TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: All Quiet on the Transfer Front
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Whilst keeping quiet about potential targets is absolutely the correct way to do it, I can’t help thinking that once again we have left it too late. Most of our rivals for the playoffs have already concluded their major business, but will probably add a few more names before tomorrows deadline if they need them or not. It always appears we hang on to long for a bargain we are never going to get. 

Really hope I’m wrong but it just doesn’t feel like the management team are worried about the playoffs. If Richard Hughes’s knew what the targets were before Cowley went, why hasn’t he got anything over the line yet? Why does Pompey always struggle to bring in new faces.
January is an opportunist's market. Things may pick up in the next few hours as brinkmanships break down and players come onto the market at short notice
(30-01-2023, 02:21 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]January is an opportunist's market. Things may pick up in the next few hours as brinkmanships break down and players come onto the market at short notice

I’ve noticed that, last minute deals seem the norm in the January window
Here’s hoping ?
We were led to believe that recruitment is a major part of Richeard Hughes job description.
Irrespective of financial constraints and recent change of manager if he fails to comke up with the goods does that make him surplus to requirements? Or is it just me being an old sceptic after sixty years of supporting the Blues?
(30-01-2023, 02:11 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Whilst keeping quiet about potential targets is absolutely the correct way to do it, I can’t help thinking that once again we have left it too late. Most of our rivals for the playoffs have already concluded their major business, but will probably add a few more names before tomorrows deadline if they need them or not. It always appears we hang on to long for a bargain we are never going to get. 

Really hope I’m wrong but it just doesn’t feel like the management team are worried about the playoffs. If Richard Hughes’s knew what the targets were before Cowley went, why hasn’t he got anything over the line yet? Why does Pompey always struggle to bring in new faces.

What do you mean 'why hasn't he got anything over the line yet' ????? 

Could have sworn I watched two new players play in the last three games FFS.
I think the most important business in this transfer window has been done with departures........Danny and Nicky Cowley.
(30-01-2023, 03:17 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I think the most important business in this transfer window has been done with departures........Danny and Nicky Cowley.

I guess you are easily pleased with mid table mediocrity despite Michael Eisner saying in November that we were serious about a play off place. The next 36 hours will show how serious they really are.
(30-01-2023, 03:17 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I think the most important business in this transfer window has been done with departures........Danny and Nicky Cowley.

They are close up in the betting for the Aberdeen job and if they smooth talk those jocks they could be noshing on haggis,neeps and tatties by the weekend (last seen up at kings cross kilted out clutching a half empty bottle of teachers)   appropriate?
(30-01-2023, 03:39 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]

I guess you are easily pleased with mid table mediocrity despite Michael Eisner saying in November that we were serious about a play off place. The next 36 hours will show how serious they really are.

Rather mid table than relegation under the Chuckle Brothers.  Do you know how many games we won between November and DC getting sacked?
(30-01-2023, 03:00 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]We were led to believe that recruitment is a major part of Richeard Hughes job description.
Irrespective of financial constraints and recent change of manager if he fails to comke up with the goods does that make him surplus to requirements? Or is it just me being an old sceptic after sixty years of supporting the Blues?
Both
Apparently we're in a 3 way loan 'battle' with Brizzle City and Wycombe for some 21 yr old from Palarse . He's called Jake O'Brien and he's been on loan at some Belgian div 2 club. Palace reckon he's championship ready.
lifted this from Newsnow but no decent journalistic links other than real efl etc.
Tony brown the finance director and Phil boardman are the only consistent regarding poor recruitment over the last few years
We need to dump freeman & Robertson and try and get our £50k back for Curtis.

Then we need a CB a left back a holding midfielder and a striker.
Agreed Ped but I really think we may struggle.
I just want this season over with!
I don’t. Still nearly half the season left and I pay to see entertainment, not promotion.

Just entertain us and I’ll be happy.
Christ Pedro, Curtis must be worth more than 50000
Nope, he ain’t
(30-01-2023, 06:23 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Christ Pedro, Curtis must be worth more than 50000

Not with only a few months left on his contract he isn't. Fees have little to do with how good a player is these days, it's all about length of contract.  

If he chooses he can sign a pre-contract agreement with anyone he likes to go for free in the summer. 

But his injury probably makes any departure unlikely.
'Entertain us'?
How many times have we been entertained this season?
Count on one hand really
Something that annoys me about one or two of the comments on this thread is that the January market isn't a static market where all players are for sale on day 1.

Loads of players only go on the market on the morning of deadline day.

I don't see how that can be any recruitment offer or Chief Executive's fault.

Progressive planning can only be done against the summer market.
7 times, by my count.

I don’t want that to be the end of it though.
(30-01-2023, 06:31 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Something that annoys me about one or two of the comments on this thread is that the January market isn't a static market where all players are for sale on day 1.

Loads of players only go on the market on the morning of deadline day.

I don't see how that can be any recruitment offer or Chief Executive's fault.

Progressive planning can only be done against the summer market.

It’s the Eisners fault
We need a captain. All the ones who’ve had a go have been shit.

Apart from (strangely) Curtis.
You need a good 3 or 4 proud players, minimum who set and expect standards.

They havent got to be thugs. Taylor and O'Neil were lightweights but they were hard as fucking nails between their ears
Pages: 1 2