TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The midfield conundrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lowery, Mingi, Pack, Thompson (arguably just about there already)

All fit again, who would you choose to put in and for who?

With Tunnicliffe getting better and better, Morrell absolutely covering every blade of grass and powering forward at every opportunity, Jacobs offering something, at least for 45, who gives way?

Pack can do it but doesn’t seem that bothered (certainly not captain material).

Lowery is absolute class.

Mingi is so powerful when he drives forward.

Thompson is so solid.

Riches for next season.
Pack doesn’t have the legs morrell has. A player I’d love next season would be Brannagan out of contract at Oxford if we got him in pack doesn’t get in the team for me.
(26-02-2023, 08:12 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Lowery, Mingi, Pack, Thompson (arguably just about there already)

With Tunnicliffe getting better and better, Morrell absolutely covering every blade of grass and powering forward at every opportunity, Jacobs offering something, at least for 45, who gives way?

Thompson is so solid.

Riches for next season.

Why the obsession with krappykliffe? Against really poor opposition, krappikliffe sometimes plays well. Yesterday reminded me of the last time he turned up which opening game of the season last year when he beat. Crewe Paraplegics 2-0. Against meaningful opposition everything he does is sideways and backwards because he needs so much time to make a decision.

I think Morrell is finally showing signs of why he plays international football but again let's see what happens against Sheffield Wednesday etc.

Our midfield is a big reason why we have done so poorly this season. They are usually too slow and too predictable. Mousinho is at least getting them to work harder. 

Easier said than done but get a couple of wingers that can cross the ball and a midfield that doesn't get injured so often.

Enjoyed the game yesterday but the reason we are 15 points behind the playoffs will be more obvious on Tuesday night.
(26-02-2023, 08:32 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-02-2023, 08:12 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Lowery, Mingi, Pack, Thompson (arguably just about there already)

Thompson is so solid.

Riches for next season.

Why the obsession with krappykliffe? Against really poor opposition, krappikliffe sometimes plays well. Yesterday reminded me of the last time he turned up which opening game of the season last year when he beat. Crewe Paraplegics 2-0. Against meaningful opposition everything he does is sideways and backwards because he needs so much time to make a decision.

I think Morrell is finally showing signs of why he plays international football but again let's see what happens against Sheffield Wednesday etc.

Our midfield is a big reason why we have done so poorly this season. They are usually too slow and too predictable. Mousinho is at least getting them to work harder. 

Easier said than done but get a couple of wingers that can cross the ball and a midfield that doesn't get injured so often.

Enjoyed the game yesterday but the reason we are 15 points behind the playoffs will be more obvious on Tuesday night.
Obsession? I was quite happy to see him go, up until recently.
He’s playing well and your seeming assessment of him is against the bulk of opinion.

It’s all about opinions on message boards. It’s all about performances on the pitch. Tunnicliffe is doing the business where it counts and it’s proving to be an extended period of doing so.
Depends on the formation. If it’s 4231 then I’d try Morrell and Lowery in the midfield 2 , although height would a worry . In a 433 I’d go with Morrell Lowery and Tunnicliffe. Although before Packs injury/ drop in form I’d have Pack and Lowery
With the play offs out of reach, I would have thought it is time to start getting contracts signed to start the squad for next season.
Thompson seems first to get signed up on the list for me.
Then Curtis/Jacobs To keep or to let go? As they are good performers properly used at this level. One can be great and is pretty much always fit, the other can be even better but only expect 20 games a season realistically.
Dale we are doing a good job of getting him first team ready for Blackpool.
For me it's very plain and simple. We play the players who are going to be here next season, we need to hit the ground running, so lets get some momentum started this season.

If they are signed up or look like they will do, get them into the team.

But whatever we do, please don't play 433 it's to defensive.... We have a good keeper at the moment and the defence looks strong... So lets make other teams worry about us for a change.

It was men vs boys yesterday, but with 4 more attack minded players on the pitch we are getting numbers into the box.
I don't think Tunnicliffe will be here next season, he had offers to go abroad last summer and I think he will go. 

In the favoured 433 formation our midfield three, if all fit, should be Lowery, Pack & Morrell IMO with Thompson, Mingi & Jewitt-White coming off the bench.  In Cowley speak that would be a 6 and two 8s . 

In a 4231 I'd have Pack & Morrell as the two, with Lowery as the middle of the three.
I'm not sure Lowery is a No 10.
(26-02-2023, 10:36 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Tunnicliffe will be here next season, he had offers to go abroad last summer and I think he will go. 

In the favoured 433 formation our midfield three, if all fit, should be Lowery, Pack & Morrell IMO with Thompson, Mingi & Jewitt-White coming off the bench.  In Cowley speak that would be a 6 and two 8s . 

In a 4231 I'd have Pack & Morrell as the two, with Lowery as the middle of the three.

Is Mingi likely to be here either? I'd be happy enough if he is, but for various reasons he's not become an integral part of the team, and as someone said, if he or others are not committing themselves to us, maybe we should overlook them for the remaining games.
(26-02-2023, 11:06 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure Lowery is a No 10.

He's Not! Jacobs is & Pack as back up.
(26-02-2023, 02:53 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-02-2023, 11:06 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure Lowery is a No 10.

He's Not! Jacobs is & Pack as back up.

