TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pompey at Millwall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: AwkpUC1.jpg]

Nostalgia! I got sent this - sender knows where but not exactly when. Anyone here in it, or know the year? 
That’s Butch at the front on the right
Seen loads recently on a couple of Facebook pages, they make me feel very old. Yes was there, but the year is blurry I think 81 but could be wrong. Recognise at least three in the picture.
If the game was a 0-0 draw its the 80/81 season.

If that's the game, I'm in their somewhere lol!

I remember Pompey being marched from the station by the Old Bill.
Half the mob of lads surged off chasing Millwall.

I also remember some Millwall turning up in the Pompey
end with lots of windmilling going on.
GC and Ethel in that pic not sure year. I went in xmas bank holiday monday 1980...drew 0-0 Rafferty scored but offside. Not saying no more on here ...but naughty naughty..Veerry Naughty. ! ?
Ethel is in a lot of pics . Fair play to him
Upon reflection, what makes me chuckle now is just how young many of those were. I was 20, heading towards 21 a lot were three/ four years younger than me! They must have been putting something in the milk back then Big Grin
In the last forty years we’ve seen this country go from wolves to poodles, and it’s all been done by design and deliberately. Social cleansing at football was just the start.
I remember going to Millwall  in the 82/3 Old Div 3 Championship winning season. Went up there with  some lads from the darts team I played in at the time.

One of them had a "Sweeney" type Ford Granada which took 6 ppl.

We were walking to the ground heard a load of noise behind us, a shed load of Millwall fans were legging it up the road chased by the  Pompey.

There were some handbags outside the ground & a few cups of tea thrown inside the ground either way through chain link  fencing that separated the fans.

We won 2-0 that day which  seemed to upset the Millwall, we also saw a few "incidents" on the way back to the car.

Also went to Plymouth when Alan Bikey scored  & everyone went "mental" with the same group of lads.

Happy Days !!
It was a different time for us especially when just starting out. Getting yourself up to Boro away age 18 with a bunch of recent nippers of recent drinking age in the fucking cold, no mobile phones, a penchant for losing coupons for the ride home and having to blag yourself home, and fuck all money, halcyon days. It was the closest thing to getting on a pirate ship and fucking offski and we did it every other weekend.

Nippers today are acrophobic cunts that are welded to mobile phones.
(29-01-2023, 08:20 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]It was a different time for us especially when just starting out. Getting yourself up to Boro away age 18 with a bunch of recent nippers of recent drinking age in the fucking cold, no mobile phones, a penchant for losing coupons for the ride home and having to blag yourself home, and fuck all money, halcyon days. It was the closest thing to getting on a pirate ship and fucking offski and we did it every other weekend.

Nippers today are acrophobic cunts that are welded to mobile phones.

That’s almost poetic and so true.
That picture looks like it was taken on a Sunday. Light traffic on the old kent road. In which case it is 82/3 morning kick off.
That plus no lead in petrol.
(29-01-2023, 10:19 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]That picture looks like it was taken on a Sunday. Light traffic on the old kent road. In which case it is 82/3 morning kick off.

Could be, but judging by the clobber I thought it was the earlier one.
Remember getting my head kicked in in that park next to the ground when I got trapped in one of those tunnels.
Another time, old bill had us corralled after the game. Someone asked about the result of the Grand National and one of them on a horse said it had been cancelled. Cue, avalanche of abuse from us directed at the lying plod. I think somebody got nicked. Found out later on Sports Report it was true. Can't remember what year. I'm guessing in the '80s sometime.
Many Millwall stories, home and away.
(30-01-2023, 10:21 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Remember getting my head kicked in in that park next to the ground when I got trapped in one of those tunnels.
Another time, old bill had us corralled after the game. Someone asked about the result of the Grand National and one of them on a horse said it had been cancelled. Cue, avalanche of abuse from us directed at the lying plod. I think somebody got nicked. Found out later on Sports Report it was true. Can't remember what year. I'm guessing in the '80s sometime.

April 4th 1993 Gerry a 1.1 draw, National voided after 2 false starts. It was also postponed in 1997, being run on the Monday but we didnt play Millwall then
(30-01-2023, 11:02 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-01-2023, 10:21 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Remember getting my head kicked in in that park next to the ground when I got trapped in one of those tunnels.

April 4th 1993 Gerry a 1.1 draw, National voided after 2 false starts. It was also postponed in 1997, being run on the Monday but we didnt play Millwall then

Ah, later than I thought. Thanks for that. 
Cancelling the National was unheard of so we just assumed old bill were trying to wind us up.
A Wed evening in November 1994 is the one I recall. We drew 2.2 Jason Rees and Macca scored. The Old Bill kept us in after but we still got pelted with bricks on the walk to the station. March 2002 we beat them here 3.0 Dave Beasant saved a pen from Claridge in front of the Fe to keep a clean sheet. Think that was a Saturday lunch time kick off. We played them in the league cup away in 2021 but haven't played them in the league since 2011/2012. Going to be a while before we meet again in the league the way I see it
Could you imagine that today? Old bill could tell the nippers the National was off due to a UFO invasion and they'd nod along accepting it whilst flicking through bollocks on Tiktok, heads down shuffling forwards
My late mate Steve Buxcey is probably in that photo somewhere.
(30-01-2023, 02:32 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]My late mate Steve Buxcey is probably in that photo somewhere.

Knew him, not seen him for years, didn’t know that he had passed, when?
(30-01-2023, 03:45 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-01-2023, 02:32 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]My late mate Steve Buxcey is probably in that photo somewhere.

This was back in November 2019 from prostate cancer. A rough diamond and a great friend, much missed. Him and Lyn really stood up when I became a widower and did my best to be with him during the last days and support Lyn after.

Just a sea of blue at his funeral. The pall bearers all wore Pompey scarfs which was Steve's last joke, given a few were scummers fans.

He often spoke of the 657 days.
(30-01-2023, 04:26 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-01-2023, 03:45 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]

This was back in November 2019 from prostate cancer. A rough diamond and a great friend, much missed. Him and Lyn really stood up when I became a widower and did my best to be with him during the last days and support Lyn after.

Just a sea of blue at his funeral. The pall bearers all wore Pompey scarfs which was Steve's last joke, given a few were scummers fans.

He often spoke of the 657 days.

I had no idea, shame. Another good one gone. RIP.
It was November 1967 when I had my  first experience of Millwall & The Old Den.

We lived on the SE outskirts of London at the time, PFC were flying high in the old second division  & as a scrawny young lad my Dad (RIP )  started taking me to some of the away games at the London clubs. (Foolham, Palarse, Charlton, Millwall).

We arrived late due to traffic & just wanting to get in the ground entered the "Home" end - bit of an eye opener for a nipper  with all the rough old London  Dockers who were the main support of Millwall in those days. Unfortunately we lost 3-2 that day (just looked  that up on Pompeyrama);

I must have been at least 4 times to The Old Den in Cold Blow Lane between Nov 1967 & when it closed  in 1993........it was definitely " an experience" Big Grin
I reckon that was 82-83.
Always a great day out. 2 sides who really knew how to ruck
Pages: 1 2 3