TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Step back and admire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think it is time for us all to just step back and appraise the very remarkable transformation of our beloved Fratton Park !

Seemingly out of nowhere we have an original, PROPER, football ground transformed with modern facilities, good seats with ample space ( still don't quite know how they managed that) and the Milton end being presented as one of the handful of grounds to boast rail ( all standing) seats. 

I know that this post will draw acrimony from certain quarters - the HUGE sums should have been spent elsewhere .......  but - we should applaud Messrs EISNER big time. 

No great shouting and publicizing just getting on with the job - and what a job ...... and YES just like they said on the tin. 

Realistically, just consider what has been achieved in such a short space of time. We now have a ground fit for the Championship, and I now firmly believe that come the new season the Eisner's concern will turn to the people, in blue,  running onto the green sward ! PUP
Ample space?!!

Me and an old boy both had our legs squeased in tight so we could both fit in our seats!

Certainly not ample unless you are particularly small or a child.
Still can't get hot water in the toilets in the fratton end
Yes they've done well, where I sit the leg room is ample. Having installed the extra seats the crush queue for the bogs under the North Stand at half time is often a nightmare, that varies depending on how many ST's attend or don't attend. Saturday games are worse than evening games for example. The club is aware of it but apart from building a new stand there is nothing they can do.
If you sit in any of the areas that have been remapped, it's fine, plenty of room, unless you're over 8 foot tall.

If you don't, well that Archibald Leich fella is a scummer and it's all the Eisners fault isn't it.
(28-02-2023, 10:14 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Still can't get hot water in the toilets in the fratton end

There was on Saturday. I'm surprised at how often there IS hot water in the Fratton End bogs.
(28-02-2023, 10:14 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Still can't get hot water in the toilets in the fratton end

Yeah, like you go to the football to get hot water in the bogs ffs.

If we are going to reach our ‘net zero’ targets you’ll need to get used to cold water anyway.
Over-privileged GenZ-ers complaining again? - we didn't even have toilets in the 15th Century. Just splash it about in the mud, that's the ModernBritain of today.
I do like our stadium for the most part.

Toilets are an issue.

Acceptable behind Fratton End now but North Stand is the pits when you need to go.

Not sure about South.
And there you have it, a few words of praise and the moaning Minnies come pouring out ! Oh dear.

Last time I went to FP I didn't go for a shower ......

Questiion: after using the Loo at home and ( I hope) rinsing your hands, do you use Hot Water ? / Just soap and cold good enough for that.
.... --- and Tuffers - they obviously didn't visit the Barnsley away end in the Second division days, - peeing on the wall behind and below the away end !!
(28-02-2023, 11:43 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]And there you have it,  a few words of praise and the moaning Minnies come pouring out ! Oh dear.

Questiion:  after using the Loo at home and ( I hope) rinsing your hands, do you use Hot Water  ? / Just soap and cold good enough for that.

You might like to wallow in your own filth but not all of us do.
£11M over 6 years is £1.8M per year. Our turnover is about £12M so that equates to 15% of turnover per year being spent on maintenance. Not bad when the owners bought the club for basically nothing.

Let's see if they actually come through with phase two and do something to expand capacity.

Thay being said, the work done so far looks to be pretty decent and a starting point to get us back to being a big south coast club. Still a long long way to go before we can compete in that sphere again.
Don’t be a feckin drama queen, cold water and soap what’s the problem. Maybe you shouldn’t piss all over your hands.
(28-02-2023, 12:13 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t be a feckin drama queen, cold water and soap what’s the problem. Maybe you shouldn’t piss all over your hands.

I can't help it!

On a serious note, I don't think improving the facilities is too much to ask for.

Things are better, don't get me wrong, but there is still room for improvement.
Sorry Mr Sharpe - do you mean you do actually visit FP for use of the Conveniences ??

And, as for wallowing - no never done that - but watched animals in Kenya enjoying a wallow - and all at the Queen's expense !
(28-02-2023, 12:10 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]£11M over 6 years is £1.8M per year. Our turnover is about £12M so that equates to 15% of turnover per year being spent on maintenance. Not bad when the owners bought the club for basically nothing.

Let's see if they actually come through with phase two and do something to expand capacity.

Thay being said, the work done so far looks to be pretty decent and a starting point to get us back to being a big south coast club. Still a long long way to go before we can compete in that sphere again.

Agreed - things do look a lot smarter.

I've been working at the AMEX stadium and training facility doing maintenance and we are lightyears away from their level.

It would take a long time and a massive amount of money to catch up which the Eisners are never going to pump in - understandably.

Whilst I don't expect to be like them and it would be good to retain some of the charm of Fratton Park which the AMEX doesn't have - it would be nice to have a bigger capacity and general facilities.

