TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Motty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The final whistle has blown for him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/202...es-aged-77
Great man. Very sad.
A sad day indeed. Great commentator who loved his stats but most of all clearly loved the game
One of the best with Brian Moore , Barry davis , Tony gubba , Gerald sinstadt and so on . Unlike the crap commentators of today
Yep back in the day when commentators had do proper research for stats etc before a game, unlike now when it's all just a click away on google.
I have to admit I found Motty's style quite annoying, expecially in the later years when he seemed to me to become a caricature of himself. 

But he deserves all the accolades he got for his brilliant commentary on the day of Hillsborough disaster.
I have to admit I found Motty's style quite annoying, expecially in the later years when he seemed to me to become a caricature of himself. 

But he deserves all the accolades he got for his brilliant commentary on the day of Hillsborough disaster.
(23-02-2023, 03:05 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the best with Brian Moore , Barry davis , Tony gubba , Gerald sinstadt and so on . Unlike the crap commentators of today

It wasn't all better in the past - it was a great day when Alan Green got pensioned off. John Murray's not crap and Ian Dennis with Clinton Morrison are a great combo.

Sam Matterface though, is fucking dreadful.
(23-02-2023, 04:06 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-02-2023, 03:05 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the best with Brian Moore , Barry davis , Tony gubba , Gerald sinstadt and so on . Unlike the crap commentators of today

It wasn't all better in the past - it was a great day when Alan Green got pensioned off. John Murray's not crap and Ian Dennis with Clinton Morrison are a great combo.

Sam Matterface though, is fucking dreadful.

Morrison- no way . Irritating gangsta accent . No thanks
I'd take Clinton over Dion Dublin, Ray Houghton or Stan Collymore every day of the week.
The voice of football for me growing up.
Shame that him and all the great football then have been whitewashed out of existence by Sky and the current crop of sycophantic commentators and the rest.
And Portsmouth think they've scored.

That would be because they have, John.
Hate all commentators and their brainless sidekicks. Best way to watch TV football is on mute.
Sitting in a sunlit pasture, tallking football, with his sheepskin coat hanging on a nearby branch ..... RIP
very sad.
What a memory he had.
(23-02-2023, 03:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I have to admit I found Motty's style quite annoying, expecially in the later years when he seemed to me to become a caricature of himself. 

"Brady won it beautifully. Look at that.......oooh look at that!! What a goal by Brady.... a marvellous goal designed for the big occasion and taken with all the aplomb of a great player"

Brilliant, vintage Motson and wonderful prose. Still my favourite Motty moment.  

However, he became a more obsessed in later years of trying to cram in unnecessary facts and pre prepared headliners,  (the crazy gang have beaten the culture club being the stand out one) which for me is the biggest curse of modern commentators.   Agreed on the accolades he got for Hillsborough too.
Commentators throw in so many stats these days it gets boring and has nothing to do with the actual play. Bit of a spreadsheet mentality I guess and a sign of lazy journalism.
When they start talking about xG and xA, they're a lost cause.
(24-02-2023, 12:38 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]When they start talking about xG and xA, they're a lost cause.

Makes me think of Danny Cowley Tuffs.  RIP Motty
Even sadder when you think the BBC has gone from John Motson to screaming schoolgirls.