TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cambride next
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Banana skin?
Orange peel
We have a young first time manager, going well right now but we re going to have to expect the unexpected, at least in the short term
Watermelon rind
No, this is a new young manager looking to prove himself. He will keep driving the team forward. It's the experienced managers with nothing much to prove who might get complacent.
When's the Cambridge game then?
Always the bride, never the bridge.
(01-03-2023, 12:45 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]When's the Cambridge game then?

Saturday 4th.
Not a happy hunting ground.
And can these players perform like that more than once a week?
Might need some fresh legs.
But at least it feels exciting to wait and find out.
We've got a good bench now so that will help
(01-03-2023, 07:12 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Not a happy hunting ground.

I hate that postage stamp little ground. A low scoring match, hope we can nick it 1 - 0.
Pompey to win 1-3.
They concede to set pieces regularly. If you remember when we played them at fratton, when they went 0-1 up, their fans sang 'top of the league'!
We think we've had it hard. They have been a shambles. Look where they currently sit from that heady night where pompey turned it on 2nd half.
We have our mojo back and JM need mot worry about anything. It's a shot to nothing.
Pompey could be that late run side that always rears its head in the last two months.
(01-03-2023, 09:07 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]

I hate that postage stamp little ground. A low scoring match, hope we can nick it 1 - 0.

bit like the Dell is it?
(03-03-2023, 12:58 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]

bit like the Dell is it?

I loved the Dell. Only went there once and we won 2:0. What's not to love?
(03-03-2023, 05:19 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

bit like the Dell is it?

Yeah, when my mate and I were regulars at FP we would sometimes got to the dell if they were playing at home.
Have to say, there wasn't all the hate then that there is today.
We'll no doubt have to rotate a few of the 'running' positions as 3 games in a week is too many to maintain the high intensity Moose wants us to play.

Hopefully a few lads step up to the plate.
(03-03-2023, 06:21 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2023, 05:19 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

bit like the Dell is it?

Yeah, when my mate and I were regulars at FP we would sometimes got to the dell if they were playing at home.
Have to say, there wasn't all the hate then that there is today.

Reflection of the times I guess. I used to go there occasionally in the late sixties/early seventies. In their north strand (can't remember what it was called) there was no segregation, everyone in together and good-hearted banter, shame it's not like that now rather than all the hate. That's why I never stand up when Westwood startes the "stand up if you 'ate the scum" song. I don't hate scummers or anyone, I just laugh when the stripeys lose.
Never really got the scummer thing - all seems a bit manufactured. The dockers stuff seems a bit of a myth and by most accounts there was no real rivalry until the 80s. Most bitter rivalries are based on class, religion or close proximity but none of those really apply to the Pompey/Scummer thing. Nice to have a bit of fun at their expense but some of the hatred you hear is a bit bizarre. But then I'm from the smoke so probably missing something.
Now Millwall/West Ham - there's a rivalry.
(01-03-2023, 02:42 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2023, 12:45 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]When's the Cambridge game then?

Saturday 4th.

Anyone else going?
I remember being at The Dell when Pompey were there for some reason ('friendly'? - Cup game?) in the late 60's/early 70's when the Pompey boot boys had to take their Docs off and put them in a police van - to be collected afterwards. The coppers weren't too bothered at giving the right ones back. I also remember sharpened 6 penny bits being catapulted at the the Pompey fans. And Pompey fans being held at Southampton Station before the game. Anybody help with the date of that match?

It wasn't so great.
I guess us oldies are much more placid than the younger ones.
(03-03-2023, 10:05 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Never really got the scummer thing  - all seems a bit manufactured. The dockers stuff seems a bit of a myth and by most accounts there was no real rivalry until the 80s. Most bitter rivalries are based on class, religion or close proximity but none of those really apply to the Pompey/Scummer thing. Nice to have a bit of fun at their expense but some of the hatred you hear is a bit bizarre. But then I'm from the smoke so probably missing something.
Now Millwall/West Ham - there's a rivalry.

Plenty of fights in secondary schools between Pompey and Scummers in the 70s so certainly started before the 80s.
I was working at C&As in Commercial Rd as a Saturday job when Stains won their only trophy, mainly middle aged women working there and even they were all spitting blood when we heard they had won so definitely plenty of hatred in the mid 70s.