TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cullen agrees with what we all knew already
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-02-2023, 05:24 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...rs-4016197

The owners said it in the summer, they said they told Danny to move away from loans. Danny thinks using them is the best method.
But these players improve our own players apparently.
A try before you buy is fine.
But spending our highest wages on inexperienced youngsters who fail to settle and go off home to mummy is particularly poor.
Very glad to hear of the change in direction and that it has been confirmed.

Hopefully that means we own our own no 1 goalkeeper by August.
(06-02-2023, 06:36 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2023, 05:24 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...rs-4016197

The owners said it in the summer, they said they told Danny to move away from loans. Danny thinks using them is the best method.

In the short-term he's probably right as the calibre of loan player he wanted we couldn't afford to buy.

This all goes back to the academy & lack of structure there as we arehardly producing any players for the 1st team.

Cullen needs to address that first.

Also, on most loan players e.g.Scarlett we are only paying a small percentage of their wages.
as regards young players
We have bought in some very good cast offs who can definitely grown into more than decent players for us for very little money.
The academy has been reset and hopefully as those develop we will have a reserve/U23 set by the time they need it.
"No shit, Sherlock"
- Alex Bass
(06-02-2023, 08:09 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

In the short-term he's probably right as the calibre of loan player he wanted we couldn't afford to buy.

This all goes back to the academy & lack of structure there as we arehardly producing any players for the 1st team.

Also, on most loan players e.g.Scarlett we are only paying a small percentage of their wages.

The calibre of loan player? Koroma? Scarlett? Walker? Dale? Griffiths? We wouldn’t want to buy them!

It doesn’t go back to the academy, Hughes has already shown the quality we can get in younger players. Any decent kids in the area will go to Chelsea, Scum and Brighton.

It’s not a small % we pay and we also have to pay a loan fee.  We could have signed 2 players for the cost of Walker.
Cullen states that we are spending a very large proportion of our playing budget on the loans.
I really like that with the Cowleys gone that is going to stop.
I was not sure about Hughes role but so far signings made based on his research seem pretty good and good value too.
Great news! "Stop the Loans".
The Tyler Walker costs fucked him off as well then. Good.
(06-02-2023, 08:34 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

The calibre of loan player? Koroma? Scarlett? Walker? Dale? Griffiths? We wouldn’t want to buy them!

It doesn’t go back to the academy, Hughes has already shown the quality we can get in younger players. Any decent kids in the area will go to Chelsea, Scum and Brighton.

It’s not a small % we pay and we also have to pay a loan fee.  We could have signed 2 players for the cost of Walker.

Hirst, Carter, possibly Azeez but hardly played. Scarlett is still very young with lots of potential. Div 1 is a very physical
Division. Reportedly on £12K/week. Can't see Pompey paying more than £3K so Spurs paying the rest. 
Hughes doing a good job in the short -term but we need a decent level academy moving forwards.
The club is still work in progress. The ground still too small capacity, 1st team needs gelling with new manager, good level academy. It's going to take probably 2-3 years to sort out.
(07-02-2023, 10:40 AM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2023, 08:34 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hirst, Carter, possibly Azeez but hardly played. Scarlett is still very young with lots of potential. Div 1 is a very physical
Division. Reportedly on £12K/week. Can't see Pompey paying more than £3K so Spurs paying the rest. 
Hughes doing a good job in the short -term but we need a decent level academy moving forwards.
The club is still work in progress. The ground still too small capacity, 1st team needs gelling with new manager, good level academy. It's going to take probably 2-3 years to sort out.

But Scarlett isn’t on loan for 5 years, you don’t sign potential on loan.  Hirst had 5 good months, why did Azeez hardly play?! Because he wasn’t good enough.

£3k isn’t a small % of £12k its 25% and it’s not the % that matters its the £ and £3k is too much for a player that doesn’t do anything when he does get a game. It’s a total waste.
I would still maintain that it is very difficult to get a decent striker on loan. If they’re any good, the parent club is going to keep them, end of.

Hiring potential, is fraught with difficulties. We don’t need potential, we need a player who can do it now.
I'd rather take the likes of Walker, Scarlett & Piggott on loan to see what they are like than sign them on expensive contracts that you cannot get out of.
(07-02-2023, 12:29 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I would still maintain that it is very difficult to get a decent striker on loan. If they’re any good, the parent club is going to keep them, end of.

Hiring potential, is fraught with difficulties. We don’t need potential, we need a player who can do it now.

+1
(07-02-2023, 01:44 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather take the likes of Walker, Scarlett & Piggott on loan to see what they are like than sign them on expensive contracts that you cannot get out of.

And waste a considerable sum on wages for @ least 2 of the 3 being very ineffectual. 
Rather sign a permanent striker myself. We've been burned badly with loanees in the past. @ the end of the day they are not our players. Its a false economy imvho.
Ozzy Osbourne knew

Mr Cowley.... what went on in your head?
(07-02-2023, 01:44 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather take the likes of Walker, Scarlett & Piggott on loan to see what they are like than sign them on expensive contracts that you cannot get out of.

However, Walker and Scarlett were/are out of our financial reach.
(07-02-2023, 03:41 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]

However, Walker and Scarlett were/are out of our financial reach.

Yep, just a mess.
Walker is probably well within our reach now.
(07-02-2023, 04:35 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Walker is probably well within our reach now.

11 games 0 goals this season.

Danny will get him on loan next season if he manages to get a job.
Cowley liked the loans I’m pretty sure Cullen said last year he didn’t want to use so many loans. Macey looks like a decent incoming though if he continues to impress I’d like him signed up and Bernard is exactly what we need from a loan a impact straight away
Loans ugh! Although Macey is good, I would have preferred grooming Oluwayemi to bringing in Macey. Would prefer Reeco on the right to Dale. Would prefer Hume or Freeman (if fit) to Bernard at right back - the bloke looked like he'd never played at right back - he was constantly out of position and looked like a schoolboy when he took a throw-in - thank goodness for Raggett. I like Pigott though, when he gets an opportunity. And I think we are all disappointed with Scarlett. Roll on next season.
Oluwayemi is on a one year contract, so no different from a loan with an option to buy really. Hopefully Macey is a potential permanent signing in the summer.  Luton reportedly only paid £100k for him so I don't see why he should cost any more than that.
Pages: 1 2 3