TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Mousinho
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The season is now officially over, so it is reasonable to review Mousinho's performance. Things have improved since Cowley left, but there are still worrying aspects.

The players are playing for him and he has done a better job of putting round pegs in round holes. He also brought in Towler and Macey to stiffen up the defence.

On the down side, his commitment to Dale is baffling and he even seems to want to sign him. He also seems to have time for Scarlett,although, fortunately, that hasn't translated into too much game time. His belief in Pigott is higher than Cowley's, but it is still limited. Having now seen enough of him, it is clear he does still have the ability he had at Wimbledon. He also has Cowley's belief in tippy-tappy football at the back and getting that players to instinctively play back rather than forwards, missing attacking options.

Overall, is he better than Cowley, probably, is he good enough, probably not.
We have no one else to play in dales position since lane got injured l. He’s also not going to say we aren’t signing him as he May down tools!?

Playing pigott behind bishop worked well until he got his red and I’d imagine he starts Monday
I don't see any worries personally.

I've been pretty impressed with him - not perfect, but then what manager is?

If we improve the squad over the summer then I think he is capable of getting the team into the playoffs.
But aren't you judging him on a squad that was until Mousinho arrived underperforming practically every week? If so then I'd say that while he hasn't yet made a silk purse out of the pig's ear he inherited, he's still done a decent job of turning things around.

I know it's a cliché, but we'll be better able to judge him when he has a fully fit squad (like that'll ever happen) and he has more of the players he wants in through the door.

OK, it's not been great, but the last few months have been so much better than watching Cowley's turgid interpretation of the game.
Big summer for Hughes and the Eisners I don’t think they can have another poor transfer window but no more of Cowley saying better value at the end! Personally I think we have a good squad and season next year.
Judge him after three transfer windows please
He’s miles better than DC and he doesn’t spout constant bullshit.
(08-04-2023, 08:57 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Judge him after three transfer windows please

Groundhog Day
(08-04-2023, 08:57 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Judge him after three transfer windows please

Isn’t Hughes doing the transfers?
The way we set up after half time yesterday was very worrying.
We added an extra defender and abandoned midfield, just inviting a team in quite good form to attack us in our own box which was never going to end well.
Even more annoying was that as soon as we conceded we got back into the game, attacking the ball in midfield and looked as likely to score next as MK.
Its very much not the manager's fault that we had a man sent off, but the response was worrying and showed his lack of experience,
(08-04-2023, 06:22 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]The season is now officially over, so it is reasonable to review Mousinho's performance. Things have improved since Cowley left, but there are still worrying aspects.

The players are playing for him and he has done a better job of putting round pegs in round holes. He also brought in Towler and Macey to stiffen up the defence.

On the down side, his commitment to Dale is baffling and he even seems to want to sign him. He also seems to have time for Scarlett,although, fortunately, that hasn't translated into too much game time. His belief in Pigott is higher than Cowley's, but it is still limited. Having now seen enough of him, it is clear he does still have the ability he had at Wimbledon. He also has Cowley's belief in tippy-tappy football at the back and getting that players to instinctively play back rather than forwards, missing attacking options.

Overall, is he better than Cowley, probably, is he good enough, probably not.

A few points of fact:
1. The season is not officially over. And even UNofficially, where there is the possibility, there is hope. We would never forgive the players if they gave up before it was mathematically impossible, so why should we?
2. Mousihno v Cowley is not debatable. 
Cowley     - 43.3% win ratio
Mousinho - 52.9%

It's not even a contest.
if we are focussed on win ratios .....
(08-04-2023, 08:04 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Big summer for Hughes and the Eisners I don’t think they can have another poor transfer window but no more of Cowley saying better value at the end! Personally I think we have a good squad and season next year.

??? Dont hold your breathe..!  With a unexperieced manager and un experienced DOF going in to the transfer market...what could possibly go wrong. ? 

Come August my optimisim will return and then on we can judge JM on his own team.."Squad of players"
(20-04-2023, 10:34 AM)Mark_Hateley_83 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2023, 08:04 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Big summer for Hughes and the Eisners I don’t think they can have another poor transfer window but no more of Cowley saying better value at the end! Personally I think we have a good squad and season next year.

??? Dont hold your breathe..!  With a unexperieced manager and un experienced DOF going in to the transfer market...what could possibly go wrong. ? 

Come August my optimisim will return and then on we can judge JM on his own team.."Squad of players"

What players that Hughes has bought in do you have a problem with?

Why did you put squad of players in speech marks?
Just as with a player, I see Mousinho as an asset that can appreciate in value and be sold for a profit.

He may not be Guardiola and be may have his foibles, but as long as he gets us promoted and I am not bored shitless in the process then I don't care.
not being bored shitless would be key

Even Cook was losing the crowd before the players revolt
I don’t care how we get promoted as long as we do.

Winning football is entertaining.
(20-04-2023, 02:31 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t care how we get promoted as long as we do.

Kenny Jacket
I guess Cowley might have mad us appreciate Kenny's approach a little more
When we were boring (?) but just about top scorers in the leagues
He needs another half-season IMHO.
(08-04-2023, 06:22 AM)TPB Wrote: [ -> ]The players are playing for him and he has done a better job of putting round pegs in round holes. He also brought in Towler and Macey to stiffen up the defence.

Towler was brought in by Hughes before Mousinho got the job
(20-04-2023, 02:40 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-04-2023, 02:31 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t care how we get promoted as long as we do.

Kenny Jacket

I prefer that to entertaining losing football any day of the week.
(20-04-2023, 03:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Kenny Jacket

Shame you weren't born in Highbury in the 80's then. You would have loved watching Arsenal!
(20-04-2023, 08:05 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-04-2023, 03:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Kenny Jacket

Shame you weren't born in Highbury in the 80's then. You would have loved watching Arsenal!

That's one of those posts that really makes you think. Arsenal better to watch, went nowhere, Pompey awful to watch, went nowhere. So that choice then comes down to being born in Highbury in the 80's. PUP.