TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Red card appeal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Against Piggot's sending off. Fingers crossed.
Yup.

He had to go for it and was entitled to.

Nonsense red as was the first.
In this day and age we haven't got a 'snowballs'.
Our last 2 appeals, Freeman and Morrell, were unsuccessful. Let's hope this one is a success
Yeah, the ref had to square it up, didn't he?

Honestly, the refs in leagues 1 & 2 are diabolical mostly.
When I was working an elderly gent, 82 I think (can't remember his name) was a top ref who did all the old div 1 teams And was an accessor after, not sure if he's still alive.
He told me they weren't up to much nowadays (including top refs).
Think Jack Taylor is the best I've seen Foxley. No one now even close sadly
(15-03-2023, 10:53 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Think Jack Taylor is the best I've seen Foxley. No one now even close sadly

Yes he would swear as much as the players, was a brilliant ref IMO 
If only the ref courses would have videos of him to look up to. Big Grin
Always preferred Clive White myself. Calm and collected whatever the situation. As for the red, no chance of it being overturned in that sort of challenge. A pity, as Pigott, under a manager who has time for him, was demonstrating his ability to the professional cynics and naysayers, on this board.
I can't remember him. Met an ex Football League Ref (Jim Bent) in my days. He had some stories to tell
(15-03-2023, 11:55 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Always preferred Clive White myself. Calm and collected whatever the situation. As for the red, no chance of it being overturned in that sort of challenge. A pity, as Pigott, under a manager who has time for him, was demonstrating his ability to the professional cynics and naysayers, on this board.

Piggott is an interesting one.

He does have his uses but last night he really struggled to get the ball under control which is what led to his lunge.

He should have scored the opportunity but instead got himself sent off.

I probably would keep him for another year if the opportunity is there but he needs to improve.
(15-03-2023, 09:27 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]Yup.

Wasn't the keeper the last man?
I knew a ref. (I'm not mentioning his name) Decent bloke. He was running the line for the Pompey Fulham game, you know that 4-4 when we were 4-0 up at half time. Boxing day 1984?
Anyway he came on at half time for the ref who crocked himself.
I had to have a go at him as he did not give us a penalty or even the foul that was inside the area towards the end of the game.
Do you know what he said?
" It wasnt a penalty, because I did not give it."
The red for the foul on Lane saved Hackett’s face as he blasted the free shot on goal miles over the bar. Well worked goal from it. Pigott took the quick free kick and then scored from the centre. Training ground stuff.
(15-03-2023, 12:43 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]

No - there were two Accrington players running parallel either side of him - he was not clear of the defence and through against the keeper.

Why on earth the keeper ran out is anyone's guess.

Only one player between him and the goal.
(15-03-2023, 03:49 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Only one player between him and the goal.

Its debateable.

He's not clear through on goal for me - he's got guys right with him who can stop him from scoring.
There is one player between him and the goal. The other defenders are to the side of him, it isn’t debatable.
The rule is quite clear..was there a clear goal scoring opportunity if he had got past the keeper. Answer, yes without doubt. Why ? Because he was past the goalkeeper.

When the keeper commits the foul in that position the criteria for the presence or not of other defenders are completely different. There are hardly any circumstances when it would not be a goalscoring opportunity with no keeper in the goal.

And I don't think it's worth appealing pigott's...he was lunging too far forward for his tackle to be deemed under control. And he did endanger the keeper's safety. A bit on the harsh side but not a wrong decision.
(15-03-2023, 10:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]The rule is quite clear..was there a clear goal scoring opportunity if he had got past the keeper. Answer, yes without doubt. Why ? Because he was past the goalkeeper.

When the keeper commits the foul in that position the criteria for the presence or not of other defenders are completely different. There are hardly any circumstances when it would not be a goalscoring opportunity with no keeper in the goal.

And I don't think it's worth appealing pigott's...he was lunging too far forward for his tackle to be deemed under control. And he did endanger the keeper's safety. A bit on the harsh side but not a wrong decision.
Pigott was airborne and thank goodness he never fully connected with the keepers head or knee. It could have been very serious.
(15-03-2023, 10:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]The rule is quite clear..was there a clear goal scoring opportunity if he had got past the keeper. Answer, yes without doubt. Why ? Because he was past the goalkeeper.

How can you lunge too far forward?
Interesting one. How about he lunged forward and managed to catch his dog before it fell over the cliff. Or he lunged too far forward trying to catch his dog and fell over the edge of the cliff.
Well, a lunge is a kind of intuitive act but without any degree of control (by definition you only lunge when there is a real need to do so - it’s instinctive, not by design) else you couldn’t call it a lunge, more of a half-hearted thrust forward. Your example has more to do with proximity to the cliff edge.

The issue is whether he lunged dangerously or was entitled to challenge by stretching. If you watch it both players make almost exactly the same type of movement at the very same time, just from different angles. Both players leading legs come into contact with their opponents leg. The outcome was equal. It was a competitive challenge from both, neither should have been penalised, no injury, no danger. Goodness knows how the ref can justify a red. Hopefully there’s another camera/video angle which supports this as the match camera immediately behind Piggot is the least favourable angle for him.
(15-03-2023, 03:39 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]

No - there were two Accrington players running parallel either side of him - he was not clear of the defence and through against the keeper.

Definite red, denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity.
(16-03-2023, 01:59 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-03-2023, 03:39 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]

Definite red, denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I don't think it is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

He's got defenders right by him.

He's not clean through.

Is debateble.

Who gives a fark anyway!

Went our way for once.
Reeco is very lucky that the ref brought it back for the red card. A diabolical effort with the goal gaping lol.
Pages: 1 2