TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sean Raggett
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think we are going to find out very quickly, how much Raggett does defensively for us. If Di'Shon Bernard is not a far better defensively minded defender then Towler, and they play together. It could be a bit of a car crash.

Don't get me wrong on the ball Towler looks a good player far better then Raggett. But when it comes to defending Raggett has filled in holes for him in the games I have seen, when he is out of position.

And I think if he could add Raggett defective quality's to his game we could have the next Burgess on our hands.
He puts his head in where it hurts and he gets up for corners. But otherwise I believe my eyes rather than my heart and see Raggett as a player who is one to two seconds too slow in his decision making and plays like he has a restricted range of movement.

If he is in the right place at the right time then it's great. If it isn't, his anticipation and reaction betrays him and he is the weak link.

That's why he is back in League 1 with us.

That all said, half the time he can get away with it at this level, and he is ours, so of course we back him whilst we have him.

But the moment someone better comes along (which may have just happened) there must be no room for sentiment.
Except we're talking about developing someone else's defender for a few months whilst we flounder in mid table.
Then back to square one in the summer.

Familiar.

EDIT. just realised you meant Towler rather than Bernie  Idea
Even so we’re hardly developing Bernard , he’s got a decent enough pedigree and proven championship experience, he’s exactly what we need and I believe his contract is up in the summer.
Makes me laugh, all this talk of developing someone else’s players. Fair enough if they’re in their teens but not if they’ve already got first team experience.

Can we develop Messi too?
He's a young centre back who will likely be beyond us in the summer....and he's contracted at Man Utd until 2026.

If we're not developing him we're doing something wrong.
More likely that he’ll be developing us and if he isn’t then I’m not fussed about him being here.

He’s already got 28 championship games under his belt. That’s more than many of our current squad have.

Develop?
Young players get sent out to improve, its quite simple.
I have no problem with doing that if it also benefits us.
We helped Bazunu no end last year, but what did it actually achieve us?
This guy is more than likely an upgrade on what we've got but what will we actually get out of it? Without him we'll likely finish mid table. With him....
(02-02-2023, 01:46 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Young players get sent out to improve, its quite simple.
This guy is more than likely an upgrade on what we've got but what will we actually get out of it?  Without him we'll likely finish mid table.  With him....

I would say playing Bazunu definitely improved our defenders, especially Raggett who has looked far less confident since he left. His presence will also have had a strong influence on the development of Toby Steward. 

If he is any good the presence of Bernard should be a positive influence on Towler's development, and with the way Utd are splashing the cash it is far from certain that they will want him back so who's to say  they won't sell him in the summer. If he likes it here we could have as much chance as anyone of getting him. He is 22 so past the 'young player getting sent out for experience'  stage', he will want to be playing regularly somewhere. He could become our next Matt Clarke. 

It's certainly a more complex question than simply saying we still finished mid-table so what was the point.
(02-02-2023, 01:46 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Young players get sent out to improve, its quite simple.
This guy is more than likely an upgrade on what we've got but what will we actually get out of it?  Without him we'll likely finish mid table.  With him....

Fringe PL squad players get sent out because their parent clubs could exceed the max allowed number, it’s quite simple.

Ref Bazunu:- if the rest of the Pompey owned players had performed as they should then we may well have gone up. That’s the point, it’s quite simple.
Maybe I'm being really thick but what I don't understand is the following:

Based on the assumption the aim is to get promoted from this dogshit league.

How does continally putting kids from other clubs in critical positions help to build a promotion squad? They stay for 1 season Max (often half a season) and then we are back to square one. To be clear, I consider the critical positions to be: GK, CB, CF.

If someone can explain twhy not having any continuity in the vital positions (where partnerships and experience are most important), is a good thing, I'd be most grateful.
(02-02-2023, 04:13 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm being really thick but what I don't understand is the following:

How does continally putting kids from other clubs in critical positions help to build a promotion squad? They stay for 1 season Max (often half a season) and then we are back to square one. To be clear, I consider the critical positions to be: GK, CB, CF.

If someone can explain twhy not having any continuity in the vital positions (where partnerships and experience are most important), is a good thing, I'd be most grateful.

The club have said for a long time that they don’t want to continue with relying on loans, they even went on record telling Danny that they didn’t want to rely on loans. However, it is January and we are where we are. You will have noticed a different transfer strategy of recruiting young emerging talents that we can improve and build a team with.

I would expect next seasons squad to not be so reliant on loans.

