TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Transfer window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We really need 3 in.

Right sided centre back 
Box to box midfielder
Pacy winger

Hopefully we do some business!
Agreed.
Centre backs: Raggett has his critics but he has his plusses. He's excellent in the air, is normally well positioned to cut out crosses, makes some excellent timely blocks, scores some important goals and he's never injured. What he can't do is dribble out of defence with any confidence or make telling passes although his cross field hoofs often find his man. I think he's adequate for this level, might get badly found out higher up the ladder. Ogilvie can play centre back although he rarely does as he's played left or right back more often. Pretty solid, scores the odd goal but is slightly lacking in height. Robertson is also good enough for this level and has an excellent left foot but is injury prone hence getting Towler in. He looks like a good prospect as he's only 20 so obviously learning. All in all, agree that another one wouldn't go amiss.

Midfield: We could do with having Lowery and Mingi back as both have looked very good. Tunni had a better game yesterday but he's rather slow and 90% of the time passes sideways or backwards. Hackett is a much better option going forward, is very skilful and has a great shot on him but needs cover behind as he has been known to lose the ball in the past causing us problems. Thompson can do that.Dale is very frustrating and it seems there is a good player in there but can't mae the right decisions. Anyway, he's not ours. Pack has started to improve again after a few dodgy matches and Morrell looks to be recovering his best form if he can stay on the pitch. All in all, when all fit we have a decent midfield as we have Jewitt coming through too.

Winger: We've got Curtis who when in his right position and right frame of mind can be a match winner as being top Pompey scorer this century shows.
It just didn't work under Cowley but Mou might get him back to his best.
Dale - as mentioned he's not ours and rather exasperates. Hackett can cross although ironically our best two crossers are probably Ogilvie and Robertson. So yeah, agreed , another winger would also be welcome.
They've got two days to bring em in. Won't hold my breath.
(29-01-2023, 09:04 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed.
Centre backs: Raggett has his critics but he has his plusses. He's excellent in the air, is normally well positioned to cut out crosses, makes some excellent timely blocks, scores some important goals and he's never injured. What he can't do is dribble out of defence with any confidence or make telling passes although his cross field hoofs often find his man. I think he's adequate for this level, might get badly found out higher up the ladder. Ogilvie can play centre back although he rarely does as he's played left or right back more often. Pretty solid, scores the odd goal but is slightly lacking in height. Robertson is also good enough for this level and has an excellent left foot but is injury prone hence getting Towler in. He looks like a good prospect as he's only 20 so obviously learning. All in all, agree that another one wouldn't go amiss.

Midfield: We could do with having Lowery and Mingi back as both have looked very good. Tunni had a better game yesterday but he's rather slow and 90% of the time passes sideways or backwards. Hackett is a much better option going forward, is very skilful and has a great shot on him but needs cover behind as he has been known to lose the ball in the past causing us problems. Thompson can do that.Dale is very frustrating and it seems there is a good player in there but can't mae the right decisions. Anyway, he's not ours. Pack has started to improve again after a few dodgy matches and Morrell looks to be recovering his best form if he can stay on the pitch. All in all, when all fit we have a decent midfield as we have Jewitt coming through too.

Winger: We've got Curtis who when in his right position and right frame of mind can be a match winner as being top Pompey scorer this century shows.
Dale - as mentioned he's not ours and rather exasperates. Hackett can cross although ironically our best two crossers are probably Ogilvie and Robertson. So yeah, agreed , another winger would also be welcome.

Raggett is a good centre half at this level, I don’t understand why some people have it in for him.

What do people expect in League 1, fucking Sol Campbell?

The situation with Lowery is strange to say the least, he has been out for far too long for it just to be a hamstring injury. About time the club came clean on it. I know they said it was in an ‘unusual’ position but wtf does that actually mean? If he’s going to be out for the rest of the season we need to get a replacement in sharpish or we can kiss goodbye to this campaign.

Curtis is not a winger in any real sense though is he? We want someone who does something other than cut inside and shoot. We need a winger who can beat a defender and provide quality delivery. Trouble is, so does everybody else, so I don’t see that happening in the short term.
(29-01-2023, 11:27 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-01-2023, 09:04 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed.

Raggett is a good centre half at this level, I don’t understand why some people have it in for him.

What do people expect in League 1, fucking Sol Campbell?

The situation with Lowery is strange to say the least, he has been out for far too long for it just to be a hamstring injury. About time the club came clean on it. I know they said it was in an ‘unusual’ position but wtf does that actually mean? If he’s going to be out for the rest of the season we need to get a replacement in sharpish or we can kiss goodbye to this campaign.

Curtis is not a winger in any real sense though is he? We want someone who does something other than cut inside and shoot. We need a winger who can beat a defender and provide quality delivery. Trouble is, so does everybody else, so I don’t see that happening in the short term.

