TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: New Manager must happen within 2 weeks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If we don't change in the next 2 weeks, not only will the slim chance of a play off win go, but the new team won't have time to work out which of the current squad can be coached into playing as they should. I think most Pompey fans will agree that we have the individual players to go up, but they are either not played, coached or given the tactics to work as a team! or are some of them suffering from some kind of Long Covid? A new manager coming in now would then be fully able to assess the squad before the summer and know which players to retain. A CHANGE IS NEEDED NOW!!!
How do you work out our chances of the play-offs are 'slim' FFS 

We are firmly in the play-off hunt and would have to extend this bad run of form for several more weeks to drop out of contention.  Slim chance of automatics, I'd grant you - like we had a slim chance of the Lge 2 championship when we were 17 points behind the leaders in February. 

It's no certainty but to say we have a 'slim' chance of the playoffs when we are in the play-off places with 15 games to go is bedwetting of the highest order.
(03-03-2021, 11:40 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]How do you work out our chances of the play-offs are 'slim' FFS 

We are firmly in the play-off hunt and would have to extend this bad run of form for several more weeks to drop out of contention.  Slim chance of automatics, I'd grant you - like we had a slim chance of the Lge 2 championship when we were 17 points behind the leaders in February. 

It's no certainty but to say we have a 'slim' chance of the playoffs when we are in the play-off places with 15 games to go is bedwetting of the highest order.

15th in the current form table iirc, I tend to agree that our play off hopes are dwindling quickly. Thats not bedwetting with Jackett i/c is it. Bloke is clueless & the team looks a shambles.
(03-03-2021, 11:30 AM)Old_Portmuthian Wrote: [ -> ]If we don't change in the next 2 weeks, not only will the slim chance of a play off win go, but the new team won't have time to work out which of the current squad can be coached into playing as they should. I think most Pompey fans will agree that we have the individual players to go up, but they are either not played, coached or given the tactics to work as a team! or are some of them suffering from some kind of Long Covid? A new manager coming in now would then be fully able to assess the squad before the summer and know which players to retain. A CHANGE IS NEEDED NOW!!!

Furlough Kenny. Get Naylor to put all the 1st team names in a bag and pull them out to select the starting 11 each game. Cash saved and improvement in team selection. Sorted.
(03-03-2021, 11:40 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]How do you work out our chances of the play-offs are 'slim' FFS 

I don't know what drugs you are on DumpBlue, but I'm sure they must be tinting those "bins" of yours rose coloured.

A simple fact, we have W3, D2, L5 and gained 11 points in the league since the turn of the year, we have 15 games to play, so that may equal 16 points on present form. As we have 52 points at present that would mean we would end up on 68 points, nowhere near enough to even secure a play-off place.  The two teams below us have played less games, both have the "bounce" of new management within the next few weeks.

This isn't bedwetting, it is cold, hard FACTS ffs !!

This hoof and hope Jacketball isn't working, and never will in modern football. ALL the teams that are gaining points play the ball out from the back, pass the ball to players who are moving around who are then threading incisive passes to fast forwards.
(03-03-2021, 12:14 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know what drugs you are on DumpBlue, but I'm sure they must be tinting those "bins" of yours rose coloured.

A simple fact, we have W3, D2, L5 and gained 11 points in the league since the turn of the year, we have 15 games to play, so that may equal 16 points on present form. As we have 52 points at present that would mean we would end up on 68 points, nowhere near enough to even secure a play-off place.  The two teams below us have played less games, both have the "bounce" of new management within the next few weeks.

This isn't bedwetting, it is cold, hard FACTS ffs !!

This hoof and hope Jacketball isn't working, and never will in modern football. ALL the teams that are gaining points play the ball out from the back, pass the ball to players who are moving around who are then threading incisive passes to fast forwards.

Bedwetting is assuming we will stay in the current bad form for the rest of the season just because we are currently playing badly. 

Realism shows that we are averaging 1.6 points per game this season and if we keep that up we will be in the playoffs. 73 points is enough for that. That has to be more than a 'slim' chance.  We are 7 points of second with 2 games in hand, that is a slim chance of the auitomatics, not a slim chance of the playoffs.   I would say we have a better than 50/50 chance of the play-offs, the bookies say our chances are 2/5 on, but whatever, the odds are better than slim.  

You can give up and surrender if you want, but I haven't and I don't think the players have yet.
It very much looks like the players have, not only that but they don’t look like they’re playing for Jackass regardless of their sound bites. On current form we’ll be lucky to get 6th place. I’d rather not go up this year. Get rid of the blight that is Jackett and go up next season and actually be able to witness it.
How is the team playing so badly after 4 years of Kenny running the show? He has noone to blame but himself.