Cannot help but feel a little jealous.
(28-02-2023, 11:43 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]And there you have it,  a few words of praise and the moaning Minnies come pouring out ! Oh dear.

Questiion:  after using the Loo at home and ( I hope) rinsing your hands, do you use Hot Water  ? / Just soap and cold good enough for that.

Only at pompey would we celebrate restoring the ground to its existing capacity ten years ago. Its ok but its not an architectural wonder by any means. The South stand lower looks like a temporary seating area whilst the outside of the 'pretend like its real standing' Milton end looks, based on the earlier drawings, like a tacky Disney world exhibit. Can't comment on the insides of North and south as haven't seen first hand but so far the owners have protected their assets from becoming  worthless and in a syrong position to sell when they like it.. Oh and they've made it easier to buy beer everywhere whilst deciding anybody who doesn't use contactless to fuck off. So forgive me if I don't get on my knees and take one from the eisners just now.

It's nice that the ground is safer but it's not a legacy or revenue game changer. The real test is if they expand the ground and whether they will do it as cheaply as the rest. 

Not a member of a coalition etc. Just an opinion.

Ps. And I do miss the floodlights - so much better than the Austin mini headlights/the eyes from the robot in the film 'short circuit' we have now.
Big anniversary next year, the South Stand will be 100 years old.
Trouble with the flat pack grounds is once it's up that's you - same old ..... excepting the alternative seat colour.

At least our treasured home is original and still admired by many.
(28-02-2023, 02:14 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Trouble with the flat pack grounds is once it's up that's you  - same old ..... excepting the alternative seat colour.

At least our treasured home is original and still admired by many.

That's true - and the fact ours isn't is definitely a plus point for the club.

Such a pity we can't just lift the north, south and Milton end to match the height of Fratton End.

I'm guessing structurally it cannot handle it.
So you don’t think it’s a good thing to get back to having a capacity we haven’t achieved in ten years but you do want to go back to the old days when the floodlight pylons took up such a large part of the ground?

The Eisners, apparently, have and are spending millions but the fixtures and fittings still aren’t up to the required standard after you’ve splashed out around £26 quid. (How many match day tickets need to be sold anyway, to get back the 11 million?).

Of course, if anyone isn’t keen on ‘bending over for the Eisners’, they are under no compulsion to attend the shit heap that Fratton Park is becoming.

That’ll teach those Yanks not to buy our club and spend a small fortune on it. If I had eleven million to spend, you wouldn’t see me investing it in a football ground. I’d sooner spunk it away on the likes of Marquis or Harrison. Oh wait, they’ve already done that too. Of course, they’re only in it to sell on aren’t they? Pompey must be worth at least what they’ve spent on it!

Turnover…that’s profit, right? £12 mill in the Eisners pockets, every year. License to print money!
(28-02-2023, 02:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So you don’t think it’s a good thing to get back to having a capacity we haven’t achieved in ten years but you do want to go back to the old days when the floodlight pylons took up such a large part of the ground?

The Eisners, apparently, have and are spending millions but the fixtures and fittings still aren’t up to the required standard after you’ve splashed out around £26 quid. (How many match day tickets need to be sold anyway, to get back the 11 million?).

Of course, if anyone isn’t keen on ‘bending over for the Eisners’, they are under no compulsion to attend the shit heap that Fratton Park is becoming.

That’ll teach those Yanks not to buy our club and spend a small fortune on it. If I had eleven million to spend, you wouldn’t see me investing it in a football ground. I’d sooner spunk it away on the likes of Marquis or Harrison. Oh wait, they’ve already done that too. Of course, they’re only in it to sell on aren’t they? Pompey must be worth at least what they’ve spent on it!

Turnover…that’s profit, right? £12 mill in the Eisners pockets, every year. License to print money!

Without wishing to be annoying turnover is total money generated - not profit.

Doesn't take into account costs.

How much profit we're making I'm not sure.
(28-02-2023, 02:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So you don’t think it’s a good thing to get back to having a capacity we haven’t achieved in ten years but you do want to go back to the old days when the floodlight pylons took up such a large part of the ground?

All I said was I liked the floodlights. Seeing them lit up on tuesday night getting off the train at Fratton was always a highlight.

I respect your opinion but I have little sympathy for owners who approached the trust and who had prior experience of running sporting businesses at a much higher financial level than league 1 Pompey. An idiot could see that FP hadn't been looked at in years. Spread over the number of years they've run the club, and given their wealth, we've hardly been a drain on their bank account.
I don’t recall this level of dissatisfaction with previous owners who spent a LOT less on the ground than the Eisners.

I love how people care about the price of the materials used like they have a fucking clue what they are talking about.

I haven’t heard much moaning about the JM appointment lately.
Pages: 1 2