TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: It's not been a bad season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Doesn't even make the top ten out of those I have witnessed.

We started brightly enough but then the confidence went alongside some key injuries. The management weren't savvy enough to deal with it so we changed. Generally with minimum player change we have improved thereafter. Leaves me optimistic for the following season.

Investment continues off the pitch and I'm happy enough with the way we seem to be progressing with player recruitment.

I'm still happy the club is in a better position than a year ago (taking all aspects of the club into consideration) and on the whole, playing more attractive football and showing more resilience.

We still have something to play for too. Stranger things have happened.

So when someone asks about ambition, I say take a good look around.

We are Portsmouth, we are, by degrees, on our way back.
Tee, someone is going to say "brick by brick", following your " by degree" observation.

However, you are right - I think back to the days of Ian St John and wince!

And, the trouble is we all view BETTER in different ways. Because this if football, and we are PFC, some only assess improvement by League position.

As a club we have moved forward.
I can't agree with that.

We are now looking at a 7th season in a row in the 3rd tier.

We were bought in 2017 and since the new ownership we've not gone up and have in fact gone backwards on the pitch with our final standings being 8th, 4th, 5th, 10 and likely midtable again with a weaker squad than under Jackett.

Improvements to our facilities is welcome but not enough to cover the issues on the pitch.

This season, which started well, was more or less over by new years where we fired our manager with very little to look forward to since.

Some of the football this year has been diabolical with at best flat atmospheres - at worst toxic (MK Dons, Ipswich, Charlton).

Anything other than playoffs is a failure as far as I'm concerned.

It's difficult to see us getting out of this league any time soon.

One positive is I like the way our new manager seems to be doing things.

A fresh season under his control could see another push for playoffs with a small chance we could this year.

It's been a largely awful season thus far. Hopefully we can build momentum going into the next.
Again it's all about personal perception.

Some may say "improvements to our facilities were welcome" - others may say essential and would be continually moaning at the lack of progress on that front, if we were still stuck with the 1970's conditions. ( Or perhaps not as half the ground may have been closed down)

However, I do not think that the Pompey loyal frustrations are lost on the Eisners, and I have a good feeling that they will support a concerted push next term - on the pitch!
I would say this season has been my worst as a pompey supporter. (I started supporting pompey in the Rix era).

Right the way back to pre-season you could see we were a shambles. The sad thing is that we watch other 'smaller' teams pass us by, whilst we are stuck at our new level. It's incredibly depressing to not think the team has a chance of promotion when it's your umpteenth try at getting out of the division.

Even today, we are less experienced right the way through the club. And ecery season we bring in less experience. Its been a hard slog.

Investment is being drip fed into the club and the pace of 'progress' is eye wateringly slow. (I don't consider a stadium of 20k progress. I call that standing still).
(16-03-2023, 04:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I would say this season has been my worst as a pompey supporter. (I started supporting pompey in the Rix era).

Right the way back to pre-season you could see we were a shambles. The sad thing is that we watch other 'smaller' teams pass us by, whilst we are stuck at our new level. It's incredibly depressing to not think the team has a chance of promotion when it's your umpteenth try at getting out of the division.

Even today, we are less experienced right the way through the club. And ecery season we bring in less experience. Its been a hard slog.

Investment is being drip fed into the club and the pace of 'progress' is eye wateringly slow. (I don't consider a stadium of 20k progress. I call that standing still).

So you're a newbie then Pedders, started supporting PFC, got premierised very quickly & want to be back there - patience isn't one of your virtues then. 

An an  "old timer" I put up with 10+ seasons in Old Div 1 before we sank to Old 4th Division. Witnessed the yo yo fight back to the Premiership. Saw us sink again & am now witnessing another yo-yo type fightback.

p.s  We would be pkaying in an under 10k capacity shed if it wasn't for the ongoing investment in the stadium. 
(16-03-2023, 04:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I would say this season has been my worst as a pompey supporter. (I started supporting pompey in the Rix era).

