TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Playing out from the back or how to shoot yourself in the foot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It just doesn't work especially with ungifted centre backs. Maguire gifted Sevilla a goal tonight which more or less saw them through to the final. Hopefully we'll abandon it for ever as Macey has shown he's not Beckenbauer and we've conceded several goals by trying it this year.
It ain’t complicated. Play two up front with one staying in and around the box rather than running all over the pitch as an extra midfielder and get wingers and or midfielders that can get the ball into areas that can be exploited. If that means going more direct so be it.
(21-04-2023, 05:30 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]It ain’t complicated. Play two up front with one staying in and around the box rather than running all over the pitch as an extra midfielder and get wingers and or midfielders that can get the ball into areas that can be exploited. If that means going more direct so be it.

Absolutely. Football is a simple game made complicated by modern coaches, who have all been indoctrinated while training for their coaching badges.

They are turning a great game into a Yank style mess of formations and statistics. Sone of the anoraks on here get taken in by all that bollox too. They know all the jargon but fuck all about how to play the game.

Good footballers know how to play the game, good managers don’t bog them down with too many instructions, they just get the best players they can afford for the different positions and let them play. Ability should not be stifled by too many fancy tactics and instructions ffs.
Personally I'd rather watch clever football in and around the opposing penalty area not in ours.

It'll work when we're all robots and then you can expect nothing but goalless draws 'cos they'll cancel each other out.
and as we have seen, they do cancel each other out. Hence 4 draws on the trot against poor teams.
Probably why I'm sitting here watching old reruns of the BigMatch rather than highlights from last night. Players going all out to attack the other end, with the odd head butt (Kenny Burns) thrown in for a bit of light entertainment.
HAMMIE wrote
"and as we have seen, they do cancel each other out. Hence 4 draws on the trot against poor teams.
Probably why I'm sitting here watching old reruns of the BigMatch rather than highlights from last night. Players going all out to attack the other end, with the odd head butt (Kenny Burns) thrown in for a bit of light entertainment."

Quite tasty in those days Hammie,

I wonder how the prima-donnas would cope ? , and as for some of the modern sanitised rule-book referees ....
Not a fan of playing out from the back. If we're going to lose possession then make sure it's in their half rather than ours!

One aspect of it that really hacks me off is during injury time at the end of the first half. Let's say the board goes up with one minute to play - happens a lot - then, after about 30 or 40 seconds of play, what do we and most teams do? Pass around at the back and give up any thought of mounting one final attack. Whether we're leading, drawing or losing, we should be striving to get the ball into their box or better still have a shot with that final bit of possession. Who cares if it's from the half-way line? Just SHOOT!! There's no excuse not to. Might even catch an opposition keeper off his line, and with seconds left on the clock, there's nothing to lose by trying it!
(21-04-2023, 06:38 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Good footballers know how to play the game, good managers don’t bog them down with too many instructions, they just get the best players they can afford for the different positions and let them play. Ability should not be stifled by too many fancy tactics and instructions ffs

I was watching the programme about Bale last night and Redknapp said exactly that about when at Tottenham... nothing clever, keep it simple, the tactic was for the other players to win the ball and give it to Bale
(21-04-2023, 12:55 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-04-2023, 06:38 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Good footballers know how to play the game, good managers don’t bog them down with too many instructions, they just get the best players they can afford for the different positions and let them play. Ability should not be stifled by too many fancy tactics and instructions ffs

I was watching the programme about Bale last night and Redknapp said exactly that about when at Tottenham... nothing clever, keep it simple, the tactic was for the other players to win the ball and give it to Bale

which is how AB made a success of using Le Tis 
You lot ain't much good, run around, get the ball and give it to  him!