TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Griffiths an elite keeper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to Richard Hughes. If that's the case we need stellar now.
Was given his WBA home debut last week & let one in - tonight had three knocked past him at Watford........
Griffiths was not very good. Too nervous. He could end up being good at some stage but that's useless in a season where you're supposed to be aiming for promotion.
(20-02-2023, 10:30 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Griffiths was not very good. Too nervous. He could end up being good at some stage but that's useless in a season where you're supposed to be aiming for promotion.

Agreed, what hacked me off was we let go a better all round  young goalkeeper in Alex Bass because The Cowleys didn't rate his distribution skills.

Sunderland obviously saw something in him to give him a 3 year contract ...distribution skills can be improved.  Basic goalkeeping & confidence in your own ability are much harder to improve.
I will agree all day long with that EXT - BASS a much better proposition, but lost to our detriment..

I don't get all the picky bits about young keepers. And, OLUWAYEMI we must RETAIN as a future No.1 (as previously posted).

ALL players make errors, some of them are the, allegedly, hypersonic stratosphere class super-star strikers.

What about the big man from Man City recently missing sitters?

Please do not part with good young keepers as easily as we have parted - in the past - with Premier class centre-halfs!
I was never convinced by Bass, but he clearly had potential.

I trusted Cowley's judgement and reasoning for bringing in Griffiths.

Sadly, I was wrong to do so as it turned out to be utter bollocks.
If we're supposed to listen to rich Hughes,what is his actual transfer achievements?
(21-02-2023, 10:21 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]If we're supposed to listen to rich Hughes,what is his actual transfer achievements?

I'd say Macey, Towler, Bernard & Lane are a good start in his Pompey career. 

And he got the gig because he filled Forest Green with unknowns that got them promotion.
From what my mate a Baggies fan tells me.....After Josh Griffiths was recalled their no1 Alex Palmer was injured in training. Their often criticised no2 David Button did well in a 1.0 win over Coventry. Josh made a big boob gifting a goal, in an u23 loss to Villa's u23s. Button made 2 big errors in a 2.0 loss to Birmingham, it was decided to give Josh a run in the 1st team. He should have done better with Blackburn's late equaliser. Last night in his 2nd game he gave the ball away from a poor clearance which led to Watford's 1st goal. Some would say he ought to have done better trying to clear the ball when on the ground for that goal but no blame attached to their 2nd and 3rd goal. He is only 21, has potential but isn't elite for sure.
For elite read average
(21-02-2023, 10:44 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-02-2023, 10:21 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]If we're supposed to listen to rich Hughes,what is his actual transfer achievements?

And he got the gig because he filled Forest Green with unknowns that got them promotion.

And unknowns that will get them relegated this season
It’s a misprint they meant he’s lite.
(21-02-2023, 01:29 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]

And unknowns that will get them relegated this season

They sold a few on ... like Aaron Collins.  It'd be useful if he got on well with him and could persuade him down here next season.
(21-02-2023, 11:56 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]For elite read average

I suppose it all boils to if England U21 counts as elite.   I'd say it was stretching it a bit, but if there is such a thing as 'elite potential' he could maybe qualify for that.
Griffiths was a decent shot stopper,brilliant at palming out shots into the path of oncoming forwards.(see last night)
On crosses into the box...very poor and didn`t command his box, so staying on the line is his number one strategy..........not good enough.
A goalkeeper who inspires no confidence in either the fans nor his own back 4.
distribution was average.
DESTINED FOR A CAREER IN THE LOWER LEVELS.........ELITE MY ARSE.

It's early days but I think the early signs of Hughes are positive. The shift away from loans is definitely Hughes finding his feet and having a coach that he can control more because he basically appointed him.

There's a difference between getting up from L2 and staying in L1.  For example, in L2, professional players are incapable of trapping a ball without it first coming to a complete stop, whilst in L1 they can trap the ball but are incapable of passing accurately without the recipient of the ball being given sufficient warning of such a plan.

Hughes helped create a team that did well in L2 and did the job. He was tapped up by PFC before the new season so had limited say on improving that squad for L1. Perhaps that's why the vegan moosh was so upset when we got him. Not saying he's a genius (and we all know he'll stab us in the back by moving further up the ladder should he succeed) but I think he's a good addition considering the mess we currently have. Certainly a bit more support to a coaching team with a combined actual league management experience of single figure games anyway.
(21-02-2023, 04:50 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

It's early days but I think the early signs of Hughes are positive. The shift away from loans is definitely Hughes finding his feet and having a coach that he can control more because he basically appointed him.

There's a difference between getting up from L2 and staying in L1.  For example, in L2, professional players are incapable of trapping a ball without it first coming to a complete stop, whilst in L1 they can trap the ball but are incapable of passing accurately without the recipient of the ball being given sufficient warning of such a plan.

Hughes helped create a team that did well in L2 and did the job. He was tapped up by PFC before the new season so had limited say on improving that squad for L1. Perhaps that's why the vegan moosh was so upset when we got him. Not saying he's a genius (and we all know he'll stab us in the back by moving further up the ladder should he succeed) but I think he's a good addition considering the mess we currently have. Certainly a bit more support to a coaching team with a combined actual league management experience of single figure games anyway.

'in L1 they can trap the ball but are incapable of passing accurately without the recipient of the ball being given sufficient warning of such a plan.'  Big Grin
for elite
read good at 5 side tippytappy games with no challenges
his ability to palm the ball out in front seems to be a habit of most young keepers at present, maybe they get away with it when there is only one striker in most teams, with Whitt against them his extendo leg would have a field day.
Agreed Hammie, and Mr David KEMP would be carrying the ball home every week !