We were top of the league having won 6 and drawn 3 the first nine. Not so shambolic but then the wheels fell off.
(16-03-2023, 04:14 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

So you're a newbie then Pedders, started supporting PFC, got premierised very quickly & want to be back there - patience isn't one of your virtues then. 

An an  "old timer" I put up with 10+ seasons in Old Div 1 before we sank to Old 4th Division. Witnessed the yo yo fight back to the Premiership. Saw us sink again & am now witnessing another yo-yo type fightback.

p.s  We would be pkaying in an under 10k capacity shed if it wasn't for the ongoing investment in the stadium. 

I don't consider myself premierised. But yes, we had an incredible team back then and wasted it all. I don't expect us to be in the premiership but I also don't expect us to be outside the championship for over 10 fooking years either. 

Going from 20k to 10k capacity is going backwards. Going from 20k to 20k capacity is standing still. My point is that whilst the owners crow about how much they are doing for the stadium. It's not actually progress; it's maintainence. 

If they pull their finger out and do something that increases capacity, that is something different.
Well- the Milton End development looks better than expected and plans for the North Stand are clearly in progress. Like many of the oldies on here I just hope it's bleedin' well done before I conk out.
I think it's been a really mixed bag season. 

We started looking like we might finally go up. Then the injuries. Then it was dire for months to the point of almost uninteresting. Since the management change it's not been bad  - wins and losses rather than draws and losses. I can think of a lot worse seasons.

How can this season be worse than the season we got relegated from this very same division using 51 different shyte players through a revolving door. ??!!

This is my 57th season and would not make the top 20 bad ones. It could even mathematically still be a promotion season.
and for those still young enough want to do it, we have installed some safe standing.
(16-03-2023, 08:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

How can this season be worse than the season we got relegated from this very same division using 51 different shyte players through a revolving door. ??!!

This is my 57th season and would not make the top 20 bad ones. It could even mathematically still be a promotion season.

Because circumstances off the pitch meant that we had to do what we had to do. We were lucky to have a club at that stage and what happened on the pitch played 2nd fiddle to the survival of the club. 

What's the eisbers excuse for the repeated mediocrity? It's expectation vs achievement that males this the worst season it's the first season I've ever had to actually think about if its worth continuing supporting the club.
Read the latest News article. Another £7M invested by the owners, bringing it up to £27M
(16-03-2023, 08:41 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-03-2023, 08:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Because circumstances off the pitch meant that we had to do what we had to do. We were lucky to have a club at that stage and what happened on the pitch played 2nd fiddle to the survival of the club. 

What's the eisbers excuse for the repeated mediocrity? It's expectation vs achievement that males this the worst season it's the first season I've ever had to actually think about if it’s worth continuing supporting the club.

Just stop supporting Pompey until we get good again and then jump back on the band wagon then. That way you don’t miss out if we start to actually achieve something and you don’t have to put up with the boredom and disappointment when we are shit. It’s a win, win
It's all about perceptions. For some, what happens on the pitch is the be all and end all. For some it's measured against the recent past and for others it's measured against a long, long history of ups and downs.

One thing is for sure, it's never boring. Pompey innit.
Sorry to say this but some of the posts on here are from the realms of football fantasist -if not outright Naivety.

The club is being managed responsibly and with long term goals.

Sorry for some we can't spin back to the Premiership instantaneously.

However, if you want to join the glory hunters brigade you could always join the Surrey throng and trek up bi-weekly to Old Trafford !
(17-03-2023, 09:28 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to say this but some of the posts on here are from the realms of football fantasist -if not outright Naivety.

However, if you want to join the glory hunters brigade you could always join the Surrey throng and trek up bi-weekly to Old Trafford !

What are the long term goals and what is the duration?

Some of us have aspirations higher than League 1.
Pompey till I die. Started in old Div 2, down to 4th Div, Premier, back to 4th (New 2) and slowly rising. Can’t stop supporting, it’s in the blood.
(17-03-2023, 09:34 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2023, 09:28 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to say this but some of the posts on here are from the realms of football fantasist -if not outright Naivety.

