TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Port Vale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Been 20+ years since we've played Port Vale at FP. I have vivid memories of us playing them in the Div 4 promotion season under Frankie Burrows. 2-2 at FP in the snow with a brown or orange ball just before Christmas - am sure Kenny Todd (ex Port Vale) scored one of our goals. Then up there midweek, having not won away for about 4 months, we were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2. That win set us up for our promotion run-in ending up with that amazing day out at Northampton! Can also remember us losing 2-0 at Vale Park after 2 red cards left us with 9 men - despite the lack of numbers, we actually had a few decent chances to score.

I always compare Port Vale to Bristol Rovers - similar sized clubs playing second fiddle to their city rivals. Both fanbases in the rougher parts of town. Spent most of their time struggling in the lower reaches of the old div 2 or doing well in the old div 3 but have had a bad run in recent years.

And there's one fact I discovered today.......... Port Vale are the only club among the current 92 to have beaten every single one of the other 91 in a competitive fixture (league and cups).  I'd guess Pompey are very close to matching that - though we've never beaten Sutton or Salford. Maybe there are one or two others who we've played but failed to beat? Does anyone on here know?
(24-03-2023, 11:11 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Been 20+ years since we've played Port Vale at FP. I have vivid memories of us playing them in the Div 4 promotion season under Frankie Burrows. 2-2 at FP in the snow with a brown or orange ball just before Christmas - am sure Kenny Todd (ex Port Vale) scored one of our goals. Then up there midweek, having not won away for about 4 months, we were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2. That win set us up for our promotion run-in ending up with that amazing day out at Northampton! Can also remember us losing 2-0 at Vale Park after 2 red cards left us with 9 men - despite the lack of numbers, we actually had a few decent chances to score.

I always compare Port Vale to Bristol Rovers - similar sized clubs playing second fiddle to their city rivals. Both fanbases in the rougher parts of town. Spent most of their time struggling in the lower reaches of the old div 2 or doing well in the old div 3 but have had a bad run in recent years.

And there's one fact I discovered today.......... Port Vale are the only club among the current 92 to have beaten every single one of the other 91 in a competitive fixture (league and cups).  I'd guess Pompey are very close to matching that - though we've never beaten Sutton or Salford. Maybe there are one or two others who we've played but failed to beat? Does anyone on here know?

Went to the Port Vale away match and really enjoyed it. Spent a couple of hours in a pub with loads of Vale fans (I think it was called the Park Tavern), friendly lot, good beer at a bargain price and we won the match. 

More of the same tomorrow I hope Smile .
First Went there the season pompey were relegated from div 3. Grim town and grim result.
Any ideas what the team will be with two out?
Lowery seems the obvious in for Morrell, with a minder like Thompson along side him.
Scarlett not available is maybe a good thing?

I always wanted to go to Vale and see the unbuilt Wembley of the North, after reading Simon Ingliss' book. Not got there as yet.

and there must be a good chance of Harrison scoring against us!
2.0 Pompey win fingers x
He's done it before. But only when he played for us.
(24-03-2023, 11:30 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Went to the Port Vale away match and really enjoyed it. Spent a couple of hours in a pub with loads of Vale fans (I think it was called the Park Tavern), friendly lot, good beer at a bargain price and we won the match. 

More of the same tomorrow I hope Smile .

That sounds like the perfect away fixture.
I’ve got my quid one bishop and Harrison both to score today
(25-03-2023, 11:53 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Lowery seems the obvious in for Morrell, with a minder like Thompson along side him.
Scarlett not available is maybe a good thing?

I always wanted to go to Vale and see the unbuilt Wembley of the North, after reading Simon Ingliss' book. Not got there as yet.

and there must be a good chance of Harrison scoring against us!

An excellent book as is his "Football Grounds of Europe". That one always reminds me of listening to "Sport on 2" when I was a nipper, with its intro music and commo from Peter Jones, Bryon Butler, Mike Ingham - "tonight describing the action live from the Estadio de Luz" etc ...
Harrison will get nothing. A striker made for Raggett to deal with.
Don't tempt fate, Cunni