TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: New Low
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Get Conor back, scores for fun
(11-04-2023, 09:43 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 08:50 AM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]If we'd just done the obvious, started with Bish and Pig and replaced one of them with Scarlett after an hour every time we could, we'd be in the play offs.

Dane Scarlett would not get us promoted lol, he’s useless.

To be fair, I was more interested in the Bish and Pig for an hour bit.
I've not seen a lot different under Mousinho than Cowley. Of the players brought in in January only Towler had an impact and he's now dropped. So we're back in 'he needs three windows' mode after which we'll probably be still faffing around as now.
It still comes down to the fact that football is supposed to entertain and there's only so many Morecambe and FGR games any supporter can tolerate however diehard. I'd rather see kamikaze 3-4 defeats than endless 0-0s against the second bottom side.
(11-04-2023, 12:47 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]I've not seen a lot different under Mousinho than Cowley. Of the players brought in in January only Towler had an impact and he's now dropped. So we're back in 'he needs three windows' mode after which we'll probably be still faffing around as now.
It still comes down to the fact that football is supposed to entertain and there's only so many Morecambe and FGR games any supporter can tolerate however diehard. I'd rather see kamikaze 3-4 defeats than endless 0-0s against the second bottom side.

In that case you're saying you'll be happy seeing us in the non-league because that's where kamikaze football leads you.
We have definitely been better under John which is born out by the points we've attained since he took over.

It has now flat-lined as there is basically nothing to play for and ultimately there is a lack of quality in the team - hence us being mid-table.

The team needs investment and Mousinho deserves a proper go at it.

Can't criticise him too much when he's managing someone else's team.

Next year is a big year.
(11-04-2023, 01:18 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]We have definitely been better under John which is born out by the points we've attained since he took over.

It has now flat-lined as there is basically nothing to play for and ultimately there is a lack of quality in the team - hence us being mid-table.

Next year is a big year.

"Next year is a big year"

Lather, rinse, repeat  Smile
(11-04-2023, 01:18 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]We have definitely been better under John which is born out by the points we've attained since he took over.

Next year is a big year.

I don't think we've been significantly better since the Cowleys. I just think we've upped the effort. But FGR, MK and Morecambe have all taught us that the players are just not good enough. Morecambe reminded me (yet again) of Accrington last game of the season. They had a job to do, an opportunity to take, and they just didn't turn up. Any hint of pressure, they capitulate. Any decent defence, they run out of ideas.

Id just like to see players that can cross the ball accurately. And a winger that takes on a player (when's the last time you've heard the phrase "skin him" at FP? We don't have either.

I don't mind Mousinho but yet again we are experimenting. Hoping to be that club that unearths a new manager that's destined for the big time.  I'm more positive about the new season because the Eisner's can't hide behind the stadium spending and will have to actually spend some money for the first time in a long time.
I disagree the players aren't good enough. They failed to score, yesterday, because the manager decided to pick a forward line in which two of the three players made no worthwhile contribution. The back eight players were OK.
(11-04-2023, 01:47 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree the players aren't good enough. They failed to score, yesterday, because the manager decided to pick a forward line in which two of the three players made no worthwhile contribution. The back eight players were OK.

With respect, a neutral observer wouldn't have noticed that Morecambe lay second from bottom in the league. Yet, they were clearly motivated to stay up and actually missed a sitter (not covered in the news report) to win the game. In comparison, you wouldn't have thought that we were battling for a play off position and the chance to get promoted. I disagree that it was all down to two poorly performing forwards. Our midfield was non-existent. Our wingers were unable to take on a player and beat them. All of them need to stop the ball dead before deciding to do anything with it (I accept this might be a L1 trait in general). No creativity.

Basically, our squad has shown time and again this season (and others) that it isn't up for a fight. It's probably one of the main reasons why we have so far failed to beat a single team away from home in the top 10.
The smart thing to do would be to have Warnock in with Mousinio. And use the rest of the season as a hand over. Neil could step in and tell Moose each time he was ballsing up tactics & selection.

