TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Plymouth Academy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see Plymouth are reportedly spending 21million on a category 2 Academy. It would be nice if our owners buy the playing fields that was St John’s and do the same. The amount of talent we must be losing out must be criminal even to the likes of Bournemouth.
Didn’t they mention a while ago they were exploring that option!? I’d imagine you won’t hear anything until the deal is completed like they did with roko no one knew anything about that until the deal was signed.
Ok, although the dream is of course to have a wonderful academy that produces first team players year after year but how realistic is that and is that the best use of tens of millions of pounds?

The academy system is hugely expensive to run and they produce very little. 50% of academy players leave the system before they are 16 and less than 30% of academy players go on to play professionally at any point.

We got Towler for £30k.
Personally I think it’s better to buy young players from other teams and let our non league teams produce the upcoming local talent. It would be interesting to see how many of these expensive grade 1&2 category academy players go onto play for their clubs, a very small percentage I reckon.
(02-03-2023, 12:26 PM)Zbluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I think it’s better to buy young players from other teams and let our non league teams produce the upcoming local talent. It would be interesting to see how many of these expensive grade 1&2 category academy players go onto play for their clubs, a very small percentage I reckon.

97% never play a minute of top flight football and 70% are not handed a pro contract at PL or EFL club.
Shocking statistics and probably proves that it’s not a commercial success to have a top academy. We can still operate a youth squad and play games but just on a smaller scale, especially as those statistics show a very small success rate.
Plymouth Argyle aren't spending that on an academy.  They are one of multiple partners in a council led £21million regeneration project for an area where their academy is sited. They'll be chipping in a seven figure sum but it won't be even half that amount.
Similar drop out rates to the old system of apprenticeships so perhaps not surprising.
I love the idea of an academy, but in the mean time having the facilities to bring in the likes of Towler and Lane and run a proper reserve/development side will do.
In addition too much of the U23 football is glorified 5 A side where they don't learn how to be footballers in the professional leagues.
The academy system is often misunderstood - The EPPP was formed to improve the standard of home grown players with a strategy to eventually produce to a standard for the senior game to win the world cup. The Academy 'goal' is to produce improved players for the leagues and not just their own club although if they are able to keep hold and develop into first team players then that is a bonus (hence the compensation scheme for players that switch clubs based on Academy category and how many years a player has been at a club)

Each club receives funding per season from the Premier league based on the Category status and which league the first team club is in - Cat 1's receive the highest and Cat 4's the lowest - which is understandable as Cat 1's will cost the most to run with all the add on's.

This is the Portsmouth figures https://resources.premierleague.com/prem...uth-FC.pdf

All clubs figures are here

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2350343

Portsmouth, Plymouth etc are equal (Cat 3's) but if you take a look at a Cat 1 the difference is vast.

Portsmouth's next move may be to push for Cat 2 as they can't be far off that standard with the support staff and facilities that have been put in place in the last couple of years.

Maybe the next move would be an U21's and have Zesh Rehman run it if he doesn't stay on with the first team.

Presently the stepping stone from U18's to first team may be too great for some and they lose too many players at the end of the scholarship year as there isn't a pathway forward (released or they choose to move on). Also it would give the young 'bought in' players somewhere to have quality game time as being loaned to non league teams for a season or so isn't developing them as it should.
If he wants it Guy Whittingham would seem to be an ideal candidate to nurture an under 21 side .
(03-03-2023, 05:33 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]If he wants it Guy Whittingham would seem to be an ideal candidate to nurture an under 21 side .

Not sure Guy has ever worked with youngsters. 

No doubt he could but I can't see him giving up his FA job.
(03-03-2023, 05:33 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]If he wants it Guy Whittingham would seem to be an ideal candidate to nurture an under 21 side .

Those who can’t, teach.

He coaches the coaches at the fa. He doesn’t have a great record in coaching.
This is the same group of people who didn't have a spot for Gary O'Neil. Lol not sure they're gonna have any time for Whitts.
(03-03-2023, 07:09 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]This is the same group of people who didn't have a spot for Gary O'Neil. Lol not sure they're gonna have any time for Whitts.

DC didn’t have room for him.
(03-03-2023, 08:47 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2023, 07:09 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]This is the same group of people who didn't have a spot for Gary O'Neil. Lol not sure they're gonna have any time for Whitts.

DC didn’t have room for him.

Yep, and look where that got him lol. For a man who uses the phrase "intelligent decisions" so often, you'd think he could take some of his own advice. In any walk of life, if there is an unexpected opportunity that presents itself, you make it work. 

Danny's on the dole and Gary's livin it large at the top of the tree.
Danny is a prick.