What do you think the club are covering up?! Gender reassignment surgery?
Previous contributors have correctly identified, in my view, the areas where we need to strength and improve in the next 48 hours or so.
Mousinho has barely had a chance to assess what he's got at his disposal especially if you bear in mind our ongoing injury list. He has nil experience in terms of transfers but, in this instance, he has Richard Hughes as a DoF working with Andy Cullen to handle this area; so that aspect shouldn't present any major difficulties.
The biggest problem is clear for all to see and that is the constraints with the playing budget; there shouldn't be but that is something as fans we just have to get on with it.
Subject to EFL regulations we could bring in four, or is it five, new players including one loan ...simply not going to happen though is it?!
We're a big club with 18,000 gates that is regrettably shrinking because of a playing budget that makes it impossible to compete with a large part of League One and virtually all the Championship. So, once again Messrs Hughes and Cullen will be scraping around in the bargain basement made up of out of contract players, freebies, the injury prone etc. Not easy.
There are two possible strategies here; three if you add in do bugger all.

1.  Look at the league table and the fact that effectively there is just one play off spot and make a decision to 'go for it' and bring in at least three quality players that are better than what we have available at this moment in time.

2.  Make use of Hughes' experience in lower/non-league football and bring in some promising youngsters like Swanson, Mingi and Towler to bed in for the start of next season.

3.  Sit our hands because we ain't going down and promotion is very improbable.

Well the playing budget, even though several players have left in the last couple of weeks, and the owner's lack of ambition probably rule out no.1 quite quickly.
No.2 is a more likely scenario that personally I could be forced to support if we can be sure of mounting a serious and sustainable promotion campaign next season.
If no.3 is the outcome, the pro-Eisner camp had better look out for anothergood ear bashing!
They'll need three transfer windows. Sound familiar?
This season is a right off I would be preparing for next season
Next season is one of transition.
(29-01-2023, 01:35 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Next season is one of transition.

The irony being we are transitioning nowhere lol wonder what the odds of 10 years in L1 would be?
Bailey Wright(experienced centre back promotion last season)
Macaulay langstaff(banging in the goals in non league)
Ben Thompson(only 27 on bench at posh so might be available)
robbie burton(free agent midfielder)
joe redman(LOI centre back)
Hayden Carter (not playing much maybe another loan spell)
And Break the bank for Arron Collins

I know that’s a long list and probably won’t get anyone on it but some players I’d want to see here Arron Collins could go championship right now and would be big money
(29-01-2023, 01:44 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-01-2023, 01:35 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Next season is one of transition.

The irony being we are transitioning nowhere lol wonder what the odds of 10 years in L1 would be?

And we have DC to thank for that.
I think we need 2 definitely ,3 would be nice.
A CB as cover or to challenge Raggett.
A left sided winger (proper winger that has pace and can cross),I'd like the same on the right side but unfortunately we have Dale at the moment. (I'd rather we played Recco wide right instead of Dale who produces nothing much),and thirdly (if Lowery is not coming back for months ) a box to box midfielder.

IMO if all our midfielders were fit then I believe we'd have the best midfield outside the championship ( in fact better than some Champioship clubs). Pack,Lowery,Morrell and Thompson are all capable to play in the championship plus we also have Mingi who is developing nicely.
(29-01-2023, 01:50 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Bailey Wright(experienced centre back promotion last season)
Macaulay langstaff(banging in the goals in non league)
Ben Thompson(only 27 on bench at posh so might be available)
robbie burton(free agent midfielder)
joe redman(LOI centre back)
Hayden Carter (not playing much maybe another loan spell)
And Break the bank for Arron Collins

I know that’s a long list and probably won’t get anyone on it but some players I’d want to see here Arron Collins could go championship right now and would be big money

Interesting list! Definitely agree about Collins who is a top striker at this level.

Carter would be great but see he played 90 minutes in their last game so may not be available.
Carter is playing most weeks at the moment, so no chance there.
we look to be going back to plan A, ie get in young twenty somethings who could improve and grow up a league with the team.
From memory that's how Sheff Utd, Brighton, at least, got back up the leagues after falling down.
I think we all agree this season has been one to forget really.
My high was cambridge at home and that is so uninspiring.
JM needs to see us safely through and then be ready to ask for his player wish list early.
I'm just glad we won't have Cowley telling us how we're already planning ahead for the summer window.
Pretty good window. Should aim for top 8 and see where results take them.
It will take a miracle to get top 6 this season. Best we can hope for is getting a settled spine of a team ready for next season.

1:Establish the first choice CB pairing (ideally the whole back 5 unit) and keep the keeper on our books for next year.

2: Get the confidence and bite back in the midfield.

3: Work out who is best to get more goals out of Bishop.

This is the most we can realistically hope for.