TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Next season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's a huge one for the Eisners. They have to show their true intent and give JM a top 4 budget imho. I'm amazed at the size of the gates we're still getting considering the football on display. But I'll be surprised if it continues next season if we're still mid table. I sometimes wonder if the owners actually realise the size of the club they own.
They don't. And that's a huge part of it.

We are barely in a better position this year over last. We at least own 1 striker but the way Cullen has been talking, he'll be off to the highest bidder.

Our defence remains (in an Alan Hanson accent) absolutely shocking.
Our midfield could be confused with the cast of snow White.

Serious work needs doing to the squad. And even then, we've got a manager still wet behind the ears, with no-one of any experience of a successful L1 promotion to help him.

It's fine though. Because we are lucky to have a club.
I would forget about a top 4 budget, these said enough times now that’s not going to happen.

Any season with DC in charge was going to be a disaster. We won’t be recruiting loans in key positions and have a decent recruitment set up now.

Let’s see where we are at Xmas but I am lot more optimistic for next season than I was for this.
We can all see that it is the beginning of a new cycle. It takes them at least two seasons to figure it out so next year will be another dead rubber. Looking forward to the ST sales reflecting that. It's the only thing that will translate into US English.
If we want more money to be spent are we prepared for higher ST prices?
I'm usually Mr Optimist on here but I tend to beleive the posts above saying it might not still happen for us next year. This was the year for JM to snatch that play-off place. No pressure, no expectation and the opportunity there for the taking in the last two games. 
Next year will be a completely different situation for him to handle - HIS budget, HIS (and Hughes') signings, HIS season = HIS responsibility to get us up. We'll see how he handles that. 
If it doesn't happen next season, I'm afraid when or if it eventually does, it will be a case of.....meh.
The Eisners think that the sporting director and first team coach model will deliver results. If it doesn’t will they want to hang around and take the flak and the damage to their reputation?

Would you?
(11-04-2023, 03:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]They don't. And that's a huge part of it.

We are barely in a better position this year over last. We at least own 1 striker but the way Cullen has been talking, he'll be off to the highest bidder.

Serious work needs doing to the squad. And even then, we've got a manager still wet behind the ears, with no-one of any experience of a successful L1 promotion to help him.

I disagree with you about our defence. Rafferty Raggett Towler & Ogilvie are more than good enough for this division, you can also add Swanson to that list. All the defence needs is a decent GK and another CB to replace Robertson. 

In midfield if Mingi signs a new contract all we really need are replacements for Tunnicliffe and Thompson and hopefully it’s an attacking midfielder over 5’9”.

Up front another striker and 3 wide players to supplement Lane ( I’m assuming Curtis and Jacobs will go and more than hoping one of the replacements won’t be Dale.
(12-04-2023, 11:28 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2023, 03:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]They don't. And that's a huge part of it.

I disagree with you about our defence. Rafferty Raggett Towler & Ogilvie are more than good enough for this division, you can also add Swanson to that list. All the defence needs is a decent GK and another CB to replace Robertson. 

In midfield if Mingi signs a new contract all we really need are replacements for Tunnicliffe and Thompson and hopefully it’s an attacking midfielder over 5’9”.

Up front another striker and 3 wide players to supplement Lane ( I’m assuming Curtis and Jacobs will go and more than hoping one of the replacements won’t be Dale.

I don't see the fuss with mingi. He only turns up when his family watches a game.
(12-04-2023, 08:58 AM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]The Eisners think that the sporting director and first team coach model will deliver results. If it doesn’t will they want to hang around and take the flak and the damage to their reputation?

Would you?

Personally I think Mr Mousinho has been a very lucky boy in being given his first managerial position at a club like us. It may turn out to be that he's the new messiah  and we're lucky to have him in which case happy days for everyone. If he doesn't like 'the model' he was offered then he could always toddle off and see if he can find a better offer elsewhere but I doubt it. Otherwise he needs to get his head down and get on with the job in hand which I'm pretty sure is what he is doing.
(12-04-2023, 03:40 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2023, 08:58 AM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]The Eisners think that the sporting director and first team coach model will deliver results. If it doesn’t will they want to hang around and take the flak and the damage to their reputation?

