TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Another Mediocre Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We started off so well playing 4-3-3 then picked up a few injuries & the wheels started coming off & No Plan B it seemed.
DC eventually realised we had a couple of capable Wing Backs so changed formation to incorporate so a bit of 3-5-2 then more injuries so 4-4-2. Back to 4-3-3 again now ( so many changes may have got the order wrong! ).

A lot of the problem I believe goes back to the Summer transfer window where we only managed to scrape over the line one decent permanent signing Bishop & that was by the skin of our teeth! We missed out to Wycombe, Shrewsbury & Stockport for 3 new signings. All clubs who we should be head & shoulders above but were unable to offer the same or better terms it seems. We then end up with just loans who generally turned out to be no good & on high wages.

I don't see any glimmer of reaching the play offs now but hopefully we can pick up a few points to avoid relegation. In the Summer the D.O.F. along with the CEO need to identify some decent permanent signings so we end up with higher quality & quantity to allow for injuries. We must push for the automatic Promotion next season with a decent playing budget otherwise I can foresee a lot of disullusioned season ticket holders Not renewing in protest.
At best we are stuck in this league for many years with these owners. We are far more likely to go down to league 2 than the championship anytime soon.

We certainly won't be getting 18,000 plus crowds much longer if things do not improve.

Next season more of the same. A novice coach, awful players like Raggett here still. Loans too. The philosophy of bringing in youngsters to develop is an excuse not to spend on the squad. Certainly mid table or lower again, with our average crowd having dropped to around 14,000 to 15,000.

Fans have had enough. Apathy has set in. 

The club is dying under these owners.
Pompey till I die.
(12-02-2023, 08:20 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]We started off so well playing 4-3-3 then picked up a few injuries & the wheels started coming off & No Plan B it seemed.
DC eventually realised we had a couple of capable Wing Backs so changed formation to incorporate so a bit of 3-5-2 then more injuries so 4-4-2. Back to 4-3-3 again now ( so many changes may have got the order wrong! ).

A lot of the problem I believe goes back to the Summer transfer window where we only managed to scrape over the line one decent permanent signing Bishop & that was by the skin of our teeth! We missed out to Wycombe, Shrewsbury & Stockport for 3 new signings. All clubs who we should be head & shoulders above but were unable to offer the same or better terms it seems. We then end up with just loans who generally turned out to be no good & on high wages.

I don't see any glimmer of reaching the play offs now but hopefully we can pick up a few points to avoid relegation. In the Summer the D.O.F. along with the CEO need to identify some decent permanent signings so we end up with higher quality & quantity to allow for injuries. We must push for the automatic Promotion next season with a decent playing budget otherwise I can foresee a lot of disullusioned season ticket holders Not renewing in protest.

How do you know who we missed out on? Rumors?

The CEO won’t be identifying targets, he’s not involved in scouting ffs.
Why are there so many miserable old gits on this forum? 13 years ago (arguably more) we began the slide almost to obscurity, and since then having (just by the skin of our teeth) survived we are now clawing our way back up. As many others have said on this forum, the currently owners are doing exactly what they said they would do, steady build of the infrastructure and team but not throw stupid money at it. In reality we are not a Premiership club, but we probably mostly believe we should be a mid-table Championship club. We've had some pretty awful football at FP these last 13 years, but some good times too (just not enough of them). Yesterday we played mostly OK and we had 7 potential first-teamers out injured. The players have got their mojo back, though probably too late for this season. we have an inexperienced manager who by the sound of his interviews is learning and growing all the time and is doing as well already as KJ & DC. That'll do for me, until next season. OK it's the hope that kills us, but 'twas ever thus being Pompey.
(12-02-2023, 08:35 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]At best we are stuck in this league for many years with these owners. We are far more likely to go down to league 2 than the championship anytime soon.

We certainly won't be getting 18,000 plus crowds much longer if things do not improve.

Next season more of the same. A novice coach, awful players like Raggett here still. Loans too. The philosophy of bringing in youngsters to develop is an excuse not to spend on the squad. Certainly mid table or lower again, with our average crowd having dropped to around 14,000 to 15,000.

Lol
Blue Army, were you better than Raggett?
(12-02-2023, 09:13 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Why are there so many miserable old gits on this forum? 13 years ago (arguably more) we began the slide almost to obscurity, and since then having (just by the skin of our teeth) survived we are now clawing our way back up. As many others have said on this forum, the currently owners are doing exactly what they said they would do, steady build of the infrastructure and team but not throw stupid money at it. In reality we are not a Premiership club, but we probably mostly believe we should be a mid-table Championship club. We've had some pretty awful football at FP these last 13 years, but some good times too (just not enough of them). Yesterday we played mostly OK and we had 7 potential first-teamers out injured. The players have got their mojo back, though probably too late for this season. we have an inexperienced manager who by the sound of his interviews is learning and growing all the time and is doing as well already as KJ & DC. That'll do for me, until next season. OK it's the hope that kills us, but 'twas ever thus being Pompey.

I can't speak for anyone else but what really pisses me off is that our owners know next to nothing about football and in their time as owners have learnt fuck all. We continually make the same mistakes appointing management across the footballing side of the business. 

