TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pigott Vs Bishop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a long and very tough season to watch, we are reaching silly season.... Or for us a time to hopefully build something worthy of our 'Great City'. But getting down to the point I was going to make. Bishop is going to be in hot demand in close season, and if we cash in, we will need a replacement able to match or nearly match his record. If we are to be in with any chance of the top 6 let alone the top 2 next season.
And for me Pigott more then fills the possible void he would be leaving. His stats are better on paper, and in games he always seems to make more chances for him self from open play...... Without the goals Bishop has scored from pens, Pigott stats vs his would be even better.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams...op-scorers

I would like to keep the best players we have, and keep building like the other top teams will be doing, but I know our owners are not going to do this...

So if we can get Pigott and sell Bishop for a nice profit, do we?....

I would say one thing, next season we need some real pace around them what ever happens.
Love your Pompey posts. Are you sure you're the same person who posts all that other carp? ;-)
By the way, those stats show Pigott as playing 37 games and Bishop 48. However, very misleading as Pigott has probably played 10 minutes in many of them and Bishop played the 90 in the great majority.
(23-04-2023, 09:57 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Love your Pompey posts. Are you sure you're the same person who posts all that other carp? ;-)
By the way, those stats show Pigott as playing 37 games and Bishop 48. However, very misleading as Pigott has probably played 10 minutes in many of them and Bishop played the 90 in the great majority.

Come on dsmg the other stuff keeps you away from the sh*t on the Tell-A-Vision.
(23-04-2023, 09:51 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]After a long and very tough season to watch, we are reaching silly season.... Or for us a time to hopefully build something worthy of our 'Great City'. But getting down to the point I was going to make. Bishop is going to be in hot demand in close season, and if we cash in, we will need a replacement able to match or nearly match his record. If we are to be in with any chance of the top 6 let alone the top 2 next season.
And for me Pigott more then fills the possible void he would be leaving. His stats are better on paper, and in games he always seems to make more chances for him self from open play...... Without the goals Bishop has scored from pens, Pigott stats vs his would be even better.

I would like to keep the best players we have, and keep building like the other top teams will be doing, but I know our owners are not going to do this...

I would say one thing, next season we need some real pace around them what ever happens.

Ideally we would keep, and play, both of them.

They are different types of player and both have their strengths and weaknesses. We definitely need a big centre forward in this league, both to get on the end of crosses and to tie up defenders so others can score.

I’ve always been a fan of the ‘little and large’ forward partnership, one big player to take all the knocks and create chances for a nippy strike partner. If we sell Bishop we need to use the money wisely and get a couple of good forwards in.
Gaff, bring back Chaplin!
(23-04-2023, 10:13 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Gaff, bring back Chaplin!

We can only dream.....
Why would he drop down to the Championship. He won we lost, thanks Jackett you arsehole.
(23-04-2023, 10:13 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Gaff, bring back Chaplin!

If only I could dsmg.

My sister’s father in law is an Ipswich fan and he has been taunting me mercilessly recently  Smile .
Only joking, Blue tag. He might come back here in the twilight of his career as others have done.
(23-04-2023, 10:33 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Why would he drop down to the Championship. He won we lost, thanks Jackett you arsehole.

Except Jackett did not want to sell him, thank agents for that.
Ok. But giving him a game might have made him want to stay.
(23-04-2023, 07:41 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. But giving him a game might have made him want to stay.

I agree - from Chaplin's comments, Jackett only wanted to keep him, not play him.
(23-04-2023, 07:53 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2023, 07:41 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. But giving him a game might have made him want to stay.

I agree - from Chaplin's comments, Jackett only wanted to keep him, not play him.

At the Solent forum thing after Chaplin was sold. Jackett pointed out that at his age he had more than 100 appearances which was good development by Pompey.
We will never know now, but at that very forum Jackett was sat next to a rather sweaty and chubby looking club captain with 30 goals under his belt and looking very sheepish. Kenny Going on to say something about it being unprofessional for experienced players to return from the summer overweight. 
That might well have meant that Chaplin would have got a lot more games as Pitman was sidelined.

