TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Thank God it's over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is going to be a monumental summer for our club. If the manager is given the backing financially to bring in the players that befit a club of our size. Only players to keep in my opinion are Bishop ,ogilvie , Rafferty, Towler, Swanson, Pack, Macey, Lane, Lowery, the rest I would gladly get rid of. We shall see what ambition the owners have PUP ?
They've put their hands in their pockets for the last two managers.

Let's hope this time when they do it, we don't waste it on shit expensive loans.
If we don’t sign 5 £10m players the Yanks can fuck off.
It sounds like we are not going down the expensive loans (who don't want to drop out of the champ anyhow) route.
I agree with that list
Apart from Morrell I’d keep him
I would keep Morrell, he’ll have to learn to control himself though. Not been too impressed with Macey lately, awful distribution too.
if we get a big enough offer for Morrell it might be worth taking and spending. Keep Lowery or Morrell, not sure we can have both on the pitch together.
Our manager has shown he doesn't really know what he is doing. Some very dodgy team selections, tactics and lack of subs, in addition to an inability to motivate the players to get the wins needed.

Next year is going to be shit.
Next year be no different folks . L1 here to stay
I'm afraid I tend to agree with the above posts........this is beginning to look like Cowley Mark ll. Three windows, anyone?
I like JM but there are no 3 windows for any manager, we need to be top 6 at xmas.

Current team selection is based in large on the players signed by Cowley, you can’t polish a turd.
...And what players were available.
(19-04-2023, 06:30 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]I like JM but there are no 3 windows for any manager, we need to be top 6 at xmas.

Current team selection is based in large on the players signed by Cowley, you can’t polish a turd.

Totally agree with your first sentence. The worrying sign is that these turds ARE capable of doing the business - but not consistently over a season. To me, that points to a motivational/ management problem. I think if we had acted more quickly and got Ferguson in, we would currently be in Peterborough's position. I actually rate our squad better than theirs it just required the right person in charge.  No more Mr Nice Guys!
(19-04-2023, 06:04 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]...this is beginning to look like Cowley Mark ll.

If you'd said that a month ago I'd have probably disagreed, but not now having witnessed the last six games.  When Cowley came in he promised fast, pressing attacking football and all we got over his time was slow, negative insipid football.  I know Mousinho is playing with the hand dealt to him but despite his 'on the front foot attacking football' claims, the team has reverted to type.

I don't know what the fuck convinced me to keep travelling to games recently but seeing it first hand you realise that the players generally can't be arsed to exert themselves, and that the manager doesn't seem to have it in him to change formation or tactics to counter things when the opposition has sussed us out.  I thought Saturday was bad but last night...

Thankfully I'll miss the last three games but it's going to take a lot to convince me to travel across the country next season unless there's a sea change in recruitment and the way the manager sets out the team.  Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen.
It feels very much like we can expect build from the back and sideways boredom once more.
I hope to be proved wrong, very much, but there does not seem to be much original thinking in the younger cohort of managers.
The problem is they try to follow the top clubs by playing out; but dont have the quality of player to do it , best to lump it up and get some runners after it , at least that way we wont get caught in possession at the back and might even score a goal, I'm always on edge whenever we do the playing out routine,high press by the opposition and we concede... but hey-ho what do we as fans know? sometimes I think a lot more
I remember 2 forwards at home and away always. Bollocks to possession football, get the ball wide and in the box with players in there as often as possible. Football these days is turgid.
(19-04-2023, 02:20 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I remember 2 forwards at home and away always. Bollocks to possession football, get the ball wide and in the box with players in there as often as possible. Football these days is turgid.

Fucking right.

It stands to reason that the more times you get the ball in the box and the more chances you create the more goals you score, that is the purpose of the game after all. Not to mention the entertainment value of course.

As you know, I also think you should leave at least one player upfield for opposition corners, thereby getting rid of at least two attacking threats.

On top of that I think teams should mix up the playing it out from the back with pushing up the field and the long ball.

I’d also get rid of all the keeper punching the ball nonsense, which creates much more danger. If the keeper tries to catch the ball he might drop it once in a while but punching, which results in unpredictable direction of travel, is far more dangerous imo. There is the added bonus that the keeper gains quick control of the ball and can initiate a quick attack.

Modern football should move back from the tablet to the pitch where it belongs.
To be fair if they don't back him I'd walk if I were JM.

Expectations high, patience very thin.

He's said he needs lots of players to compete.

Why stay if you're not given the tools to succeed?

Hopefully they will spend but he must know things will get nasty pretty quickly next year if we don't start well.
(19-04-2023, 08:20 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair if they don't back him I'd walk if I were JM.

Expectations high, patience very thin.

He's said he needs lots of players to compete.

Why stay if you're not given the tools to succeed?

Hopefully they will spend but he must know things will get nasty pretty quickly next year if we don't start well.