Buy the football club then and magic us out of L1.
(17-03-2023, 09:51 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2023, 09:34 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]

Buy the football club then and magic us out of L1.

We've got owners for that, supposedly.

I guess we'll just sit back and watch the other clubs around us go up and we can plod along hoping we can magically get promoted.
Sorry but we shall; get promoted - sustainably - and then remain inn the Championship before returning - sustainably to the Premier League.

Take a look at any team that has achieved anything from the onset of the premier league and ask whether any of those clubs were "managed responsibly".

Whilst I'm not advocating brankrupting the club with lavish spending, the idea you can get anywhere in professional football and still make a profit is a bit laughable. In Cullens' latest spiel, he tells how the average wage bill is 125% of turnover (somewhere around that figure) but doesn't actually say whether he believes it is possible to break even and get promoted or it can only be one. Does he think the extra drinks kiosks will make that all important difference? 

Nobody buys a football club to make money. That's why so many of them are dickheads. It's usually to show they've either a) got a huge cock, b) they have some money they need laundering c) there's a spot of sports-washing that needs to be done or d) they've identified the potential for asset stripping. Overall, welcoming the new investment as I do, I don't think what they've invested over the last seven years is too excessive. They've protected the fixed assets of the club which they bought for next to nothing.

Hopefully, they will demonstrate some ambition to progress on the field and it's nice that at last we actually have a player over than Curtis which is the subject of a transfer rumour. Seems like ages since we had a player decent enough to attract the attention of a higher league club.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
(16-03-2023, 08:45 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Tee, someone is going to say "brick by brick", following your " by degree" observation.

However, you are right - I think back to the days of Ian St John and wince!

And, the trouble is we all view BETTER in different ways. Because this if football, and we are PFC, some only assess improvement by League position.

As a club we have  moved forward.

Funny you should have mentioned St John, was only discussing his time with us last week with fans in our age group. It was a dark time!
(17-03-2023, 03:24 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Take a look at any team that has achieved anything from the onset of the premier league and ask whether any of those clubs were "managed responsibly".

Whilst I'm not advocating brankrupting the club with lavish spending, the idea you can get anywhere in professional football and still make a profit is a bit laughable. In Cullens' latest spiel, he tells how the average wage bill is 125% of turnover (somewhere around that figure) but doesn't actually say whether he believes it is possible to break even and get promoted or it can only be one. Does he think the extra drinks kiosks will make that all important difference? 

Nobody buys a football club to make money. That's why so many of them are dickheads. It's usually to show they've either a) got a huge cock, b) they have some money they need laundering c) there's a spot of sports-washing that needs to be done or d) they've identified the potential for asset stripping. Overall, welcoming the new investment as I do, I don't think what they've invested over the last seven years is too excessive. They've protected the fixed assets of the club which they bought for next to nothing.

Hopefully, they will demonstrate some ambition to progress on the field and it's nice that at last we actually have a player over than Curtis which is the subject of a transfer rumour. Seems like ages since we had a player decent enough to attract the attention of a higher league club.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
Your last point is an excellent one.

I, personally, couldn’t give a monkey’s toss about the premier league and I’m only half interested in the Championship. It’s just a financial quagmire for so many clubs and I have no wish for Pompey to become embroiled in any of that again. Of course, that is balanced with the natural desire for Pompey to achieve the highest league position possible.
I am quite content with building slowly and sustainably, anything else is folly.
We’re very lucky to have owners who are quite happy to continually pump money into the club and that investment clearly exceeds anything they could hope to recoup if they sold. Their ambition is clear and I’m enjoying the ride.

As to this season, I’ve loved some of it and been bored to tears with too many other bits. I cross my fingers for a grandstand finish, with exciting games, but we’re not good enough to go up. A few additions and some good prospects developing, should see us in better shape for next season.

Pompey life is good, generally.
Pages: 1 2