Lowery played there for Crewe , so could do so here. His strength is playing killer through balls and playing them quickly and he is better the further forward he plays.  I'd rather see him there than Lane, who Mousinho has favoured there so far, which would allow Lane to replace Dale on the right. 

Jacobs is indeed  a good no 10 but will almost certainly not be here next season, and we are talking about next season. 

Pack is a defensive midfield player .... never a no 10 in a month of sundays.
Must admit I can't my head around JoMo playing Lane in the 10 role, he's a winger
Pack shouldn't start based on the weekend.
(28-02-2023, 11:39 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]Pack shouldn't start based on the weekend.

Bit harsh ... he didn't even play !
(28-02-2023, 11:41 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2023, 11:39 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]Pack shouldn't start based on the weekend.

That's what I'm alluding too.

Midifeld was excellent on the weekend - I wouldn't want to change it.
(28-02-2023, 11:50 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]

That's what I'm alluding too.

Midifeld was excellent on the weekend - I wouldn't want to change it.

With lowery coming back a midfield 3 of lowery, morrell and tunni would be decent lots of work rate!

It could be said that’s true, even when he’s on the pitch.
IMO Pack started the season very well, then had a few bad games as many did to be fair. He started playing better recently but then got injured. He's also scored two crackers.
Hammie, TOTALLY agree with your shout for THOMO - then Morrell.
(28-02-2023, 02:08 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]IMO Pack started the season very well, then had a few bad games as many did to be fair. He started playing better recently but then got injured. He's also scored two crackers.

He's a funny one.

He did start well and has scored a couple of wicked goals but I'm not totally sure where he fits in.

I think we might be better with him out of the first 11.

Might be wrong, of course.
(28-02-2023, 03:15 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2023, 02:08 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]IMO Pack started the season very well, then had a few bad games as many did to be fair. He started playing better recently but then got injured. He's also scored two crackers.

He's a funny one.

He did start well and has scored a couple of wicked goals but I'm not totally sure where he fits in.

Disagree. 

On form he is by far the best defensive midfielder at the club (if not in the division).  The fact the whole team under-performs when he under-performs occasionally just proves how important he is to the team. 

Yes, Morrell can do that job too but for me he is much better further forward where his speed of thought is more dangerous to the opposition.  Morrell lacks Pack free-kick ability too. Not to mention his throw-ins.  And his long passes. 

Next season we should make Pack captain and have a midfield three of him sitting behind Morrell & Lowery.
(28-02-2023, 03:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2023, 03:15 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]

He's a funny one.

Disagree. 

On form he is by far the best defensive midfielder at the club (if not in the division).  The fact the whole team under-performs when he under-performs occasionally just proves how important he is to the team. 

Yes, Morrell can do that job too but for me he is much better further forward where his speed of thought is more dangerous to the opposition.  Morrell lacks Pack free-kick ability too. Not to mention his throw-ins.  And his long passes. 

Next season we should make Pack captain and have a midfield three of him sitting behind Morrell & Lowery.
Pack isn’t a captain, by nature. He demonstrated that fully, in his last game. As to his long throws, a long looping throw into the box has produced nothing but an easy catch for the opposition keeper.
Bump. Lowery showed in half an hour how we’ve missed him. It’s plain to see that our great start to the season was abruptly cut short when he and Rafferty got injured. It’s gonna be hard keeping the midfield happy when all are fit for selection. Tunnicliffe has looked like a new player since Cowley left although another couple of carp shots yesterday showed us why I think he’d be down the pecking order. He even managed an air shot with one of them. Thompson adds steel and has showed he can shoot. Ditto Pack who despite a slump in from mid season probably deserves a place. Morrell since the World Cup has been class (doesn’t speak too well of his commitment) and must be in there. Mingi is young and learning but looks a real talent. Jacobs shows flashes but is too inconsistent imo. Then there’s the young lad Jewett White (is that his name?) who is highly regarded. As Cunni says, a real conundrum and bodes well for next year although I don’t think Tunni or Jacobs will still be here. Pick three from Morrell, Lowery, Pack, Thompson and Mingi. Use the subs well to keep them happy. PUP
(05-03-2023, 05:48 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Bump. Lowery showed in half an hour how we’ve missed him. It’s plain to see that our great start to the season was abruptly cut short when he and Rafferty got injured. It’s gonna be hard keeping the midfield happy when all are fit for selection. Tunnicliffe has looked like a new player since Cowley left although another couple of carp shots yesterday showed us why I think he’d be down the pecking order. He even managed an air shot with one of them. Thompson adds steel and has showed he can shoot. Ditto Pack who despite a slump in from mid season probably deserves a place. Morrell since the World Cup has been class (doesn’t speak too well of his commitment) and must be in there. Mingi is young and learning but looks a real talent. Jacobs shows flashes but is too inconsistent imo. Then there’s the young lad Jewett White (is that his name?) who is highly regarded. As Cunni says, a real conundrum and bodes well for next year although I don’t think Tunni or Jacobs will still be here. Pick three from Morrell, Lowery, Pack, Thompson and Mingi. Use the subs well to keep them happy. PUP

If you keep winning no one can moan same as defence with Bernard I had him coming in for raggett.

Midfield 3 has morrell and lowery in Just depending on who we play regarding Thompson or tunni.
Pages: 1 2