You could make a solid argument that every single replacement that has come through the door is worse than when they took over the club, right the way from the CEO, the academy, coaching staff and players. All downgrades on what was previously there.

We see traditionally smaller teams than us sail on by on their way to the championship and we are stuck here watching shit football with a manager who has zero managerial experience. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall with that appointment: We had a vastly experienced manager in Kenny but the weight of expectation was too much even for him, so lwe thought the best replacement would be to get the Cowleys in, who have next to no league 1 experience. That didn't work so let's get someone in with genuinely no experience. That'll do nicely.

I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't absolutely fucking livid with the state of the playing staff.
We’ve just been beaten by, probably, the best team in the league and we played well enough to give them a scare.

I’m not livid. I’m a bit annoyed by Pack, for the third goal, but I quite enjoyed most if the game.
Where did this sense of entitlement come from?
Since I've been going we've probably had about 5 good teams and a good season about one in five too.
Probably about due but there is no right to it.
(12-02-2023, 09:13 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Why are there so many miserable old gits on this forum? 13 years ago (arguably more) we began the slide almost to obscurity, and since then having (just by the skin of our teeth) survived we are now clawing our way back up. As many others have said on this forum, the currently owners are doing exactly what they said they would do, steady build of the infrastructure and team but not throw stupid money at it. In reality we are not a Premiership club, but we probably mostly believe we should be a mid-table Championship club. We've had some pretty awful football at FP these last 13 years, but some good times too (just not enough of them). Yesterday we played mostly OK and we had 7 potential first-teamers out injured. The players have got their mojo back, though probably too late for this season. we have an inexperienced manager who by the sound of his interviews is learning and growing all the time and is doing as well already as KJ & DC. That'll do for me, until next season. OK it's the hope that kills us, but 'twas ever thus being Pompey.

And here lies the problem all the time we have supporters prepared to accept mediocrity. Football is pretty immediate and in the here and now. You said it yourself, 13 years of awful football mostly. Glad you're happy with that. BTW Plymouth haven't spent stupid money, and they're top. Streets ahead of us. Bolton were in admin a few years ago, now flying. Stop making fucking excuses for the owners. I'm not asking them to spend big, just spend smart.
“Spend smart” , FFS! Just because we have yank owners, we don’t have to use their ridiculous language.

I think they are spending the money in exactly the right area, the infrastructure. The fortunes of the team will always rise and fall but we nearly had Fratton Park doing the latter.

Plymouth were flying a few years ago too but then rapidly declined. Such is football. Good luck to them and us, we will have our day. Scummers had theirs, when they spent “smart”. Fancy changing places with them?
(12-02-2023, 08:35 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]At best we are stuck in this league for many years with these owners. We are far more likely to go down to league 2 than the championship anytime soon.

Start going to the games and write better posts
(13-02-2023, 08:59 AM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]

And here lies the problem all the time we have supporters prepared to accept mediocrity. Football is pretty immediate and in the here and now. You said it yourself, 13 years of awful football mostly. Glad you're happy with that. BTW Plymouth haven't spent stupid money, and they're top. Streets ahead of us. Bolton were in admin a few years ago, now flying. Stop making fucking excuses for the owners. I'm not asking them to spend big, just spend smart.

That’s what they are trying to do isn’t it? You not happy with Towler and Lane?
(12-02-2023, 10:44 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Blue Army, were you better than Raggett?

Blue Army was a striker - 300+ games for lower league clubs, 100 plus goals.
Why can’t we know his name? Lives in South Africa and travels over for games? Offers his house out to anyone who fancies a few weeks in South Africa. Its all so implausible
Must be Roy of the Rovers or perhaps billy's boots.
(13-02-2023, 03:55 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Why can’t we know his name? Lives in South Africa and travels over for games? Offers his house out to anyone who fancies a few weeks in South Africa. Its all so implausible

There's also a property in Atlanta, not sure where though because every time I ask he just ignores me.
Does he not have a working knowledge of young Venezuelan footballers, too?

Deebo

Nowadays he doubles as a bookie’s runner giving out duff betting tips to gullible starstruck twats with a meagre pension burning a hole in their pockets.
(13-02-2023, 12:42 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes. Only taken 6 and a half years.
(13-02-2023, 05:22 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-02-2023, 12:42 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes. Only taken 6 and a half years.

I'd rather have Whatmough and Burgess. Never properly replaced, were they.
I see Jack scored on satdee.
Wonder if his goal celebration was as good as his first. Might see him here again next year, not in a blue shirt though.
(13-02-2023, 03:55 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Why can’t we know his name? Lives in South Africa and travels over for games? Offers his house out to anyone who fancies a few weeks in South Africa. Its all so implausible

If you dim witted keyboard warriors knew anything about football & bothered to follow all the clues Blue Army has given it isn't that diffiicult to work out who he is. 

He doesn't live in South Africa all the time, he has relations & property out there. I have no doubt he also has a property in Atlanta - he was in the property renovation business before his football career & obviously went back to it when he retired from professional football.

p.s. Dimbo (burger flipper no 3)  I'm doing fine on the state pension, my private pension & other investments  - so I can definitely afford a little flutter here & there & I'm doing quite nicely on them as well  - thanks for asking.
Pages: 1 2 3