slag the Eisners off.
It does just seem a long time to choose between a bloke who's never managed grown ups and a bloke who looks like his motivational skills would consist of dropping the nut on anyone not performing.
Pages: 1 2