TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Saturdays Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Win lose or draw, that was a team who are 100% playing for the Manager, I must admit to being very underwhelmed by the appointment of Moshinho.
That was the first game for ages that I have enjoyed and thought the draw was a fair result in the end.
Barnsley were a big physical very astute team who managed to con the referee consistently, however in the 2nd half, I thought Pompey were magnificent apart from taking their chances.
The lad from Man United was excellent on debut and has the physicality we need in future.
All in all , showing that kind of performance with a few additions in the summer will make next season very exciting.
Imagine players and manager are now speaking to one another on a level. Good to see.
Given the quality of the players that have just come in, the question has to be asked why Cowley's signings were so poor.
(06-02-2023, 08:58 AM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]Win lose or draw, that was a team who are 100% playing for the Manager

But we said that about Cowley when he took over from Jackett and didn't he get four or five wins on the trot? Plus he never had the chance to bring in any new faces and had to work with the dross that was Jackett's squad (Cannon, Morris or White anyone?).

I agree with the sentiment but will give it a while yet before thinking Mousinho is the new messiah as the new manager bounce is still there.
Even Dale was putting his foot in on 50/50 challenges, this team is nowhere near promotion candidates but they are on the right track with a bit more physicality, mental toughness and a bit more skill.
Fcuking Eisners , it’s up to you now.
Saturday was a good start.
(06-02-2023, 09:45 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Given the quality of the players that have just come in, the question has to be asked why Cowley's signings were so poor.

Several of Cowley's signings were amongst the better players yeseterday ... e.g Pack, Morrell, Bishop.  Add Thompson, Lowery, Robertson, Mingi & Swanson to those and I don't think you can say Cowley made bad signings on the whole. 

But it is encouraging that Hughes has made what look like good signings this month.
He signed a lot more players than those on show and named. I would say he signed as many misses as he did hits. That ratio isn't good enough for any professional manager, it's the same as flipping a coin.

The Tyler Walker signing will always stand out in the memory. The talk is Cowley chose loaning him over signing two perms, and used the same amount of budget to do it.
(06-02-2023, 10:37 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2023, 09:45 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Given the quality of the players that have just come in, the question has to be asked why Cowley's signings were so poor.

Several of Cowley's signings were amongst the better players yeseterday ... e.g Pack, Morrell, Bishop.  Add Thompson, Lowery, Robertson, Mingi & Swanson to those and I don't think you can say Cowley made bad signings on the whole. 

But it is encouraging that Hughes has made what look like good signings this month.

Poor old TBP

He’s gonna get something right soon. Big Grin Big Grin
Bearing in mind financial constraints, with none or two exceptions, Cowley made some excellent signings. It's just a shame he didn't know how to make the best of them! Overall Richard Hughes is doing pretty well but I'm not one of those that fancies a virtual rebuild every year prior to the new campaign. We need to focus on back room staff to avoid the number of injuries and the ridiculously long recovery periods.

Komora, Griffith's, Dale, Scarlett.
Sorting the medical problems is a must along with JMs number two. Stop signing injury prone players.
(06-02-2023, 11:30 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

Scarlett's a strange one.  I don't remember anyone complaining about him when he scored a couple of excellent goals against Peterborough in early September.  I think most thought we'd hit the jackpot with him, though I stand to be corrected.
I remember thinking the same about Curtis when he joined.
Curtis has scored 56 goals for us, more or less 1 every 4 games. That's an excellent return for a winger.
(06-02-2023, 10:45 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]He signed a lot more players than those on show and named. I would say he signed as many misses as he did hits. That ratio isn't good enough for any professional manager, it's the same as flipping a coin.

The Tyler Walker signing will always stand out in the memory. The talk is Cowley chose loaning him over signing two perms, and used the same amount of budget to do it.

Tyler Walker was a terrible signing and we’ve had a few but he’s up there with the worst big money (by our standards at the time) we’ve ever had
Tyler walker's wiki entry:
Walker is a pacey and athletic forward.[59] Danny Cowley nicknamed him "the Ghost" for his ability to appear from nowhere to score a goal.[57] He is a natural finisher, however his work-rate has been criticised.[57]

Sums up Cowley and Walker.
(06-02-2023, 11:30 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Bearing in mind financial constraints, with none or two exceptions, Cowley made some excellent signings. It's just a shame he didn't know how to make the best of them! Overall Richard Hughes is doing pretty well but I'm not one of those that fancies a virtual rebuild every year prior to the new campaign. We need to focus on back room staff to avoid the number of injuries and the ridiculously long recovery periods.

One or two exceptions?! There was a lot more than that. It was how he used his budget not what the budget was.
(06-02-2023, 12:36 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2023, 11:30 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

Scarlett's a strange one.  I don't remember anyone complaining about him when he scored a couple of excellent goals against Peterborough in early September.  I think most thought we'd hit the jackpot with him, though I stand to be corrected.

That was September, his last league goals.  He’s either not suited to L1 football or isn’t very good. If Spurs rated him as highly as they say then he wouldn’t be at Pompey.
Young players blow hot and cold. They are going to have good games but aren't going to be able to sustain it. Then If they do, they get called back in Jan anyway.
(06-02-2023, 04:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Young players blow hot and cold. They are going to have good games but aren't going to be able to sustain it. Then If they do, they get called back in Jan anyway.

He’s been blowing frosty since September!
Scarlett is basically cover for Bishop at this stage.

Proved two games ago that left or right of a three doesn't suit him.

If Pigott hadn't been so much of a flop, we would probably have returned him.
(06-02-2023, 04:07 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2023, 04:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Young players blow hot and cold. They are going to have good games but aren't going to be able to sustain it. Then If they do, they get called back in Jan anyway.

He’s been blowing frosty since September!

Lucky Frosty
I think Cowleys permanent signings were pretty good when fit to play.
His loans were expensive and not particularly good apart from one of the goalkeepers and a stirker for half a season.
The worst problem was that he could not get the best out of them past their first few games (Koroma for instance)
Which is maybe why they were available as loans in the first place.
(06-02-2023, 08:11 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I think Cowleys permanent signings were pretty good when fit to play.
His loans were expensive and not particularly good apart from one of the goalkeepers and a stirker for half a season.
The worst problem was that he could not get the best out of them past their first few games (Koroma for instance)

I can't think of any really bad permanent signings that Cowley made.  Hume hasn't done much yet, but you can see he at least has some potential if he can get past his injury problems, which are basically bad luck given he had no history of injuries. . 

Lots (but not all) of his loans flopped, which is of course why they were available for loan, but I'd far rather he brought them in as loans rather than signed them permanently.
Pages: 1 2