TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Recruitment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you were in charge of recruitment this summer who would you like to bring in (realistically signings only) and how would you set up the team next season? 

Also who are you trying to ship out? 

Which out of contract players are you keeping or not?
Why don’t we try and sign Dishon Bernard? He has confirmed that he will be leaving Man Utd at the end of the season. He’s young and has plenty of potential.
Out of 13 players out of contract I’d keep Ogilvie, Oluwayemi, Hewitt-White and Gifford the rest can FRO. We should also bin Recco and Hume.
Out of the loanees I’d try and get D’Shon? and maybe Macey ( although he’s very slow at not that accurate with his distribution, I think we could do better).D’Shon and Towler would be ideal pairing for next season.

I’d get a proper No10, at least 3 wingers that can score and cross. A decent box to box midfielder. All in all I agree with Hughes in that we need at least 9 or 10 players.

We also need to play an attacking back to basics style of football ( not hoofball), we’re L1 not Champions League
(23-04-2023, 08:07 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Out of 13 players out of contract I’d keep Ogilvie, Oluwayemi, Hewitt-White and Gifford the rest can FRO. We should also bin Recco and Hume.
Out of the loanees I’d try and get D’Shon? and maybe Macey ( although he’s very slow at not that accurate with his distribution, I think we could do better).D’Shon and Towler would be ideal pairing for next season.

I’d get a proper No10, at least 3 wingers that can score and cross. A decent box to box midfielder. All in all I agree with Hughes in that we need at least 9 or 10 players.

We also need to play an attacking back to basics style of football ( not hoofball), we’re L1 not Champions League

I’d play paddy land in the 10 with to pacey wingers
Why play someone in a position they have no experience in? It’s not like playing Football Manager we need to stop putting square pegs in round holes.
(23-04-2023, 09:42 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Why play someone in a position they have no experience in? It’s not like playing Football Manager we need to stop putting square pegs in round holes.

If your on about lane he’s played the 10
He's a winger not a 10 just because he played the odd game there doesn't mean anything. Stop putting square pegs in round holes. That's one of the main reasons we're still in this shit league.
Blacket-Taylor would be my number one target.
Miles Leaburn of Charlton looks a good prospect. I remember his dad Carl was a good striker too. Miles is 19 years old 6ft 5in tall and has 11 goals to his name in 33 matches despite only starting 16 of those games. Looks like Charlton have a good one coming through their academy in the shape of Leaburn anyway
Matt Ritchie.

Being released by Newcastle, we need a statement signing, and I'm sure he wants to come back with 'unfinished business'.

Have to take a whacking great pay cut though.
Can we not look overseas? (And I dont mean the IOW).
Surely there are talented youngsters from Africa, Europe, even from the good ol' US of A, that will please our owners right?
Give them a start in the EFL with the prospect of a leg up to a premier league club?
Why are we always scratching around L1 for players who are no better that the carp we already have.
Salaries, I get it, but offering EFL football to any talent from a "poor" country has to be attractive surely?
(24-04-2023, 07:43 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Can we not look overseas? (And I dont mean the IOW).
Surely there are talented youngsters from Africa, Europe, even from the good ol' US of A, that will please our owners right?
Give them a start in the EFL with the prospect of a leg up to a premier league club?
Why are we always scratching around L1 for players who are no better that the carp we already have.
Salaries, I get it, but offering EFL football to any talent from a "poor" country has to be attractive surely?

I think taking overseas players is a big risk, particularly if they aren't internationals.
(24-04-2023, 07:43 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Can we not look overseas? (And I dont mean the IOW).

I would be looking in Ireland lots of talent over there all will
Be on cheap wages!
Yes, there are also work permit issues to overcome. I doubt it is possible to make the case for any of our recruited players to be elite, highly skilled workers, who's quality of work cannot be sourced from within The UK.
Buying abroad (or ooop north etc) can work out very well. But if you are buying young, you do need to bear in mind that a significant number of younger players miss mummy/their mates and under perform before heading "home"
Appreciate all comments on this chaps, thanks.
My idea still stands though, cant be any worse than the recruitment of the past four / five years can it?
Like all of us I am just very frustrated at yet another year in the third division. I can even put up with the scummers taunting me at work, to a point.
My comeback to them is always " how is your trophy cabinet looking?" That normally shuts them up.
If Oxford go down, will Mousinho sign any of their players? I'm sure there was a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't sign anyone during the January window.

Thought their number 39, Gatlin O'Donkor was a real handful the other night. OK, he's nowhere near the finished article and needs to improve his finishing, but at 18 years old, he looks a great prospect.
(24-04-2023, 08:50 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]If Oxford go down, will Mousinho sign any of their players? I'm sure there was a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't sign anyone during the January window.

Thought their number 39, Gatlin O'Donkor was a real handful the other night. OK, he's nowhere near the finished article and needs to improve his finishing, but at 18 years old, he looks a great prospect.

that's a good shout

Forest Green too via Hughes contacts, a very weak side but he might have one or two that can make a step up?
(24-04-2023, 08:50 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]If Oxford go down, will Mousinho sign any of their players? I'm sure there was a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't sign anyone during the January window.

There answer to Hackett-Fairchild and it sounds like he's on his bike.
(24-04-2023, 07:36 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Appreciate all comments on this chaps, thanks.
My idea still stands though, cant be any worse than the recruitment of the past four / five years can it?
Like all of us I am just very frustrated at yet another year in the third division. I can even put up with the scummers taunting me at work, to a point.
My comeback to them is always " how is your trophy cabinet looking?" That normally shuts them up.

In fact our recruitment was far better under the Trust.
What? Didn't we burn through 50 odd players ffs? One of which was that crock Tom Craddock
(24-04-2023, 10:23 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-04-2023, 07:36 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Appreciate all comments on this chaps, thanks.

In fact our recruitment was far better under the Trust.

Who the owners are of a club doesn’t really mean a lot when it comes to player recruitment unless you are suggesting Iain was drink driving round the country scouting players?
(28-04-2023, 07:00 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]What? Didn't we burn through 50 odd players ffs? One of which was that crock Tom Craddock

The 51 player season was pre-trust ownership.