TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Keep or Leave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Whoever we keep, we will need to invest in a proper promotion campaign. Not play-offs, straight promotion.

When Harry was asked ahead of the 2002 campaign what his target was was that season, he said to win the league. When questioned whether that was over-reaching things for a side that finished the previous season in the botom half od the table, he said "If you aim for mediocrity, you get mediocrity." If the play-offs is our ambition, we will probably fall short of that again. 

If we fail to invest, there are others coming down from the Championship and perm three from the current top six who will happily step up to the financial mark. And we're not talking about the Wycombes, Accringtons and MK Dons anymore. Clubs with decent backing like Bolton, Derby and Ipswich. 

Two windows should be enough and as we're not talking about a major overahul, we should have the resources to buy the four or five quality players that will make the difference.
"If you aim for mediocrity, you get mediocrity."

That's a good signature
(14-03-2023, 08:54 AM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]"If you aim for mediocrity, you get mediocrity."

That's a good signature

Id keep Louis Thompson, Josh Oluwayemi, Jayden Reid, Curtis, Ogilvie and buy Macey. Most are good cover and I'd like to see Reid play before binning him off. A similar pay per game contract like Thompson had would be an option. Others could go provided we can get improvements on them.

It's our midfield that is our main problem. Not enough creativity and pace, and opponents too easily walk through our midfield and give no protection to our defence. We also want decent back ups in key positions. The only area this happens  at the moment is in goal and swanson/raffety area.

I think Hughes has made a decent start considering the transfer window stuff that happened and will do well over a much longer summer window.
What's wrong with Curtis's attitude exactly?.

Puts a shift in, chases everything, scores a healthy number for a winger.
(14-03-2023, 07:40 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with Curtis's attitude exactly?.

He has shown that against all the others we've signed in his position or right wing, he is the only one who actually produces regular assists and goals. 

as regards the promotion comment

I seem to recall Bobby Campbell at just this level saying something like "perfect preparation brings promotion" in my first season as a regular thanks to my bag of programs
(14-03-2023, 08:44 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2023, 07:40 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with Curtis's attitude exactly?.

He has shown that against all the others we've signed in his position or right wing, he is the only one who actually produces regular assists and goals. 

as regards the promotion comment

I seem to recall Bobby Campbell at just this level saying something like "perfect preparation brings promotion" in my first season as a regular thanks to my bag of programs

Ha, the old bag of programmes.

Wondering what to do with mine.
These would be the players I would keep / renew their loans if possible:

Macey: Definitely keep. I've been really impressed. Sign if we can.
O'gilvie: Keep. Consistantly decent. Other areas need more attention.
Rafferty: Keep. Good player. Another player who looks to have nailed down his position.
Raggett: Keep. He's had an indiffernt season but is back to playing well now. Keep it simple and he's perfectly fine.
Towler: Keep. Hit the ground running for us. A little inconsistant last few games but he's only 20!

Morell: Keep. Good for this level.
Lowery: Keep. Decent player.
Tunnicliffe: Keep. Was rubbish under Cowleys but has been one of our most consistant performers under Mous.
Pack: Keep. Actually think we're better with him not starting but he's an option.
Jacobs: Keep. Decent option.
Thompson: Keep. Good option.

Bishop: Keep. Player of the season.
Piggott: Keep. If he's not too expensive on wages then keep. Does bring something different.

Dale & Paddy Lane: on trial until the end of the season as far as I'm concerned.

Curtis. Not sure what to do about him. Difficult situation. I've always felt he'd jump ship very quickly if a Championship club went in for him but I do like him.

The rest indifferent if they left.
Lane has just signed, don't think they'll get rid after a few months
Pages: 1 2