TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Dicky Davies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RIP
A big part of Saturday afternoons back in the day. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la...e-64700358
RIP ineed.

But World of Sport was generally shite, horse racing and 'wrestling' iirc!
Used to enjoy the early Saturday evening wrestling watching it at my nans.
(20-02-2023, 09:46 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Used to enjoy the early Saturday evening wrestling watching it at my nans.

Yes RIP indeed.

Apparently he used to call himself Richard Davies but Jimmy Hill suggested using Dicky instead.

Benny Hill did a very funny sketch of World of Sport.

I think Dicky Davies did a great job bearing in mind the sparse fare he had to present, the BBC had the rights to all the decent stuff back then.
(20-02-2023, 09:46 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Used to enjoy the early Saturday evening wrestling watching it at my nans.

There were plenty of us grapple fans back then.
(20-02-2023, 11:24 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

watching wrestilng with your nan, that is certainly familar! 
That and watching England lose in the 6 Nations (on the Beeb of course)
No Italy in those days
(20-02-2023, 07:13 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]No Italy in those days

ooops!
mind you England could have probably lost to them as well
Very true
(20-02-2023, 06:34 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

watching wrestilng with your nan, that is certainly familar! 
That and watching England lose in the 6 Nations (on the Beeb of course)

Yes, and another 'Dickie' - Dickie Jeeps (scrum half)

Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Steve Logan, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Then watch the footie results, different days then in so many ways
(21-02-2023, 01:45 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]

Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Steve Logan, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Then watch the footie results, different days then in so many ways

Followed by decent Dr. Who, the Generation Game, the Two Ronnie's/Dick Emery/Mike Yarwood and then Kojak. And the BBC wonder why nobody watches them these days.
Did you notice how many quizzes are in that list? and only one game show
Only Dr Who still going and that's pants now....
(21-02-2023, 02:09 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

Followed by decent Dr. Who, the Generation Game, the Two Ronnie's/Dick Emery/Mike Yarwood and then Kojak. And the BBC wonder why nobody watches them these days.

All excellent programmes in their own right. Followed by Match of the Day.. without the excruciating, self-loving Lineker... just Jimmy 'the chin' Hill... no bullshit punditry, no computer graphic analysis, no VAR... just, erm, football. Simple really.
(21-02-2023, 10:24 PM)pushbike_pete_PFC Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-02-2023, 02:09 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

All excellent programmes in their own right. Followed by Match of the Day.. without the excruciating, self-loving Lineker... just Jimmy 'the chin' Hill... no bullshit punditry, no computer graphic analysis, no VAR... just, erm, football. Simple really.

now that's odd, just watching the detectorists as the two main characters are scratching and pulling their chins at the opposition pair!

Add to those wrestlers: Johnny Kwango (headbutts missing by 6 inches), The Royal Brothers, Kendo Nagasaki, Les Kellett. My mum was a big fan
Mick McManus, 'Dirty' Jack Pie(Pye?), Johnny two Rivers.?( the guy that wrestled as a Red Indian/Native American).
He used to run the Globe Inn pub in Andover ( I live there ). Also, if I remember correctly he then run another pub in the Middle Wallop area. Would serve behind the bar most nights. I also went to college with his twin sons, descent lads. I was in the college rugby team with one of them, Danny was his name.
Now John Motson has died too. He was one of the very best commentators, in my opinion.