TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The conundrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given Bernard’s very good performance on Saturday…

Swanson, Rafferty, Robertson and Bernard, all competing for a place in defence…

Who plays and where?

We suddenly seem to, potentially,  have very good cover for right back but Bernard was supposed to be a central defender, wasn’t he?
First choice RB has to be Rafferty. He'll need some time to get back up to speed though. Next in line has to be Swanson. He is our own player afterall and this is another (sigh) transition season.

Robertson is made out of tissues and toothpicks. Can't rely on him to be fit. Back 4 should be: Rafferty Raggs Towler Ogilvie

Reserves should be: Swanson, Robertson, Bernard, that Sunderland bloke who is always injured.
If everyone was fit my back 4 would be Rafferty, Bernard, Towler Ogilvie
(06-02-2023, 06:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]If everyone was fit my back 4 would be Rafferty, Bernard, Towler Ogilvie

Bernard was OK at full back, no more than that.

I would want to see him actually playing in the middle of the back line before making up my mind.

Raggers was doing most of the necessary dirty work on Saturday and pulled off a couple of great blocks.

Defending is not all about being elegant on the ball, a fact that seems to elude a lot of you.
(06-02-2023, 05:48 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Given Bernard’s very good performance on Saturday…

Swanson, Rafferty, Robertson and Bernard, all competing for a place in defence…

Who plays and where?

We suddenly seem to, potentially,  have very good cover for right back but Bernard was supposed to be a central defender, wasn’t he?

I thought, apart from a brief spurt going forward in the second half, that Bernard was quite poor. He was easily beaten on a number of occasions and didn't look like he'd played in the championship. Its been pointed out that he was been played out of position so that, and being his first game in ages, would explain things. 

Not dissing the bloke but playing anyone out of his preferred position is always a big compromise.
With only two fit centre halves we need one on the bench really not at right back.
Bernard is going to make Raggers earn his keep now
(06-02-2023, 08:54 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Bernard is going to make Raggers earn his keep now

good to have pressure on all first teamers

although best not to keep changing the back two whoever is picked as the best two
(06-02-2023, 08:03 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]With only two fit centre halves we need one on the bench really not at right back.

We’ve got four fit centre halves now. One of them does a bloody good job at left back too.
And there we have it - a few weeks ago down to Harrys BB's now almost an embarrassment of choice.

Much better place for us to be in, and midfield is going that way also if everyone stays fit!
MYRSDADAE

- a fantasy in the sun.
I don’t want us to go three/five at the back but he makes it perfect
Swanson-Bernard-raggett-towler-Ogilve

Not raggetts biggest fan but done well under the new boss!
And under the last two too
Back 3 weakens the rest of the team IMO. Morrell and Pack look far better in a midfield 3, and with 3 up top the wingers are already further up the pitch and closer to the striker.