But we don't do the smart thing. We do the cheap thing.
(11-04-2023, 01:28 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]

Next year is a big year.

"Next year is a big year"

Lather, rinse, repeat  Smile

True.

I'm just hoping it will actually Big Grin
(11-04-2023, 11:04 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 10:50 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 10:44 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 09:44 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 08:59 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Warnock is just doing it for fun now, money isn’t a problem for him.

He always wanted this job and would have come in a heartbeat if we’d offered it to him.

He wouldn’t have tolerated yesterday’s limp shambles that’s for sure.

Lol so his book is free and he’s not being paid by Huddersfield?

What a daft comment, where did I say he shouldn’t be paid?

I’m just saying that he is not short of a few bob and is really only managing as a hobby. When you get to his age money isn’t everything, obviously you need some but you can’t take it with you can you?

As daft as your comment. We couldn’t have afforded him.

I suppose Arry is doing Bet Victor ads as a hobby?

Of course we could have afforded him and it would have been a great investment.

He wouldn’t have been in the budget so no we couldn’t have afforded him. I know you think he gets paid in fresh air to do his hobby but it really doesn’t work like that.
(11-04-2023, 12:47 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]I've not seen a lot different under Mousinho than Cowley. Of the players brought in in January only Towler had an impact and he's now dropped. So we're back in 'he needs three windows' mode after which we'll probably be still faffing around as now.

We aren’t in a relegation battle so it’s clearly better than under DC
(11-04-2023, 02:49 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]The smart thing to do would be to have Warnock in with Mousinio. And use the rest of the season as a hand over. Neil could step in and tell Moose each time he was ballsing up tactics & selection.

But we don't do the smart thing. We do the cheap thing.

Lol
Dale clearly has a do not drop clause in his loan deal.
Bearing in mind that we blew most of our budget on loans and they have all been pretty much awful or unused apart from the one made after Cowley was sacked.
Don't get me wrong the bloke is an idiot we all agree on that, but you could hear as pin drop yesterday with long silences. When he and his drummer mates are there the atmosphere is constantly going. Yesterday was embarrassing for a club that prides itself for great vocal support. Somebody has to step up and start the singing, which actually happened for a five minute spell, then went back to silence. At one e stage 150 Morecambe fans outsung us !!! We know the football is poor but we still need to give vocal support.
I think that the support you mentioned originated in the North Stand - one nipper was particularly animated.

Be prepared to be shouted down by those who think he and the drums contribute nothing to the Fratton experience.
given time and encouragement the younger fans might actually take a lead. Last time we had a ST in the fration End, everytime the younger fans in the left hand side started a song, the drums instantly drowned them out
Go back 50 seasons and it was lower then. Only 20 years after being the best in England - Sub 10,000 gates and no money.
Well it’s nothing compared to our lows under Richie Barker but it is a low and it is new so I guess I will agree with you on that Exgaffer
If only Lowery would have slotted one of his first half chances we could be having a different conversation right now
Disappointment wise it ranks up there but still behind our non performance against Accrington to make the playoffs when the Cowley’s first took over
Also crowd lows in the 1990’s were way worse. Season crowd averages between 9,500 and 8,500 were the norm back then
(12-04-2023, 09:26 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Also crowd lows in the 1990’s were way worse. Season crowd averages between 9,500 and 8,500 were the norm back then

Wowee you must be a nipper, it was 7 or 8,000 back in the 70s. I think there was even a 5, one game, before John Deacon came in.
(12-04-2023, 11:45 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2023, 09:26 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Also crowd lows in the 1990’s were way worse. Season crowd averages between 9,500 and 8,500 were the norm back then

Wowee you must be a nipper, it was 7 or 8,000 back in the 70s. I think there was even a 5, one game, before John Deacon came in.

Yeah I’m 42 so wasn’t born in the 1970’s
Pages: 1 2 3