Hughes has only recently joined and the king of loans is now long gone.
(02-02-2023, 04:13 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm being really thick but what I don't understand is the following:

Too right mate, how many times have clubs in the lower leagues put good teams together using loan players, they miss out on promotion then the team falls apart and they crash and burn. Look at Donny a couple seasons ago, a really strong promotion contender, but missed out and now look where they are, look at MK Dons this year compared to last.
(02-02-2023, 04:43 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: [ -> ]

Too right mate, how many times have clubs in the lower leagues put good teams together using loan players, they miss out on promotion then the team falls apart and they crash and burn. Look at Donny a couple seasons ago, a really strong promotion contender, but missed out and now look where they are, look at MK Dons this year compared to last.

DC believed relying on loans is the best policy, the club don’t and it isn’t the policy now but that’s not to say loans won’t be used.
Did MKDons have loads of loan players or just sell their best players, hence imploding
Exactly right Pedalo.
Raggett is our best defender by far, especially when he has a good partner and a Keeper who inspires confidence and a manager who doesn’t want him to play the ball around in dangerous areas.

Nothing wrong with the theory, as long as those players perform well for that season.

Last season, Bazunu did the business but George didn’t start performing until it was too late.

This season, Griffiths was patchy at best and Scarlett has faded into obscurity (won’t even start on Pigott).

They only need to be there for one season, as long as the promotion happens in that one season. You could argue that as soon as you get promoted, you’d have to rebuild again anyway and the players who have done the business for you will probably not be good enough for the division above.

It becomes a lottery though when you realise that any player who goes out on loan is out on loan for a very good reason. Younger PL players are a very hit and miss option. For every Defoe at Bournemouth, there is a Scarlett at Pompey.
It becomes even more of a lottery when you start trying to use older players. Why Cowley thought that Pigott would be any good for Pompey when he wasn’t good enough for Ipswich, in the same division, totally beats me.

I’m all for building for the future but that takes patience. I don’t think there are many on here who have that patience.
He’s been absolutely awful today
Just because Raggett is our best defender, doesn't automatically mean he is good enough. It just a relection on how poor our defense is.
(11-02-2023, 06:36 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just because Raggett is our best defender, doesn't automatically mean he is good enough. It just a relection on how poor our defense is.

Raggett is good at being a stodgy centre half when it comes to high balls into the box and positioning but his skills and all round footballing abilities have seriously been brought into question today. Is he good enough for a run of the mill mid table League One team? Absolutely he is and will be able to earn a wage doing so but is he the quality needed for the Championship or a team wanting to be in the Championship or does he get found out against teams around or above that level? Today in my opinion was your answer. Too slow, too uncoordinated on or around the ball but yes still good enough for a lower League One team. Our aspirations are higher than that and he will still do a job against the shittier teams in this league but he’s just not Championship level and that’s the problem. Love the bloke, he gives 100% but anyone with Championship or above ability will put him to the sword and that’s just my take on Sean Raggett
I think that is being totally unfair on Raggett. Today we played 3-4-3 as for some reason the coach played Bernard as a midfielder. That left Raggett exposed as he had no cover on his right. Blame the coach, not Raggett.
(11-02-2023, 06:49 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2023, 06:36 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just because Raggett is our best defender, doesn't automatically mean he is good enough. It just a relection on how poor our defense is.

Raggett is good at being a stodgy centre half when it comes to high balls into the box and positioning but his skills and all round footballing abilities have seriously been brought into question today. Is he good enough for a run of the mill mid table League One team? Absolutely he is and will be able to earn a wage doing so but is he the quality needed for the Championship or a team wanting to be in the Championship or does he get found out against teams around or above that level? Today in my opinion was your answer. Too slow, too uncoordinated on or around the ball but yes still good enough for a lower League One team. Our aspirations are higher than that and he will still do a job against the shittier teams in this league but he’s just not Championship level and that’s the problem. Love the bloke, he gives 100% but anyone with Championship or above ability will put him to the sword and that’s just my take on Sean Raggett

Raggett was good on the ball today and defended well too, so I think your ‘take’ on him is a false one.

We are in League 1, and on today’s showing will remain there for at least another season, other areas of the side need addressing first imho.
(11-02-2023, 09:53 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

Raggett was good on the ball today and defended well too, so I think your ‘take’ on him is a false one.

We are in League 1, and on today’s showing will remain there for at least another season, other areas of the side need addressing first imho.

Raggett didn’t move for their first goal just ball watched and had a very heavy touch which gave the ball away for their second. He was very poor. They are basic errors and defenders at any level should not be doing either of them
But they do make those errors, at every level.

He did more right than wrong.
(12-02-2023, 05:41 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2023, 09:53 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

Raggett didn’t move for their first goal just ball watched and had a very heavy touch which gave the ball away for their second. He was very poor. They are basic errors and defenders at any level should not be doing either of them

“Raggett didn’t move”. Ffs, the ball rebounded behind him from the shot and was put away while he turned. “Ball watching”. You twonk!
Pages: 1 2 3