TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Todays ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Macey  .. 7 had nothing much to do, but no mistakes 
Rafferty 7 Source of half a dozen or so crosses from the right, some of them quite good
Raggett 7 Solid in the air as usaul, and two or three flashes of intricate dribbling. Stupid booking, lucky not to be red witha ref as bad as that one. 
Towler 8 Always looks so calm on the ball
Ogilvie 7 Got forward well, but was he at fault for their goal ? 
Morrell 7 Busy as ever and theonly one to show any pace getting forward
Tunnicliffe 7 Not quite up to standard of recent weeks, but did nothing much wrong
Lane 7 Looks the solution to our right wing problem to me, but he either get fouled a lot or he goes to ground too easily. Can't wait to see him there against poorer opposition. 
Pigott 7 Did OK seeing as no 10 is not really his position but not sure he was MOTM
Dale 5 Poor end product as always, but lacked the usual contribution in other ways today
Bishop 8 MOTM for me .. led the line superbly and his hold up play was the best I've seen this season 

Subs
Hackett - 6 No impact
Lowery, Jacobs - too late to get a rating. 

Mousinho 6 His subs did not make much impact, and he failed to take full advantage of them going down to 10. 

But all in all a great game to watch, and we matched the team that is going to win the league in most respects. A draw would not have been out of place.
I thought a draw would have been a fair result but they scored and we didn't.
Deep beat me to it.

We differ over Towler and Bishop but it’s all about opinions and I couldn’t strongly disagree with that assessment.
Piggot not deserving of MOM. But couldn’t chose one TBF. Not sure how Tunnicliffe keeps Thompson out the team. Too slow to pick a pass - really frustrating.

Decent crosses and dead ball delivery again lacking. Free kicks and corners to easily cleared.

We don’t have goal scoring midfielders - Bishop must feel the weight of the whole crowd on his shoulders.
Pigott got through a lot of good work, it just didn't come off today. The MotM was reasonable.
Macey.7 Nothing really to do, apart from pick the ball out of the net.
Rafferty. 7.5 With his delivery's, he should be taking free kicks
Raggett 7 Normal steady Eddie, should have left a header in the box to Bishop.... Good kung foo tackle, two footed.
Towler 6.5 At fault for their goal, should have been closer to Smith... Ball travelled a long way.
Ogilvie 7.5 Some good delivery's, and also won a few good freekicks
Morrell 8. MOTM kept the game ticking over for us...
Tunnicliffe 7.5 Think he can count himself unlucky to be taken off...If only we had done better with his 25 yard out tackle.
Lane 8 It looks like we can now keep Scarlett on the bench boys we have a winner.... Really good first half, faded second half.
Dale 5 He was our Scarlett today... Couldn't do anything against a team of Giants...
Bishop 7 Did really well verse a big strong backline.... Unlucky with the little flick.
Pigott 6.5 Put himself around, some of his linkup play was good... And we needed his height vs a big strong backline

Subs
Hackett 5 Did nothing

Not on long enough
Lowery
Jacobs
Considering pigott hasn’t started most of the season I thought he played well today and a run in the team at 10 could be part of the end of season
(11-03-2023, 07:56 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Considering pigott hasn’t started most of the season I thought he played well today and a run in the team at 10 could be part of the end of season

No point. We’re not going up or down. Pigott is going back at the end of the season. Blood some youth. Play our players.
Ditto Dale. Lane looked good today
Maybe we should all take into account we were playing against the team with the best defensive record in all four leagues. And a far higher budget as allowed by league rules.
(11-03-2023, 10:06 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 07:56 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Considering pigott hasn’t started most of the season I thought he played well today and a run in the team at 10 could be part of the end of season

No point. We’re not going up or down. Pigott is going back at the end of the season. Blood some youth. Play our players.

What we want from Pigott now is to just do enough to make it clear he is worth keeping, but not enough for Ipswich to want him back. Then next season he can show us what he's really made of.
(12-03-2023, 07:36 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 10:06 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

What we want from Pigott now is to just do enough to make it clear he is worth keeping, but not enough for Ipswich to want him back. Then next season he can show us what he's really made of.

Yes, I think Pigott along with a few others could prosper under the new coaching approaches of Mousinho. Writing in The Snooze, Jordan Cross was suggesting that with so many players out of contract this summer will be a time for a complete rebuild of the squad. If that happens, I will despair. I think we need to use the rest of the season to give everyone a chance to show that they can carry out the new manager's ideas. Then, I can see a few being offered new contracts with the addition of maybe four new faces. Tinkering rather than overhaul is what's required. 

Those I think we have already seen enough of both under the current and past regime are Dale, Hume, Freeman. I would also release Curtis and Jacobs. 

Now I would like to see Mingi, Bernard and Lane getting extended runs. Also it's time for Hackett to show whether he's ever going to to be anything more  than just a peripheral squad player.
I'd add Tunnicliffe to your list of let-gos, Gerry. Flattered to deceive lately, I can't get his backward passing from the Cowley era out of my mind. He can pick a short pass but nothing over ten metres, is quite slow and can't shoot to save his life. Yes, he's done ok lately but there must be better out there if we want to challenge for direct promotion.
(12-03-2023, 08:25 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]I'd add Tunnicliffe to your list of let-gos, Gerry. Flattered to deceive lately, I can't get his backward passing from the Cowley era out of my mind. He can pick a short pass but nothing over ten metres, is quite slow and can't shoot to save his life. Yes, he's done ok lately but there must be better out there if we want to challenge for direct promotion.

Yes, I had a wobble over Tunnicliffe who has had really awful games this season but maybe has balanced that out recently. Also, if we are serious challengers, can we afford the luxury of injury/suspension prone Pack?
(12-03-2023, 08:12 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Writing in The Snooze, Jordan Cross was suggesting that with so many players out of contract this summer will be a time for a complete rebuild of the squad.

As it was last summer, and the summer before that. Richard Hughes has done well since his arrival which is a cause for optimism, but I am beyond jaded now.

Same bait for the STHs.
(12-03-2023, 10:59 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2023, 08:12 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Writing in The Snooze, Jordan Cross was suggesting that with so many players out of contract this summer will be a time for a complete rebuild of the squad.

As it was last summer, and the summer before that. Richard Hughes has done well since his arrival which is a cause for optimism, but I am beyond jaded now.

Same bait for the STHs.

I think they stopped trusting Cowley with money.
Being a Pompey supporter, hope springs eternal. It'll come good next year and we'll make the play-off final and have another great day out at Wembley culminated in reaching the honey-filled (poison chalice?) that is the Championship. Back to my dreams...
I think Hughes is definitely making a difference. Cowley wasted money, Kenny generally did not.
(12-03-2023, 07:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I think Hughes is definitely making a difference. Cowley wasted money, Kenny generally did not.

Marquis... Smile
(12-03-2023, 07:48 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2023, 07:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I think Hughes is definitely making a difference. Cowley wasted money, Kenny generally did not.

Marquis... Smile

Harrison
(12-03-2023, 08:21 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2023, 07:48 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Marquis... Smile

Harrison

I did say generally.
At the time I think we were all quite excited about both of them. Not sure why Harrison nearly paid off he had a lot of attributes. Marquis needed a good passer of through balls in midfield which we lacked. 
Overall his record of point scored per £ spent must be about a million miles ahead of Cowley.
Spent millions more than Cowley and still failed to get promoted. Are any of his signings ripping up the Championship or Premiership. Jacket record can't be compared with Cook's recruitment many of whom went onto bigger and better things.