TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Full time report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wednesday superb in defence. Very difficult to break down.

Pompey far more threatening in the first half, largely through Lane and Rafferty (who both faded in the second half.

Not really much to get excited about in the second period. It was just an effective defensive display by Sheffield. There was one bright moment of Raggett wizardry in extra time, which brought a smile. That was it.
Last 3 games, 8 shots on target and some bang average defending. We don’t really deserve to be challenging if this is our attempt to bust a gut and make the playoffs. Similar to Cowleys whimpering finish in his first season.
It was an entertaining game to watch. We are just lacking in quality. We knew this week would not be fun, in terms of results but at least the games haven't been boring. We are where we are. This isn't a surprise.

There are glaringly obvious areas where the last two games alone have shown where we need improvement.

1:Naieve tactics
2: weak midfield (size)
3: sloppy, error prone, defense

Let's hope these are all addressed before the new season starts.
Finally, get to see some of the other players and they aren't bad.
I thought our midfield did ok. Morrell was certainly back to his aggressive little best.

Sheffield just sat back and held us at arms length for the second half. Even with the extra man, it didn’t make much difference.

The match report won’t make very interesting reading for Skippy, I’m afraid.
We were poor both halves. No
Penetration. What did Hackett actually do when he came on. Piggott played well but we were bullied all over the pitch in a match controlled by an abysmal referee.
On the plus side we got to see the best midfielder in this division - Bannon.
At least he put in about three crosses, more than Dale managed.
But they still didn’t go anywhere
(11-03-2023, 06:10 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I thought our midfield did ok. Morrell was certainly back to his aggressive little best.

Sheffield just sat back and held us at arms length for the second half. Even with the extra man, it didn’t make much difference.

I watched the match. I’m on my week off at the moment, but seriously what is your problem with me? Is there any need for the snide remarks?
The board is a bit on edge at the moment. Must be something to do with the state of the country.
Fuck off is it
Well, I just walked into the pub and my period started.
We were better than Wednesday but Wednesday are good at what they do if that makes any sense
Whoosh
Stats and performance show that we weren't lacking in effort, we had far more than enough of that. But they were a cut above. No complaints.
(11-03-2023, 06:36 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 06:10 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I thought our midfield did ok. Morrell was certainly back to his aggressive little best.

I watched the match. I’m on my week off at the moment, but seriously what is your problem with me? Is there any need for the snide remarks?

Chuckle 

Calm down, Skippy, far too sensitive. Enjoy your beer and your week off.

What did you think of Raggett’s little party piece in their box? Shame he doesn’t do it more often, eh?
(11-03-2023, 05:09 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Wednesday superb in defence. Very difficult to break down.

Pompey far more threatening in the first half, largely through Lane and Rafferty (who both faded in the second half.

Not really much to get excited about in the second period. It was just an effective defensive display by Sheffield. There was one bright moment of Raggett wizardry in extra time, which brought a smile. That was it.

I'd love to know if that's how Wednesday have played all this season because they were just playing hoof ball and kicked the krap out of our team for most of the match - backed up by an accommodating ref who was totally out of his depth (again).  It was an awful game to watch full to the brim of previous outlawed tricks that somehow are allowed nowadays. I'm referring to the goalkeeper releasing the ball after 10 seconds and Wednesday's relentless kicking the ball away and stopping the game restarting - both of which were short-lived yellow cards a while back. I guess you can either play dirty and get promoted or pass the ball to across the back 4 for 90 minutes and stay in L1. It certainly didn't look like we were playing a team most likely to win the league.

Still, it doesn't help that we have that feckless loser KrappiKliffe there to ensure that all creativity ends as soon as the ball hits his foot. Yeh, I know I've gone on about him before but it's gone on too long now. Sooner we get rid of that kunt the better. It's actually painful watching the dozy fecker trap the ball, wait 30 seconds for it to get to a complete still then, after looking gormlessly for a further few seconds, kicks the ball onto Raggett's lap to deal with it. Midfielder he ain't.

There's a huge amount of work for us next season to transfer a bang average team into one capable of finishing in the top 2 or, at least, higher than err... Shrewsbury Town and Wycombe Wanderers. Over to you Eisners. Show some ambition for a change.
Being realistic we need to build a team to get into 5th or 6th and then go from there.
Cook then Kenny did that, then Cowley ripped it apart and spent a lot more money doing that.

Squad wise we might not be too far off if we can add some pace up front and have a little more luck with injuries to key players. Might also want to stop signing midgets as the northern big hitters usually out muscle us.
Ambishunnnnnnn moosh
(11-03-2023, 09:59 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 06:36 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]

Chuckle 

Calm down, Skippy, far too sensitive. Enjoy your beer and your week off.

What did you think of Raggett’s little party piece in their box? Shame he doesn’t do it more often, eh?

I thought the lay off he did after being given a lot of room in the box to do his party piece led to another decent cross with nobody on the end of it. We didn’t test their keeper at all for the entire match, even though I didn’t think Wednesday were anywhere near their best. Overall disappointing result and an average performance from our team
btw- what was that goal celebration?
How friggin embarrassing.