We will never know, but the inference was very much that Chaplin and his agent made the move happen.
(23-04-2023, 09:51 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]After a long and very tough season to watch, we are reaching silly season.... Or for us a time to hopefully build something worthy of our 'Great City'. But getting down to the point I was going to make. Bishop is going to be in hot demand in close season, and if we cash in, we will need a replacement able to match or nearly match his record. If we are to be in with any chance of the top 6 let alone the top 2 next season.

I think Bishop has been our player of the season for obvious reasons but isn't it time that he perhaps changes his approach to winning the ball? One of the few consistent referee decisions in this league is that Bishop never gets the free kick when challenging for the ball in the air. So perhaps it's time to change the approach or technique? Reminds me of when Creaney (I think) used to nod the ball out of the goalkeepers hand and never got away with it. In the end he was told by the manager to stop it. I know Bishop's only form of getting the ball at the moment is to win a hopeful punt up the field by Raggett or Robertson but what's the point if he's never going to get the decision?

As regards to Chaplin, maybe he's also scoring loads because he has an actual midfield that delivers accurate passes and crosses, and doesn't consist of players that have to stop the ball still with their foot, thinks for 20 seconds about what to do, and then find he's lost the ball or had to pass it back it back

PS: Judging by Piggotts indifference to scoring the winning goal it hardly looked like he fancies another season of mid-table league 1 football.
(24-04-2023, 09:34 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

I think Bishop has been our player of the season for obvious reasons but isn't it time that he perhaps changes his approach to winning the ball? One of the few consistent referee decisions in this league is that Bishop never gets the free kick when challenging for the ball in the air. So perhaps it's time to change the approach or technique? Reminds me of when Creaney (I think) used to nod the ball out of the goalkeepers hand and never got away with it. In the end he was told by the manager to stop it. I know Bishop's only form of getting the ball at the moment is to win a hopeful punt up the field by Raggett or Robertson but what's the point if he's never going to get the decision?

As regards to Chaplin, maybe he's also scoring loads because he has an actual midfield that delivers accurate passes and crosses, and doesn't consist of players that have to stop the ball still with their foot, thinks for 20 seconds about what to do, and then find he's lost the ball or had to pass it back it back

PS: Judging by Piggotts indifference to scoring the winning goal it hardly looked like he fancies another season of mid-table league 1 football.
Or polishing the bench.

It was a most bizarre reaction to scoring. Ogilvie approached him to congratulate him and was almost blanked. There seemed no real enthusiasm from anyone to say well done.
(24-04-2023, 11:16 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

It was a most bizarre reaction to scoring. Ogilvie approached him to congratulate him and was almost blanked. There seemed no real enthusiasm from anyone to say well done.

Piggott is a strange player, he has a decent 1st touch but is quite slow (thats being kind). But when he was knocking them in for fun @ Wimbledon he had some pace about him. I recall watching the EFL highlights & there were some when he ran onto through balls & even outpaced defenders. I'm not sure whats happened to him tbh. I hope we dont try & bring him in because I'm not sure his heart is in it anymore.
Any striker with pace would be a start, backed up by a couple of pacey geezers in midfield too. As a team we have 3 speeds: slow, slower and painfully slow.
(24-04-2023, 11:39 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Piggott is a strange player, he has a decent 1st touch but is quite slow (thats being kind). But when he was knocking them in for fun @ Wimbledon he had some pace about him. I recall watching the EFL highlights & there were some when he ran onto through balls & even outpaced defenders. I'm not sure whats happened to him tbh. I hope we dont try & bring him in because I'm not sure his heart is in it anymore.

Hard to believe he is past it, he is only 29. Is this another training issue at Pompey? I don't doubt his heart isn't in staying at Pompey, given how he's been mucked around.
(24-04-2023, 07:58 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-04-2023, 11:39 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Hard to believe he is past it, he is only 29. Is this another training issue at Pompey? I don't doubt his heart isn't in staying at Pompey, given how he's been mucked around.
Shouldn't think his wallet is too keen either.
They would pretty well have to cancel his contract and his salary would have to be bang middle of the board for it to be a reasonable deal.

I wouldn't want to price in too high against a player that has stuttered for his last couple of clubs at this level.

He seems wanting of motivation. Does he think his purple patch at AFCW entitles him to something?
Im sure there’s better than Pigott out there