I would get rid now. Give someone a chance to have a proper go at getting promotion. We are sleepwalking into 7th. The new management team would also have a better opportunity to review the squad before this summer's clear out.

I think it's a 2 year project to get us up.
(03-03-2021, 01:57 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]It very much looks like the players have, not only that but they don’t look like they’re playing for Jackass regardless of their sound bites. On current form we’ll be lucky to get 6th place. I’d rather not go up this year. Get rid of the blight that is Jackett and go up next season and actually be able to witness it.

He should have gone after the dismal display in last years play off they might just about stay in the play offs but nothing's guaranteed
(03-03-2021, 02:35 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]How is the team playing so badly after 4 years of Kenny running the show? He has noone to blame but himself.

I would get rid now. Give someone a chance to have a proper go at getting promotion. We are sleepwalking into 7th. The new management team would also have a better opportunity to review the squad before this summer's clear out.

I think it's a 2 year project to get us up.

I'd agree but for the fact that we have far more chance of getting a manager capable of the task if we wait for the summer. Rushing now could leave you with someone cuirrently out of work and no better than Jackett and so no nearer where we need to be.

It's not just any change we need but the right change. The wrong appointment now would set us back a couple of years.  Lets wait for the summer, and who knows we might even be a championship club which would widen the field of good applicants considerably. I can't see Jackett staying even if we go up.
(03-03-2021, 02:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd agree but for the fact that we have far more chance of getting a manager capable of the task if we wait for the summer. Rushing now could leave you with someone cuirrently out of work and no better than Jackett and so no nearer where we need to be.

It's not just any change we need but the right change. The wrong appointment now would set us back a couple of years.  Lets wait for the summer, and who knows we might even be a championship club which would widen the field of good applicants considerably. I can't see Jackett staying even if we go up.

I havn't given up or surrendered Dump Blue - I and thousands of other PFC fans are being totally realistic unlike you.

We have already missed out on Appleton (new contract), Bruno - gone to Sheff Wed, Cook (Ipswich), how many more do you want us to miss out on. Bringing in a new manager now would give the "bounce" effect and give him a chance to asses the current squad and which of the out of contract players is worth keeping(if any).

It isn't hard to work out that PFC Fans want a manager who plays football primarily on the deck, who shows passion on the touchline and in his interviews and produces a team that will also battle and fight to the bitter end.

We have absolutely no chance of being a Championship Club next season, so tell the Donkey to take his Jackett now and do one.
At this level man management and the ability to motivate half decent players are the two biggest assets a manager should have in his toolkit. Our current manager falls short on both.

Barry Ferguson.
(03-03-2021, 04:18 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]I havn't given up or surrendered Dump Blue - I and thousands of other PFC fans are being totally realistic unlike you.

We have already missed out on Appleton (new contract), Bruno - gone to Sheff Wed, Cook (Ipswich), how many more do you want us to miss out on. Bringing in a new manager now would give the "bounce" effect and give him a chance to asses the current squad and which of the out of contract players is worth keeping(if any).

It isn't hard to work out that PFC Fans want a manager who plays football primarily on the deck, who shows passion on the touchline and in his interviews and produces a team that will also battle and fight to the bitter end.

We have absolutely no chance of being a Championship Club next season, so tell the Donkey to take his Jackett now and do one.

Realism is not saying that something independent bookies rate as being a 2/5 on chance is 'Slim'. 

All I was objecting to was the use of that term 'slim' in relation to our chances of being in the playoffs.  We will probably, not certainly, be in the play-offs and we will probably not , but not certainly not, win them based on previous efforts. But that is very different from having a slim chance of making them and no chance of winning them. I'd rate our chances of promotion about 6/1 against at the moment, a damn sight shorter than our odds of winning the league 2 championship at the same stage.  So it's possible, and while it's possible you put everything into trying to make it happen. Giving up is not the Pompey way. 

And you say we have missed out on Appleton and Moore ... but they would not have been available to us before the end of the season. Appleton would never leave what he has achieved before the end of the season, and Moore would not have left Donny for anyone unless it was to a higher division and much bigger club.  Yes, we missed out on Cook but do you really think the club would want him back, or that he would want to return ? By waiting for the summer getting someone like Appleton would become a possibility as would several other good candidates that would never desert their current clubs in mid-season.  Don't let our hatred of Jackett cause a rash decision now that leads to a bad choice the next manager.
We should only sack Jackett now if we have a replacement lined up, excatly like what Ipswich have done. Notwithstanding, I would be disappointed if the powers that be had not already started the recruitment process, or at least drawn up a shortlist?!

