TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: McCann v Foster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If the bookies and journos have got this right and the likes of Wilder & Manning are out of the picture it looks like a choice between McCann and Foster. 

Who would you prefer ? 

I'd be happy with either. I think both could be good. McCann is the more logical choice, more experienced & done it all before, but I think I'd just prefer we took a gamble on Foster.  He has the profile of the sort of appointment that has worked well at other clubs.
Weren't you telling us all in pre-season that everything was going to be great this year?
(16-01-2023, 06:17 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Weren't you telling us all in pre-season that everything was going to be great this year?

Yes, I was very optimistic ...we'd made what looked like good signings and played like promotion candidates for a couple of months. 

It all went wrong when Rafferty , Lowery & Thompson got injured , then other injuries followed at regular intervals and we lost all continuity and momentum.  Cowley's failure was not dealing with these problems effectively plus several players apparently giving up and losing all semblance of form.   

But what has that got to do with my question ?
(16-01-2023, 06:17 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Weren't you telling us all in pre-season that everything was going to be great this year?

He was telling us that in December.
Just that being happy with either seems ludicrous. Both are unsuitable for our needs. Just trying to point out that you can be a tad overly optimistic sometimes.
(16-01-2023, 06:33 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just that being happy with either seems ludicrous. Both are unsuitable for our needs. Just trying to point out that you can be a tad overly optimistic sometimes.

How can you KNOW that both are unsuitable for our needs. You can have that as an opinion but you cant state it as a matter of fact. 

And I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic any day.
We have McCann a manager who's only success with Hull, was after being relegated from the Championship the season before.... Like many other teams that go straight back up, because they have still got Championship players on the books.

And Foster who has never managed a league team!..

What a choice!..

I can't wait!.
And McCann Signed Andy Cannon!...
(16-01-2023, 06:33 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just that being happy with either seems ludicrous. Both are unsuitable for our needs. Just trying to point out that you can be a tad overly optimistic sometimes.

They are both suitable for what the club is looking for.
(16-01-2023, 06:59 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]We have McCann a manager who's only success with Hull, was after being relegated from the Championship the season before.... Like many other teams that go straight back up, because they have still got Championship players on the books.

What a choice!.. 

I can't wait!.

What was McKennas management job before Ipswich?
(16-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2023, 06:59 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]We have McCann a manager who's only success with Hull, was after being relegated from the Championship the season before.... Like many other teams that go straight back up, because they have still got Championship players on the books.

What a choice!.. 

I can't wait!.

WTF is that to do with anything?... If you could just get success every time with a Newbie, why would you pay good money for someone with a proven history of success?..

For every McKennas there are many more Andy Awford! (Manager not Player).
And it help McKennas that he has the second biggest budget!..

"Meanwhile, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby occupy spots two, three and four with the division’s biggest budgets - and crowds to match."

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...is-3987492
Either option is desperation.

Football is a small world and people talk.
"either option is desperation" How have you come to that conclusion?

McCann has the experience at league level whilst Foster has worked with some of England's brightest young talents at U18/U19 level and has recently been chosen to lead England's U20s in the 2023 World Cup. Foster has also worked at and with Pompey under Paul Cook when we won promotion from League 2. Both candidates are more than capable of getting us out of the mess we find ourselves in.

My choice would be Foster.. exciting potential. Whether he can sort out our underachieving and ragged squad from day 1 is a challenge for him.

Whoever gets the job let's get him in place now. PUP
(16-01-2023, 07:57 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

What a choice!.. 

I can't wait!.

WTF is that to do with anything?... If you could just get success every time with a Newbie, why would you pay good money for someone with a proven history of success?..

For every McKennas there are many more Andy Awford! (Manager not Player).

It’s got to do with the point you made about foster having managed, surely even you can figure that out?

Not all appointments works out.
(16-01-2023, 08:09 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]And it help McKennas that he has the second biggest budget!..

"Meanwhile, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby occupy spots two, three and four with the division’s biggest budgets - and crowds to match."

It’s just budget then? Why bother playing the games if the results are already decided?

No manager has ever failed with a big budget?
(16-01-2023, 08:09 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]And it help McKennas that he has the second biggest budget!..

"Spots two three and four" refer to league positions, not budgets.
If it is only a choice between those two then Foster for me. Neither would have been my choice but McCann's failure at Posh and his lack of flexibility worries me more than Foster's inexperience as a League manager
(17-01-2023, 12:12 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]If it is only a choice between those two then Foster for me. Neither would have been my choice but McCann's failure at Posh and his lack of flexibility worries me more than Foster's inexperience as a League manager

I wouldn't read too much into one journo's opinion on his flexibility , especially a journo who in telling the story of apparently having no plan b says he changed his formation to a plan B  only to be told to change it back by the chairman. The problem at Peterbrough is that they all love Ferguson and no-one else is given a chance. That and the fact that the chairman is an attention seeker and a  Mandaric-style interferer in team selection.

I'd be more interested in a Hull journalist's opinion. 

But I'd still prefer Foster for his greater potential.
Foster now 8/13. McCann out to 2/1. 

And the News have published some quotes from Robbie Blake saying what a good appointment Foster would be. 

Not that there is any evidence that the bookies or the News have any clue what is going in.
According to the snooze McCann is out of the running?
Foster for me.
Disappointed it's not Wilder but Foster knows us and has alot of success with youngsters.
This has always been the Eisner's preferred way of dealing
And now Manning back in to 6/5 2nd fav behind Foster. 

McCann out to 5/1
Bookies seem to have no idea, yo-yoing from one favourite to another. A good way to take suckers’ money!
McCann bet not coming in? Shame hahahahaha
Pages: 1 2