They’ve always backed the manager, it’s how the manager spends it.
(19-04-2023, 02:39 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-04-2023, 02:20 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I remember 2 forwards at home and away always. Bollocks to possession football, get the ball wide and in the box with players in there as often as possible. Football these days is turgid.

Fucking right.

It stands to reason that the more times you get the ball in the box and the more chances you create the more goals you score, that is the purpose of the game after all. Not to mention the entertainment value of course.

As you know, I also think you should leave at least one player upfield for opposition corners, thereby getting rid of at least two attacking threats.

On top of that I think teams should mix up the playing it out from the back with pushing up the field and the long ball.

I’d also get rid of all the keeper punching the ball nonsense, which creates much more danger. If the keeper tries to catch the ball he might drop it once in a while but punching, which results in unpredictable direction of travel, is far more dangerous imo. There is the added bonus that the keeper gains quick control of the ball and can initiate a quick attack.

Modern football should move back from the tablet to the pitch where it belongs.
The one thing I would add, is we need players in the box as well....
If we genuinely want to have a go at promotion we need to upgrade almost every position. At a minimum we need to sign:

Keeper - how the fook have we gone from owning 2 good keepers to owning just 1 nipper who isn't ready. We need to pray that Macey wants to stay.

2 CB's. Goodbye Sean. You were average/shit. Goodbye Robertson you are made out of bogroll and toothpicks.

2 CM's over 6ft that can tackle pass and not get injured

2 wingers. Goodbye Ronan, you're nowhere near as good as you think you are. Goodbye Dale, you are a white Bennett.

2 strikers. Where the fook are we going to find these when we wont pay more than 5k a week?

I wouldnt be fussed if we binned the entire starting line up for Oxford. Total fooking shit from 1*-11

And I am very much concerned with our manager. Not a scoobydoo of how to manage a 3 game week. Or keep the players interested for longer than you can say "benidorm"

So it's another summer where I feel we are in an even worse state than we were the year before. And last summer was a total farce. Jesus wept.

*I'd probably let off Macey.
Don’t slit your wrists. Remember this is league one and we are Pompey, innit. Apart from a couple of years with Bally and the Redknapp years we’ve spent most of the last 50 down with the minnows. Look where punching way above our weight got us, 10 minutes away from being wound up.
The team:
Macey, good but not the panacea as his distribution is average. Ollie might be anything.
Back four- Rafferty, Raggett, Towler and Ogilvie look solid enough to win promotion. Bernard has looked no better than anything we’ve already got, Man U? You’re having a laugh. Agreed that Robertson is too fragile and Hume lacks pace although both have cultured left feet. We need better backup.
Midfield- Lowery, Pack, Morrell, Thompson and Mingi look decent enough to me if they can stay fit, stay on the pitch and the manager can get the right combo.
Up front- Bishop has shown he can get 20 a season although several pens in there. His hold up play is average as his first touch often lets him down. He’s had little support to be fair and playing with Dale must make you feel suicidal. Keep him but get him some help.
Pigott, Dale and Scarlett will all go back hopefully. Never seen such a frustrating player as Dale- wait, we had Marquis. Scarlett playing wide has been a disaster too, he might be good but we can’t wait for him. Hackett could be a fringe sub, not much more. He can cross and shoot but doesn’t quite convince. I like Curtis and his goals to games speak for themselves for a winger but he’s not got the most pace and that was before his injury. Lane could also be anything. He’s young and learning.
I reckon with 4 good signings and more luck on the injury front we’ll have a top six team next season. We have the basis of a good team and were top after 9 games this year. Then the wheels fell off when we lost Lowery, Rafferty, Thompson and later Curtis, Mingi, Robertson, Hume and of course Reid who could also be anything.
Don’t sell Raggett as he hasn’t missed five minutes in about three years, he’s literally never injured despite being the one who most puts himself on the line.
(19-04-2023, 11:32 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]If we genuinely want to have a go at promotion we need to upgrade almost every position. At a minimum we need to sign:

Keeper - how the fook have we gone from owning 2 good keepers to owning just 1 nipper who isn't ready. We need to pray that Macey wants to stay.

2 CB's. Goodbye Sean. You were average/shit. Goodbye Robertson you are made out of bogroll and toothpicks.

2 CM's over 6ft that can tackle pass and not get injured

2 wingers. Goodbye Ronan, you're nowhere near as good as you think you are. Goodbye Dale, you are a white Bennett.

2 strikers. Where the fook are we going to find these when we wont pay more than 5k a week?

I wouldnt be fussed if we binned the entire starting line up for Oxford. Total fooking shit from 1*-11

And I am very much concerned with our manager. Not a scoobydoo of how to manage a 3 game week. Or keep the players interested for longer than you can say "benidorm"

So it's another summer where I feel we are in an even worse state than we were the year before. And last summer was a total farce. Jesus wept.

*I'd probably let off Macey.

The answer to the keeper mess is DC - and Josh has less than 2 months left on his contract.

We got Colby within our budget (not that you know what that is) so not sure why you are panicking about that.
Pages: 1 2