TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: End of season bottlers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Plymouth bottled a play-off place last season now I wonder if Sheffield W are goiong to do the same with their automatic place. After their defeat to Barnsley last night is there a wobble setting in just as Ipswich and Barnsley below them go into top gear? All the pressure from us Peterboro and Wycombe is mounting on Derby and Bolton. Can we get inside their heads?
It’s a four horse race for automatics with Barnsley pulling themselves up into it after last night. Gonna be interesting. Hope we can keep taking three points, at least to keep the season alive. Wasn’t that impressed with Wednesday when they played us recently tbh. If we stay down probably better that Plymouth do too as the other three are bigger fish and better for us if they go up.
Sounds stupid but we have to keep winning our games to be in with a chance. Goal difference isn't on our side so we have a very small margin for error.

We are just behind the pack heading into the final bend. We have to sprint now.

Bolton is having a lovely wobble though
Derby a little one, too
(22-03-2023, 01:02 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Derby a little one, too

Yes and a nice game for them away to Peterborough on sat.
Maybe a draw better there or we might be chasing Petebro too
Please let Plymouth have a wobble, just enough to slip to 3rd, then when we sneak into 6th it's game on
Not a great record in the playoffs, against Plymouth. They might find it more amusing than us.
Not got a great record in the playoffs, full stop lol
The way it's looking I reckon Sheff Wed & Ipswich will get the automatics (and good riddance to both of them) and Plymouth & Barnsley are certs for the play-offs.  But if previous season patterns are followed then one of Derby & Bolton will get overtaken by one of  Peterborough or us.  Or both by both.

On current form i think it will be harder for us to catch Peterbrough than it will be to catch Bolton, but it is all possible. 

There is a fifth of the season left, and it looks like being the best 5th of the season for us whether we make it or not.
First fifth was pretty good, I think we only lost one. What about Wycombe, Deep? Not counting on them doing anything?
Nope, losing Ainsworth should disrupt them too much.
It's all about squad depths and mentality now. Mostly mentality. It's one thing building a squad with the ability to go up but coaches can't be sure if they are mentally strong enough until it happens because there's no way to train for it. No-one can doubt that Harry Kane is a brilliant forward and a great character but taking a penalty in the quarter finals of a World Cup when you know the nation's hopes rest on it, is something else. For us, it's a walk in the park because expectation is zero anyway.
talking play offs.
Does anyone have a worse record than us?
Swansea are the most successful and Brentford the least.
I think when we have previously entered the play offs we were ending the season in a higher league position.

However, I believe if we, Damn them all, and fight and scrap our way into 6th, with it we will have achieved a resolute fighting mentality.

That alone may have a positive effect - and stranger things have happened ..... !
(22-03-2023, 09:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]talking play offs.
Does anyone have a worse record than us?

Blackpool have the most promotions via the play-offs - five. 

Brentford have failed to get promotion the most times - nine, but have succeeded once. 

But no idea whether anyone can match our record of never winning a single game out of eight tries.
Yes but Deep we may .... just ..... have a Ninth try !
Could end up a damp squib or brilliant and unexpected finale to a tubulent season. As Greavsie used to put it, it's a funny old game.
(23-03-2023, 07:38 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Could end up a damp squib or brilliant and unexpected finale to a tubulent season. As Greavsie used to put it, it's a funny old game.

You’ll get splinters, from sitting on that fence.
I'm moderately pleased that I bought some tickets for Wycombe a while back

It would be nice, one day to see us win a play off game!

and finishing sixth does seem to be the best way to succeed in them.
.....And England won in ITALY first time in very many Decades !
Stanger things !
One game at a time and tomorrow is going to be a tough one without Morrell...we've seen the best of him since Cowley left and the Mouseman came in.
(24-03-2023, 11:16 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]One game at a time and tomorrow is going to be a tough one without Morrell...we've seen the best of him since Cowley left and the Mouseman came in.

But at least Lowery is back fit, played in the Hampshire Cup on Tuesday.
I’d prefer Thompson to replace Morrell, if fit.
Pages: 1 2