TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Flags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everybody saw st James park against the scummers, all the different flags being waved and how it adds to the atmosphere. Why can't we do that at fratton especially at the fratton end ? If anyone can remember the night we clinched promotion against Burnley under Redknapp it was a sea of flags and the atmosphere was incredible. Someone said a couple of years ago about creating an ultra section but nothing came of it. Come on guys dust off your old flags and let's make fratton even more intimidating for the opposition. PUP. ?
Flags don't sing but I get your point
Flags can be a bit annoying if someone is waving one in front of you. Almost as irritating as the idiotic rows of mobile phones held aloft and blocking your view as you try to watch a concert. But.....
.......remember the ticker-tape at Anfield? Jaw-dropping - and one of my most enduring memories as a fan.
Tickertape awesome.

Flags....well, they're just flags.
Agreed Gerry, what a night. Pompey Loyal was the great one for flags. RIP
(04-02-2023, 08:22 AM)Yepmop70 Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody saw st James park against the scummers, all the different flags being waved and how it adds to the atmosphere. Why can't we do that at fratton especially at the fratton end ? If anyone can remember the night we clinched promotion against Burnley under Redknapp it was a sea of flags and the atmosphere was incredible. Someone said a couple of years ago about creating an ultra section but nothing came of it. Come on guys dust off your old flags and let's make fratton even more intimidating for the opposition. PUP. ?

Flags don’t ‘add to the atmosphere’, they just get in the way of the match. I can only imagine the trouble at the Fratton End if some twat started waving a flag in people’s line if sight. A lot of the flags would not survive the match, that’s for sure  Big Grin .

Ticker tape was good in the old days but I suspect the cleaning staff wouldn’t be too thrilled  Smile .

Atmosphere is created by people and noise, not fucking flags.

For any snowflakes reading this I apologise for any offence caused by the ‘effing and jeffing but it’s match day and I am getting in the mood  Big Grin .
The atmosphere at the Checkatrade final was amazing and it was partly due to the 50000 odd blue flags given out
(04-02-2023, 08:22 AM)Yepmop70 Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody saw st James park against the scummers, all the different flags being waved and how it adds to the atmosphere. Why can't we do that at fratton especially at the fratton end ? If anyone can remember the night we clinched promotion against Burnley under Redknapp it was a sea of flags and the atmosphere was incredible. Someone said a couple of years ago about creating an ultra section but nothing came of it. Come on guys dust off your old flags and let's make fratton even more intimidating for the opposition. PUP. ?

Flags are for morons. It's why you see so many at Glastonbury.
You would have to get the moron Westwood to give you permission to change the cr-p atmosphere that he controls.
Flags/banners hung over hoardings fine (the England games of the 70's and 80's were great for that).

Bit of cloth waved in yer face, not so good.
(04-02-2023, 06:23 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Flags are for morons. It's why you see so many at Glastonbury.

If Pompey Loyal is looking down on you he won't be happy
On a more recent and smaller scale.
At Shrewsbury, I liked their home end with safe standing behind the seated area. And when the teams came out the home end standing was full of flags which looked great, and being Shrews, all politely put down during the game.
I still think there something to be said about relocating the away fans once the ME is finished, especially with the rail seating being installed. Both ends full of home fans would do wonder for the atmosphere especially with one of those ends being free from the instrument brigade.

If not this then maybe make the section in the North Lower closest to the away fans an unofficial standing/noisy area. Whoever is there spend half their time standing anyway, the Barnsley match was no different.

I may give the club an email or something, it can't hurt to pose the question. Maybe regarding the Milton end it could be something that's experimented with when we know we're only gonna get a few hundred away fans (Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton etc etc).
They get a corner, we get the rest including behind the goal.
I can see there being one issue from the safety people. The behaviour in the end of the North "terrace" closest to the away fans became so aggressive that they closed off some of that part of the ground. Which would stop us having home fans anywhere close to any away fans no matter how innocuous they are.
I'd imagine that's what it would come down to from the clubs POV. Also the logistical issue of relocating away fans which would include not only relocating any home fans in that area but also building security doors in the North lower, and policing them. You can't have away fans marched down the back of the North stand as it's too narrow. You'd either have to havve walked the long way round the North stand or past the Milton end and I'm sure the local plod would have a lot to say about either. Currently all they have to do is take them down a main road and then a reasonably sized side road.

I think it would atleast be worth a look into. We know that we'll get a max of 200 away fans from Morecombe and Accrington. Stick them in the North Lower corner, give the home fans the Milton end and see what happens.
"Stick them in the North Lower corner".

So relocate season-ticket holders from one of the most vocal areas in the ground?
(06-02-2023, 08:42 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]"Stick them in the North Lower corner".

So relocate season-ticket holders from one of the most vocal areas in the ground?

and the south lower has posh padded seats now, didn't realise til i tried to buy some tickets down there and found its a lot more expensive
(06-02-2023, 08:42 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]"Stick them in the North Lower corner".

So those vocal fans would then be behind the goal as opposed to alongside it. With a low roof they'd probably sound even louder.

I'm open to either or, have the North Lower as a unofficial standing area or have the Milton end as all home fans. The away fans have to go somewhere and IMO behind the goal shouldn't be it. Plenty of other teams in recent times have relocated where the away fans are (Derby, Leeds, Villa, Middlesbrough, Sunderland to name a few).

By the way I'm not expecting either idea to be implemented for reason I explained in my last post but it's worth exploring and I'm sure a compromise could be found.