TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Di`Shon Bernard on loan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks like its happening. From Manchester utd. Right sided centre back. Been on loan at Hull and Salford.
Good, bad, indifferent signing assuming it happens? Thoughts?
He's 22 , so that's only two squad places left now.
Looks like a good one to me. Can't think of anyone else who has an apostrophe in their first name. B'stard was a surname, right?
Hull wanted to sign him permanently before his injury so that’s a good sign. Has been back in training for a month.
(31-01-2023, 10:16 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He's 22 , so that's only two squad places left now.

He'll be a loanee so will that count? Plus IF we get Paddy Lane he's only 21 so that should still leaves us 2 places.
(31-01-2023, 10:22 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a good one to me. Can't think of anyone else who has an apostrophe in their first name. B'stard was a surname, right?

The Pompey Shop are going to have a nightmare trying to get that name on the back of a shirt.  Big Grin
(31-01-2023, 12:21 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-01-2023, 10:22 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a good one to me. Can't think of anyone else who has an apostrophe in their first name. B'stard was a surname, right?

The Pompey Shop are going to have a nightmare trying to get that name on the back of a shirt.  Big Grin

Bernard?

Rapper Ice Cube’s real name is O’Shea Jackson Sr
We get our players from Wish, so it'll be a Saint Bernard dog.
Westie, that should be his surname so doesn’t count. Anyway it’s Irish so even more so
A name that made me think of this...

https://youtu.be/gODZzSOelss
Donkey Teeth from Boise state University!
FAF
Now confirmed on the OS, loan until end of season
Good news!
Hopefully a quality centre back. Hope we have carried out due diligence and research.
No we just thought he had an unusual name , kidnapped him and drove him down to Pompey.
He looks fucking nails, hope he plays like it too
Don't mean this as an insult whatsoever, but I'm genuinely shocked Bernard ended up at Pompey, simply because he was very good for Hull last season and I expected he would have had Championship clubs in need of a CB interested in his services. He's got good physicality, good pace, and can pick a forward pass. I still expect he will play at a higher level than League One after this season based on previous performances, but for now I would consider this signing a coup at this level.

I know I'll be stopping by this forum now to get some updates, I love following the Man Utd loan players across the EFL, and the forums are the best place to do just that. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope D'Shon turns out a fantastic signing for you all!
(31-01-2023, 07:16 PM)ctl131 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't mean this as an insult whatsoever, but I'm genuinely shocked Bernard ended up at Pompey, simply because he was very good for Hull last season and I expected he would have had Championship clubs in need of a CB interested in his services.  He's got good physicality, good pace, and can pick a forward pass.  I still expect he will play at a higher level than League One after this season based on previous performances, but for now I would consider this signing a coup at this level. 

I know I'll be stopping by this forum now to get some updates, I love following the Man Utd loan players across the EFL, and the forums are the best place to do just that. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope D'Shon turns out a fantastic signing for you all!

No dig personally, but I wonder how many of these "man utd loan players across the EFL" actually end up with a career at United?

Premier league teams just sweeping up youngsters with no intention of ever playing them. Meanwhile, they'll still spunking millions betting on foreign players from South America etc.
(31-01-2023, 07:23 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-01-2023, 07:16 PM)ctl131 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't mean this as an insult whatsoever, but I'm genuinely shocked Bernard ended up at Pompey, simply because he was very good for Hull last season and I expected he would have had Championship clubs in need of a CB interested in his services.  He's got good physicality, good pace, and can pick a forward pass.  I still expect he will play at a higher level than League One after this season based on previous performances, but for now I would consider this signing a coup at this level. 

No dig personally, but I wonder how many of these "man utd loan players across the EFL" actually end up with a career at United?

Premier league teams just sweeping up youngsters with no intention of ever playing them. Meanwhile, they'll still spunking millions betting on foreign players from South America etc.

Since I've been following the loanees (probably 3-4 seasons now), none, but to be fair, not many have actually had good loans in the EFL.  A lot of the players the last few seasons were given loans to European clubs, which didn't work out and definitely didn't help with the players development.  The two most successful, off the top of my head, were Dean Henderson and James Garner, both who would be in the United team if they were still at the club, with varying degrees of involvement.  

Out of the current crop, I'd say there are genuinely 4-5 that have a chance of making a career at United, or at least getting a shot to make a career at United.  Amad is a certainty to be given a chance, and Hannibal is developing nicely at Birmingham considering how crap they are and the horrid style they play.  I really like Alvaro Fernandez at PNE, too, he's electric going forward but his lack of defensive solidity might be his undoing, and I think Ethan Laird is a good player too; both have an outside shot at getting into the squad for next season but aren't as close as the other two.  

I agree that big clubs hoard too many players, and they would be better off just playing for 'smaller' clubs and getting the experience from the off, but I understand (financially) why they join a club like United and just agree to be farmed out year after year.