Would you?

Personally I think Mr Mousinho has been a very lucky boy in being given his first managerial position at a club like us. It may turn out to be that he's the new messiah  and we're lucky to have him in which case happy days for everyone. If he doesn't like 'the model' he was offered then he could always toddle off and see if he can find a better offer elsewhere but I doubt it. Otherwise he needs to get his head down and get on with the job in hand which I'm pretty sure is what he is doing.

So far Mousinho has done really well for us considering the circumstances. He hit the ground running with those initial wins. Record to date: Played 18, won 9, drawn 5, lost 4 = 32 pts. PPG = 1.77 which would be 81pts for the season, easily enough for a play off place. Bodes well for next season with the right recruitment in the summer t/w.

As a side note I think Cowley was lucky to have Baz as keeper. Kept him in a job that he would have been booted out of a lot sooner.
regarding Baz
it also allowed him to continue with the expensive and unproductive use of high priced loans.
Not sure you can call it luck when Cowley went all to to get him and took the decision to upset Bass and the fanbase by playing him.  I'd call that decision making, not luck.
(13-04-2023, 04:19 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure you can call it luck when Cowley went all to to get him and took the decision to upset Bass and the fanbase by playing him.  I'd call that decision making, not luck.

Although whether it was in the long term advantage of pompey.... ?
The Eisners reputation...after six years that's a hard one to get your head around.
Teams coming down next season are skint. Good opportunity for an even handed promotion contest next year without someone buying one of the spaces
If the Champ finances are as bad as reported, with any luck most relegated teams will be broke or carrying a point penalty for the forseeable future. All sounds like a disaster waiting to implode
Blackpool relegated.
and they rarely have a lot of cash to splash about
The only thing is will Wigan do what they always do? Spend a stupid amount of money to get promoted and then not be able to afford to pay them again the next season then get a points deduction and then get relegated back to league one again. Just for the cycle to happen again.
(12-04-2023, 03:25 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2023, 11:28 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't see the fuss with mingi. He only turns up when his family watches a game.
He's average at best
Probably the fastest player we’ve got. Not played much but has often waltzed past players like they’re not there. Could go on to better things, I’d keep if he wants to stay. Deep, what’s his contract situation, cos another year to see if he can stay fit might be the way to go imo
(29-04-2023, 08:46 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the fastest player we’ve got. Not played much but has often waltzed past players like they’re not there. Could go on to better things, I’d keep if he wants to stay. Deep, what’s his contract situation, cos another year to see if he can stay fit might be the way to go imo

He's out of contract this summer, and I've not seen any mention of any option to extend. 

So if we want to keep him we have to negotiate a brand new contract with what sounds like a difficult agent in the face of interest from championship clubs. 

I think we know how that is likely to end  (if the interest is genuine). 

He is potentially a decent player but not good enough, or reliable enough fitness wise, to be worth making him one of the better paid players in the squad IMO.  And if we want to match championship clubs that is what he would have to be.
(29-04-2023, 09:01 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2023, 08:46 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the fastest player we’ve got. Not played much but has often waltzed past players like they’re not there. Could go on to better things, I’d keep if he wants to stay. Deep, what’s his contract situation, cos another year to see if he can stay fit might be the way to go imo

He's out of contract this summer, and I've not seen any mention of any option to extend. 

So if we want to keep him we have to negotiate a brand new contract with what sounds like a difficult agent in the face of interest from championship clubs. 

He is potentially a decent player but not good enough, or reliable enough fitness wise, to be worth making him one of the better paid players in the squad IMO.  And if we want to match championship clubs that is what he would have to be.

I believe we offered him one last year and the agent want more as he had championship interest. I’m not bothered if he goes or not
(29-04-2023, 09:17 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2023, 09:01 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe we offered him one last year and the agent want more as he had championship interest. I’m not bothered if he goes or not

He has a contract he’ll sign if he’s going to play football.
Pages: 1 2