If we wait until the end of the season, we run the risk of selecting a manager who has not had the chance to assess the current squad. Then he has to draw up his own list of preferred signings, when really this process needs to be done well before the seasons end. Otherwise, he'll just be playing catch up and next season will be a write off as team tries to gel, get use to formation change, playing style and tactics etc.

There is also a risk that a delayed new manager appointment means we miss out extending the contracts of our decent out of contract players like Naylor, Cannon and Jack. They are unlikely to hang around and be off to pastures new.
If the leadership at Pompey don’t have someone lined up by now, they’re more incompetent than Kenny & Joe!

As soon as the decision not to extend Kennys contract has been taken, you have to start looking for alternatives.
‘We should only sack Jackett now if we have a replacement lined up....’.

We could put a hatstand in charge and the team selection and tactics would be better.
A hatstand? you may have to translate that for the kids Gaff
Mine is incorporated with my umbrella stand
On present form, we scrape a top half finish.

Can't argue with the numbers.
I just do not understand the glamour for the return of Cook. I’m my opinion a lot of the time the football was just as dire with him in charge as it is under Jackett.

Deep I wish I could share your optimism because it’s been along time that I have watched a team that has totally lost any confidence. We are playing like a team that is in a relegation battle. For me one of the guys on the radio after last nights game hit the nail on the head said, the last time we totally dominated a team was Sunderland away. We have been punching above our weight for along time.
(03-03-2021, 08:29 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]On present form, we scrape a top half finish.

Can't argue with the numbers.

I can't feel much optimism at the moment. I don't think many people wanted or had much faith in KJ after last season. My sentiment, as i think was most peoples, was that he had had 3 cracks at it, he had 6 transfer windows to get the squad he wanted and while statistically close, you never felt we were at anytime a stable and strong promotion team. 
The owner can say that he's a man that honours the managers contract, and gives them a chance, so that will hopefully help when recruiting the next manager, but that isn't much consolation when you think that this season and last was a really good chance to get out of this league.

There was too much inconsistency, too much team tinkering, too many unanswered questions i.e. no dominant midfielder, what to do with lone strikers and this season a fragile looking defence (i know we have the 5th best goals against record, but i'd suggest that we are shaky and that the keeper has bailed them out quite a lot), too many decisions that have baffled and frustrated the players and not enough characters in the squad that can pull them out of slumps like this. I also think that there are too many players in the squad who know they can't hack it and the championship and wouldn't get offered a new contract if we did get promoted.

At the moment the manager appears desperate, trying new combinations, formations, and the players don't look like they have the answers or character to do much about it....Get them together captain Tom and prove us wrong.
(03-03-2021, 09:34 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I just do not understand the glamour for the return of Cook. I’m my opinion a lot of the time the football was just as dire with him in charge as it is under Jackett.

Deep I wish I could share your optimism because it’s been along time that I have watched a team that has totally lost any confidence. We are playing like a team that is in a relegation battle. For me one of the guys on the radio after last nights game hit the nail on the head said, the last time we totally dominated a team was Sunderland away. We have been punching above our weight for along time.

I'm not actually that optimistic, but there is still a chance and while there is a chance you keep trying.  And certainly a better than slim chance that we could make the play-offs, where again the only source of optimism is  the law of averages.
(03-03-2021, 09:48 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2021, 09:34 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I just do not understand the glamour for the return of Cook. I’m my opinion a lot of the time the football was just as dire with him in charge as it is under Jackett.

I'm not actually that optimistic, but there is still a chance and while there is a chance you keep trying.  And certainly a better than slim chance that we could make the play-offs, where again the only source of optimism is  the law of averages.

We are in a race with around 10 clubs to finish top 6 of which Pbro will most likely be top. Most of the ten, ourselves included, seem to be hell bent on finishing outside the top 6 possibly to avoid financial implications of Champ football. I hate our style of football and Jackett depresses me but in our favour our poor run will probably end soon enough to scramble to 5th or 6th before he rests key players for the play offs.
(03-03-2021, 09:48 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Deep Blue, Please read my original post...I said a slim chance of a play off WIN! not making the play offs! We probably have a 50/50 chance of making them maybe even better, BUT do you think we have better than a slim chance of actually winning them? especially with Jackett! I think most clued up fans know the answer to that one!
Getting back to the original post. There is a chance of Kenny going before the end of the season but that would probably only be when it is mathematically impossible to be promoted.

It will be bitter sweet.
Pages: 1 2