TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Playing rules that have been quietly dropped
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of on-pitch football rules that were followed for a season and quietly forgotten. Feel free to add any that I can't think of at the moment...

1. Goalkeepers have to release the ball within 3 seconds.
2. Players preventing a quickly taken free kick gets a yellow card (a particularly regular occurrence nowadays)
3. Players showing dissent penalised with a free kick 10 yards further up the pitch.
4. All teams playing against an opposition that is managed by Derek Adams must wear a special shirt with the words "Derek Adams is a talentless, moaning kunt" embossed on it. (okay made that one up)

All of the above, actually made things a bit better and players got used to it so why are they no longer applied? Are they even in the rule book any more?
1. It's 6 seconds isn't it?
I thought it was 6.

It would not be hard if FIFA / The FA wanted to clean up the game but for whatever reason they don't want to.
Foul Throws. When was the last time you saw a ref or lino flag for a foul throw.
In the world cup, there were some bloody awful throw in's like you would see at an under tens match. None of them were pulled up.
Why have the rule and not implement it on the pitch?
(11-04-2023, 02:00 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking of on-pitch football rules that were followed for a season and quietly forgotten. Feel free to add any that I can't think of at the moment...

1. Goalkeepers have to release the ball within 3 seconds.
2. Players preventing a quickly taken free kick gets a yellow card (a particularly regular occurrence nowadays)
3. Players showing dissent penalised with a free kick 10 yards further up the pitch.
4. All teams playing against an opposition that is managed by Derek Adams must wear a special shirt with the words "Derek Adams is a talentless, moaning kunt" embossed on it. (okay made that one up)

All of the above, actually made things a bit better and players got used to it so why are they no longer applied? Are they even in the rule book any more?

No 1 is 6 seconds, as Jizbag points out, and yes it does seem to have been quietly forgotten.  It is still in the laws of the game though.

No 2 is still a yellow card offence and still enforced (but maybe not as often as it should be) 

No 3 was a trial, never adopted as a law of the game. 

No 4 is bound to come in next year
2. It must be so tempting for the free kick taker to take a few steps back and then run up, leathering it as hard as possible at the groin/face of the blocker. Entirely within the rules.

Seem to remember some primadonna getting it full in the face from trying to block a throw (Giroud, Xhaka ?).
Add to that list:

Proper drop balls when the hardest players from both clubs could get away with kicking lumps out of each other

Teams running out separately so the visitors got a hostile reception

Continue playing when players had a knock - unless it was a head injury

Shoulder charges - especially on goalies

Referees always wearing black

Immediate changing of ends to restart play at half time of extra time

Indirect Free kicks given for obstruction
For the life of me I cannot understand why refs stop the game for players that go down with non-head injuries. That is NOT in the rules.
(11-04-2023, 03:28 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Add to that list:

Proper drop balls when the hardest players from both clubs could get away with kicking lumps out of each other

Teams running out separately so the visitors got a hostile reception

Continue playing when players had a knock - unless it was a head injury

Shoulder charges - especially on goalies

Referees always wearing black

Immediate changing of ends to restart play at half time of extra time

Indirect Free kicks given for obstruction

Drop balls were changed as a result of Danny Rose breaking his leg at Fratton Park. 

And obstruction is still an indirect free kick but called 'impeding the progress of a player'.
Great original post.
My one rule change would be that you can mix and match kits in order to play your main colours when ever possible. Apparently being unable to play different colour shorts or socks makes it easy for clubs to play the "away kits" to keep Nike and the like profitable.
oh and another
ban drinks breaks or bring in official time outs. It gets like cricket out there at times.
I thought that players being replaced were obliged to leave the field at the nearest touchline. Has that changed?

Talking of touchlines - the opposition player yesterday who was injured in a tackle and was physically off the pitch. Play on, surely?

Not if you roll 3 times back into play in order to hold up the game, apparently. Then he was substituted!

At the very least that's ungentlemanly conduct and a caution.

Zilch!
'Playing Rules that have been quietly dropped' 

Trying to score
We've adopted one from rugby about not being allowed to pass forwards.
(11-04-2023, 06:01 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Great original post.
My one rule change would be that you can mix and match kits in order to play your main colours when ever possible. Apparently being unable to play different colour shorts or socks makes it easy for clubs to play the "away kits" to keep Nike and the like profitable.

I noticed on Monday that both Pompey & Morecambe wore white shorts, which I thought had been outlawed. Certainly very rare these days if not against any actual rules.