TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Player Ratings v Barnsley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Matt Macey - 8 saved us at least 3 times in first half.

Di Shon Bernard- 7 started off very shaky & was caught out of position a couple of times.Grew as the game progressed.

Sean Raggett - 6 like most fans I shudder every time  the ball is at his feet &  he is being pressurised. Good in the air & the ball was in the air a lot .

Ruler Towler - 8  What a mature & composed performance from a 20 yr old - is a real find.

Connor Ogilvie-7 Typical dependable solid performance 

Joe Morrell - 8 Fantastic workrate, got about, passed well & drew a few fouls. Had a couple of chances to shoot especially in second half but chose to pass instead. 

Marlon Pack -7 Solid, a few wayward passes & shots. Got clattered a couple of times by strong Barnsley midfield.  Hee needs to play 5/10 yds yds in front of the back 4 not very a part of them at times. 

Ryan Tunnicliffe - 6 Steady but unspectacular.

Owen Dale - 6 The normal headless chicken type performance. Workrate is great but no end product whatsoever. 

Colby Bishop - 9 Notched a good goal, was clattered, pulled & pushed all over the place by Barnsley defence but stuck to the task  & did a great job.

Michael Jacobs -8 had one of his better games, good passing & set piece deliveries. 

Nathan Thompson -7 solid when he came on. 

Paddy Lane -7 some nice touches, looks to have a wand of a left foot. 

Andy Woolmer Referee -3 One of the worst referees I have ever seen  at a professional game-  didn't look fit to do the job, the Barnsley defenders were getting away with holding, pushing, shoving & a lot more in the first half. The clown hardly spoke to any of them & only booked one of them reluctantly towards the end.  Needs to be pensioned off ASAP.......... 

Must have missed Nathan coming on.

Bernard at first I thought fuck me, Sonko is back.

But after a while it was clear this boy is absolute quality.
the radio clearly agreed with you about the referee, bad for both sides
I don't disagree with most of those ratings. Thought Tunnicliffe had a decent game and would give 7 and probably only 6 for Bernard
What did Raggers do wrong to warrant a six? Won virtually everything in the air and made three or four timely interceptions. Caused a few problems at set pieces and made almost all his clearances well. I agree that he looks as if he’s gonna cock it up most of the time but rarely does.
My ratings.

Macey. What a find. Great stop for that one on one. 8
Ogilvie back on top. A shame that cross hit the first man. 7.5
Towler. Another great signing, although he wasn’t quite as accomplished, in my view. 7.5
Raggett Just looks far more comfortable with players around him he has confidence in. He strikes me as the sort of player who knows exactly what his own limitations are and doesn’t want to have to need to cover someone else’s. 7.5
Bernard. Good start to his time at Pompey. Got forward plenty of times. 7.5
Morrell. Great to see him back. Harries and hustles everything. Probably one of the players who has most benefitted from Cowleys departure. 8
Tunnicliffe. Been gradually getting better and better. If it wasn’t for his wayward shooting…8
Pack. As mentioned, a few wayward passes, play further forward. He has class and it would be nice to see it. 7.5
Jacobs. Surprisingly energetic performance that tested Barnsley’s defence. MOM 8
Bishop. How can you be sandwiched between two centre halves and give away a free kick? He was bullied and hauled around all game but never gave up. What a well taken goal. 8
Dale. Much better today. There was only one occasion where he made totally the wrong decision (of course, it was critical) but he performed well. I thought he would be replaced by Lane but I could see why JM kept him on. 7.5

Lane. Didn’t see enough of him to be sure but looks promising on a brief showing (so did Koroma). 7.5

Thompson. Didn’t get booked. The fact that he was only brought on late in the game, showed how well the midfield did today. 7.5
Do we have a buy option for Macey?
(05-02-2023, 09:09 AM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]Do we have a buy option for Macey?

As he is 2nd choice we could probably get him but it will cost, maybe more than we will pay. A top keeper is the first thing needed for a promotion side though.
Im looking forward to seeing Bernard in his natural position at centre back because after a nervy start he did look like he has lot to offer. He reminds me of a young Darren Moore.  His only possible weakness seemed to be first time control of the ball on a couple of occasions, which is surprising for a premiership rated player.
(05-02-2023, 10:17 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Im looking forward to seeing Bernard in his natural position at centre back because after a nervy start he did look like he has lot to offer. He reminds me of a young Darren Moore.  His only possible weakness seemed to be first time control of the ball on a couple of occasions, which is surprising for a premiership rated player.

hopefully control will improve as he gets used to our pitch which often seems over watered and very slippery for both teams